To anyone else who also just received their Axe-Fx II ... how is your fan noise?

@mirrored1ne: Great info, thanks. Though I don't think I said anything that should be interpreted as cranky - I just wanted to know if perhaps I had a defective fan in which case I would have to deal with support. Otherwise, if the fan is normal then it is up to me to deal with it by getting used to it or replacing it. No big deal, just wanted info on which way to go.

what about your power quality? That seems odd that you have flucuations. Is it obvious that the sound gets louder when you really load down the processors? or is it random? If random, it might be worth an e-mail to fractal support?

WTF kind of an answer is that?
Frankly, it's in the same vein as your "WTF" response. People responding to what is perceived as a rude reply with more rudeness is precisely the sort of snarky behavior that elicited your sarcastic "Great forum!" comment.

Last edited:
"If it bugs you, then swap it out for a quieter fan and get on with life."

Get on with life? WTF kind of an answer is that? Great forum! I'd wonder the same thing...since I've never owned one, but I've tried to many times since June 6th.?

It's real life advice. it is a great forum. Not for snarky retorts like yours though. Get some humor and relax. Folks are wound up so tight they are popping like corn in hot oil.

what about your power quality? That seems odd that you have flucuations. Is it obvious that the sound gets louder when you really load down the processors? or is it random? If random, it might be worth an e-mail to fractal support?

Power is ok, nothing else is exhibiting any problems. Plugged into a Furman PL-8C.

I think this is just the fan. But yes, maybe I will contact support anyway.

i would my ultra certainly doesn't have those fluctuations, they are subtle but i can definitely hear them in your audio example. let us know what happens

Wow, just accept that noise? Really?

I don't know about you folks but having that humming away in the control room I'm typing in would almost get it slung out the window!

Buy a new fan and drop it in yourself? WTF is this, amateur hour?

i would my ultra certainly doesn't have those fluctuations, they are subtle but i can definitely hear them in your audio example. let us know what happens

Glad that someone else can hear them. I agree, they seem subtle in the recording - in person a little more prominent. Here are the time markers where I hear the fluctuations: 0:07, 0:11, 0:16, 0:18, 0:20, 0:24, 0:28, 0:36, 0:38.

I just e-mailed support and will let everyone know what they say - just need to know if this is normal.

the fan noise doesn't bother me at all, i would be more worried about the fluctuations and problems down the line past the 1 year warranty

A little OT, but please any of you who already got the box: can you please measure the dimensions of the box that it was shipped in? Weight would be nice too. Thanks :)

Can I hear a church plate reverb with that fan noise please??

Just kidding bro. Fan noise or not ur in an envious position by many of us who are ii'less. I'd say play it out see how u feel. Maybe over a short time ull grow use to it. Everyones hearing is different. I can hear a person chewing with there mouth full a mile away while My wife can't. If in time it's still bothering you get in touch with cliff I'm sure he'll give u options. If you don't want to go the official route as stated swap the fan.

But either way enjoy the ii

Danny

Thanks everybody - I just heard back from support and the answer is ..... "They all do that."

So, I'm not crazy but it is normal. So I am happy because now I can move on. It is up to me to acclimate to the fan or replace it if need be.

Can't believe the first customer supplied Axe II soundclip is of fan noise!

I was struck by the improvement in the fans "Tone"!
Wow!! Smooth and articulate!
It just sounds more realistic to my ears. Without so many of the digital artifacts, the Ultras fan tone had.
And the response to "touch" is unreal!
I mean didn't you hear when he clicked on the power how smoothly it reached it's operating RPMs?
Holy S@#t! This thing is the "Real Deal"! And I'm not easily impressed like that....
;-)

-Chris

I don't know about you folks but having that humming away in the control room I'm typing in would almost get it slung out the window!
Is there a critical listening situation where you couldn't turn it off?

Back
Top Bottom