I'm about to rant, don't read if wasily offended.

Not inexpensive, but compared to ARRI Alexa @ $90,000 and up, and Sony F65 @ around $70,000+, the RED EPIC ($39k, 300FPS, 5K rez) & Scarlet ($15K, up to 5K), are the size of a Canon 5D, record up to 5K (versus Alexa 1080 HD), and are made in California.

Oh, and RED is revolutionizing how films and TV shows are being made.

Music/Audio hardware/software is another place where there are US made products leading the way. A few of my favorites are MOTU, Metric-Halo, Spectrasonics and East-West.
hey I've heard about RED before. Considering Bollywood is beating the US in the movie department, we gotta do something right? true enough about audio and video are the only things we got. But that can't sustain the US forever you know. Oh economical theories, I don't miss you :lol

also consider the US doesn't make much stuff anymore so that alone could be a reason. The US is a country that lives off of imports. Other countries would probably laugh at a US guy for exporting US made products. Maybe that stigma is what is taking FAS so long. I can't think of anything else except handmade instruments that the US still makes in its own soil that is actually worth the money. Anyone wanna chime in?

Sorry - I gotta dispute that. The perception that "America doesn't make stuff anymore" stems from a comparison to the 1950's when the US economy was basically the only one still functioning after WWII. At that time nearly 60% of all manufactured goods in the entire world were being made in the US.

America obviously has nowhere near that kind of market share anymore, but c'mon, it still makes a LOT of stuff. Way, way more than Australia makes, and we're doing pretty well.

The money is in highly skilled manufacture, not in unskilled factory workers. Low-grade goods manufacture has all moved offshore, but hi-grade stuff is all being made in the US. And the US is doing very well.

Some examples - all business software is developed in the USA, with the exception of SAP (German). Eg - Microsoft, Oracle, Siebel, IBM. Look up their annual revenues - they are mind-blowing. Australia spends far more on imported software than on imported plasticware, trust me.

America still leads the world in all aspects of high-end technology. Not just Apple consumer crud (sorry, I just hate Apple, personal thing), but things like mining machinery, electricity generation controller systems, air traffic radar systems, etc. The weird stuff that you'd probably not think about, but which represents massive sums of money.

The internet is almost entirely run by American companies - Google, Facebook, Amazon, etc. Facebook is about to go public and is expected to be valued at $100B.

Summary - I'm not sure why an Australian has to argue with Americans about how successful America is, but there ya go.

The money is in highly skilled manufacture, not in unskilled factory workers. Low-grade goods manufacture has all moved offshore, but hi-grade stuff is all being made in the US. And the US is doing very well.

Some examples - all business software is developed in the USA, with the exception of SAP (German). Eg - Microsoft, Oracle, Siebel, IBM. Look up their annual revenues - they are mind-blowing. Australia spends far more on imported software than on imported plasticware, trust me.

America still leads the world in all aspects of high-end technology. Not just Apple consumer crud (sorry, I just hate Apple, personal thing), but things like mining machinery, electricity generation controller systems, air traffic radar systems, etc. The weird stuff that you'd probably not think about, but which represents massive sums of money.

The internet is almost entirely run by American companies - Google, Facebook, Amazon, etc. Facebook is about to go public and is expected to be valued at $100B.

Summary - I'm not sure why an Australian has to argue with Americans about how successful America is, but there ya go.
bwahaha you're a good man Manning :) sorry my generation is kinda on the horrible side when it comes to learning and facts. I got a long way to go at the age of 20 :lol

At least it wasn't a particular guitar player who spams the internet with his latest 'toys' ...........oh wait a sec, he did get one lol :(

One of the reasons I lost hope for America is by watching commercials for really useless things. I've never been so dumbfounded on how much comfort we have and we still go the extra mile into making ourselves even more useless. Example, this thing that squeezes a perfect amount of toothpaste every time you use it. Apparently we can't squeeze toothpaste like every other person.

It it wasn't clear in my original post, I'll clarify. I bought the Ultra had for a year (after a lengthy wait), then when the Axe Fx 2 was announced, I sold it, thinking that i'd have the new unit soon. I still have the MFC and fortunately, I have use of an Ultra for recording. So to make it clear, I don't actually own an Axe Fx, although I have already paid for the 2, waiting for it to be shipped next month.

I did however, speak to Matt Picone who explained things a little better to my moderate satisfaction and enough to restore my faith in Fractal.

I didn't intend to stir any controversy and a lot of things that weren't apparent earlier have been made clear to me now. Can we put this one down to a heat of the moment rant and not hold it against me?

Pretty please?

Last edited:
It it wasn't clear in my original post, I'll clarify. I bought the Ultra had for a year (after a lengthy wait), then when the Axe Fx 2 was announced, I sold it, thinking that i'd have the new unit soon. I still have the MFC and fortunately, I have use of an Ultra for recording. So to make it clear, I don't actually own an Axe Fx, although I have already paid for the 2, waiting for it to be shipped next month.

I did however, speak to Matt Picone who explained things a little better to my moderate satisfaction and enough to restore my faith in Fractal.

I didn't intend to stir any controversy and a lot of things that weren't apparent earlier have been made clear to me now. Can we put this one down to a heat of the moment rant and not hold it against me?

Pretty please?

Well, I have to ask-So terrible F##ki## customer service, etc, etc wasn't meant to stir anything up? Sorry, I for one don't buy it. You don't need our forgiveness pal. You insulted a great "SMALL BUSINESS" with a real good rep.
EAxzactly what you expected happened, unless of course you live in a bizzarro negative universe where F** You and stuff means I like you

I am just blown away that Chevy sends car after car to the Nascar guys and they just wreck em and I am still waiting for my camaro. Those bastards! :)

...and I am still waiting on my Senn headphones that have been in Europe for months and not available here. Ungrateful Germans! :)

Last edited:
Well, I have to ask-So terrible F##ki## customer service, etc, etc wasn't meant to stir anything up? Sorry, I for one don't buy it. You don't need our forgiveness pal. You insulted a great "SMALL BUSINESS" with a real good rep.
EAxzactly what you expected happened, unless of course you live in a bizzarro negative universe where F** You and stuff means I like you

I made my comment based on my opinion, formed from available facts at the time. It still doesn't excuse the horrendous waiting list time however fantastic Fractal are.

I've apologised, what more do you want from me?

Sam trying to play peacemaker?? Sheesh give it up, he is useless at this kind of thing...Americans you know...

:mrgreen
I hear fighting words! Time to occupy your country and kick out all the drunks and close the bars so we can drink and put our own bars there and get thrown out after a decade of solving something that no one was clear on :lol yeah I got nothing.

I hear fighting words! Time to occupy your country and kick out all the drunks and close the bars so we can drink and put our own bars there and get thrown out after a decade of solving something that no one was clear on :lol yeah I got nothing.

Welcome to Ireland my drunken friend!! :lol

:lol

This thread started as a rant and turned into a roast. I love it!!

Standard procedure as far as showing some dissatisfaction toward some aspects of Fractal is concerned. But in the end, it's always the choice of a prospective buyer to vote with his dollars.

Back
Top Bottom