Hermida Z Cab "Full Range Conversion?????"

Galo

Experienced
I just converted one of my Hermida Z ported cab to a full range speaker cab thanks to Eminence Speakers and Hermida Audio...to my surprise it sounds great...ran pink noise, analysed and again to my surprise its pretty flat...just a little bump at 500 and 2k. BINGO got me another full range speaker cab!!!

View attachment 6373

Actually to me it sounds as good as the K10 and moded JBL JRX112 I have...I do have to lean it some to me so I don't loose some of the high end, like a monitor. Temporally I use hot glue for the L-pad...if it comes off then I'll drill on the cab... didn't want to drill on it yet. I think this is a keeper...we'll see!!!

Here are the parts I used.
12" speaker Beta 12CX
High Frequency ASD:1001
Volume PXL L-pad
x-ver PXB23k5

Regular street parts costs for this mod should be no more than $150 to $175. Plus the cab of course. You could probably order an empty cab from Hermida.
Hope this helps.

Just did another a/b with the JBL's...side by side and and it blows away the JBL's by a mile. Lots of details. The JBL's sound like is covered with a blanket. I'm really surprise. FWEIW

I sold my K10, it has this software compression that would turn the volume down at high volumes...this mod blows the K10 away dynamically!!! It also feels more like a guitar amp on stage. BOY!!! I'm on my second week with it...100% satisfied...FWEIW

Thanks for the info!

I've been considering the Beta 12CX and tweeter combo in a thiele style cabinet. Glad to hear the Beta 12CX performs so well.

Max ur welcome...I have only tried iy on the Hermida. If you do try it keep us informed.

Scott, I used it in a few gigs already and it blows away the K10 I was using...it also feels more like a guitar speaker cab.

Parts arrived yesterday and I loaded them into a Mesa Thiele cab and hooked up to an Axe w/ a Matrix GT800FX.

First impression - this is really loud! At volume it sounds like a cranked Thiele cab but with the Axe's power amp and speaker sims! Definitely the cranked Mesa Thiele cab sound. The low end on the Das Metal and other gainy patches were brutal, punchy and crisp! I need more time with the Fender & Vox cleans to try to get them right. Everything you've heard about or would expect from a thiele ported 1x12 w/ an efficient speaker - loud, present, crisp, punchy and thumpy - it's there.

When my ears stopped ringing (this morning) I tried lower/bedroom volume tests. Serious problems with standing wave noise in the cab at low volume, so I stuffed some foam in through the ports to get a quick evaluation - seems to complement nearfield monitors, the monitors have more detail but the cab felt more 'cab in the room'. Nice to switch between monitors and the cab.

I'm going to put some fiberglass in the cab later today or tomorrow and see if I can fix the bass issue at lower volume.

I looked at the dimensions of the Mesa Thiele, Mesa Widebody Thiele, Hermida ported and Glaswerks ported. The Mesa Thiele and Hermida are very close on cabinet volume. The Mesa Widebody and Glaswerks had more cabinet volume but were close to each other in volume. The unloaded price on the Hermida makes it tempting.

Very cool...please if you can please keep me updated...

Parts arrived yesterday and I loaded them into a Mesa Thiele cab and hooked up to an Axe w/ a Matrix GT800FX.

First impression - this is really loud! At volume it sounds like a cranked Thiele cab but with the Axe's power amp and speaker sims! Definitely the cranked Mesa Thiele cab sound. The low end on the Das Metal and other gainy patches were brutal, punchy and crisp! I need more time with the Fender & Vox cleans to try to get them right. Everything you've heard about or would expect from a thiele ported 1x12 w/ an efficient speaker - loud, present, crisp, punchy and thumpy - it's there.

When my ears stopped ringing (this morning) I tried lower/bedroom volume tests. Serious problems with standing wave noise in the cab at low volume, so I stuffed some foam in through the ports to get a quick evaluation - seems to complement nearfield monitors, the monitors have more detail but the cab felt more 'cab in the room'. Nice to switch between monitors and the cab.

I'm going to put some fiberglass in the cab later today or tomorrow and see if I can fix the bass issue at lower volume.

I looked at the dimensions of the Mesa Thiele, Mesa Widebody Thiele, Hermida ported and Glaswerks ported. The Mesa Thiele and Hermida are very close on cabinet volume. The Mesa Widebody and Glaswerks had more cabinet volume but were close to each other in volume. The unloaded price on the Hermida makes it tempting.

The bass problem was occurring at volumes lower than the cabinet was designed for so I tried hanging a towel over the bass ports when using at bedroom levels. Problem solved. Fiberglass in the cab was not needed.

It has punch like a guitar cab and detail with cab sims.

Glad is working out for you...I just roll off some of the 63 herts band in the eq of the Axe-FX for speaker safety.
adios

I think it should sound similar to the Atomic FR's.
They have an Eminence woofer - type unknown (DG09-12-023) and ASD 1001 Tweeter.
I would have preferred it if they used a coaxial speaker as well.
I'm still wondering how this would sound with four of those in a closed 4 x 12" cab.

That would be an expensive experiment!!! But if you do keep us in touch.
I'll be using box today at an outdoor festival.
I'll report on it.
adios

Back
Top Bottom