Favorite # Amp types

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
Let's waste time: let's make lists. Here are my current "Favorite Ten".

"Clean"
  • Vibroverb (Brownface)
    Why: more character than Mesa clean or Shiva clean, more body than Twin or Deluxe.
    Which cab: EVM, Showman, Thunderbolt, 1x10 Gold.
  • Vox AC30TB (Class-A 30W TB)
    Why: because it's a Vox. It improves with every firmware upgrade (just wait till you hear 5.0). Instead of using traditional Alnico speaker cabs, try it with greenbacks.
    Which cab (Vox-type): 1x12 Blue, 2x12 Brit, 2x12 TopBoost Blue or Silver, 4x12 Blue.
    Which cab (Greenback-type): G12M, M75, G12M25.
"Inbetween clean and crunch"
  • Budda (Buttery)
    Why: keep it low gain and you'll hear why.
    Which cab: G12M, G12M25, M75.
"Crunch"
  • Bogner Ecstasy Blue (Euro Blue)
    Why: just listen to a couple of recent recordings with this amp type. Beats Friedman BE by a little.
    Which cab: V30 (Bogner or Marshall) or try a greenback.
"Rock"

• Cameron (Cameron ch 2)
    Why: a fast grower in popularity and a favorite among the beta testers. Try adding some Depth and disabling Bright.
    Which cab: G12H30 or H75
  • Bogner Ecstasy Red (Euro Red)
    Why: woody, thick and body. It's Blue multiplied by 5.
    Which cab: V30 (Bogner or Marshall) or Uber T75V30 or H75. Or try a greenback.
"High-gain/metal"

"Lead"

• Mesa Mark IIC+
    Why: defines "liquid" recognizable lead tone. Experiment with adding boost / input trim.
    Which cab: EVM or Recto V30 or Cali.
So you can't spot no. 10? Yep, that spot isn't filled yet.

Last edited:
For my hi-gain patches, I always seem to come back to the FAS Modern and Das Metal. For everything (and I mean everything) else, I use the Hi Power Normal.

I'm a Soldano man thru and thru. Nothing sounds like a Soldano, I found that it's alot more character than most amps (you can never mistake it for something else). I use Fender amps for clean and light breakup.

Reactions: J.C
I'm a Soldano man thru and thru. Nothing sounds like a Soldano, I found that it's alot more character than most amps (you can never mistake it for something else). I use Fender amps for clean and light breakup.

Any tips regarding settings and cab?

What about the "Corncob". I think it's insanely good. Has some real nuts and teeth to it with lots of girth and clarity. If it weren't for that model I'd use the Cameron as my go to.

Dont know. The model in the II hasn't grown on me yet.

What cab?

Dont know. The model in the II hasn't grown on me yet.

What cab?

I use mainly the 4x12 SLM G65 OH but the high have to be tamed somewhat. Low cut freq on the advanced parameter page to about 200 hz. I've been having some good success also with the 4x12 V-30 and the 4x12 German cabs as well.

Reactions: yek
Amps are cool...

Hi yek,

Cool list/thread!

FWIW: I use a combination of tube-power-amps (EL34 & EL84 equipped) into traditional 2x12 and 4x12 cabs, so I have NO advice for output-amp sims or cabs/IR's.....Sorry!

I like a lot of your choices...Here are a few of my "go-to's":

Super-Clean: USA Clean 2 - (Triaxis Green-Channel - Vintage Fat Rhythm - Mark I Blackface)

Tube-Clean/Slight-Breakup: Vibrato Verb (Fender Vibroverb)

Edgy-Rock/Breakup: Class-A 30 TB - (Vox AC-30 Top-Boost - *This amp is KILLER with a (Xotic) BB pre in-front!)

Rock: Brit 800 Mod - (Modded Marshall JCM800) - (I usually keep the pre-gain down - below 12-O'Clock to retain note-clarity)

Heavier-Rock: Brit JVM - (Marshall JVM - One of my faves! NOTE: Making this amp sound bad is like making Halle Berry LOOK bad - you CAN'T!)

Scooped-Metal: FAS 6160 - (Fractal's version of the Peavey 6160 - I tried Mesa-models, but I did better using my ear and this model!)

Prog-Rock/Metal: Das Metall - (Diezel VH4 - Channel 4 - *I play in a Tool-Tribute band, so I'd love a Diezel VH4 - Channel 3!)

*On a few of the above sounds, I combine amps by using a "parallel-split" for huge amp-blended tones! NOTE: Beware of phasing-issues when trying this!

Bill

Last edited:
Reactions: yek
I have to get to something, but will throw in...

Fender Twin
Vox AC30TB
Matchless Chieften
Trainwreck
JCM800
Friedman BE
Friedman HBE
XTC Blue
XTC Red
Cameron Channel 2
Shiva Clean
Shiva OD

I know that's more than 10, but with X/Y, it's hardly 6!

*All based on the Axe-FX II versions and all IMHO.

I have to get to something, but will throw in...

Fender Twin
Vox AC30TB
Matchless Chieften
Trainwreck
JCM800
Friedman BE
Friedman HBE
XTC Blue
XTC Red
Cameron Channel 2
Shiva Clean
Shiva OD

I know that's more than 10, but with X/Y, it's hardly 6!

*All based on the Axe-FX II versions and all IMHO.
(sigh) SIdetrack..
I would love to hear your take on why both BE and HBE. I love the BE, and have not spent much time with the HBE yet, figuring it would not be too much different. Sidenote to the sidetrack: one of my favorite DF Marshall mods is the C45. I am a sucker for darker, singing tones that are not true "blanket" tones, and when I heard his BE and C45 stuff.. wow... The Angry Hippie and all were a bit too much gain in most demos, so the C45 became my "covet" tone :D

Back
Top Bottom