EVM12l and the GT800 FR

To respond to my own post:

My GT800FX is in, it's doing fine and I 'm experimenting with cab sims.

I get much better results now with the 3rd party IRs than yesterday. I think I can live happily ever after without cab sims at all for live performances. Clean and high-gain stuff sounds fine without them. But for tones like Plexi and Wrecker and crunch tones in general the cab colorizing is pretty important. And it looks like the Ownhammer IRs (TC 30-1) can get me there. Using cab sims does adds mids and I have to take care not getting a mushy. But it's doable.

Most of what I play is semi-clean to semi-dirty. Mids are everything in that area. That's part of why I prefer to use cab sims ON in a live environment. The way I used 3rd Party IR's was to create two parallel cabs each with a different speaker IR using either a TC30 or KM 84 (for early Redwirez) mic model and pan each cab out about 30-45 degrees from the other.

The two different IR's would be chosen to compliment the amp in question. For example, with a Dr. Z amp I would use a Redwirez G12H30 speakerbox IR (TC30 cap edge 0") on one side and a Redwirez AC30 Blues (KM84 Cap Edge 0") on the other. For me, using them like this lost me nothing in clarity and got me an extra dose of realism in mids complexity.

As I have said before, with high gain patches, the higher the gain, the more the effect of using a cab sim live is negated.

Last edited:
Hi smilefan,

thanks for your reply, I give the EVMs the pounding they need, don´t worry. Maybe thats the reason why our neighbour at the rehearsal room (who is a lawyer) showed up yesterday and complained about the noise :mrgreen
Anyway, again I was amazed how sweet my new rig sounds, though the new quality of sound reproduction reveals the flaws in my presets, details I did not hear before. Have to start working on them again for the better.

Do they install the speakers or is it a DIY situation?

TT-cabs will install the EVM12L for you if you order it with the cabs. sk them also for breaking in the EVM's. More over you can choose a lot of different looks and hardware lay outs.

Just Dirk an email and you will be fine.

If 'breaking in' comes as an option with a cab build, get it! EVM's are the most stubborn speaker
to break in, as they are so overbuilt. All these folks commenting on EVM's haven't even heard
the true performance of the speaker until its broken in on a Variac or had the crap beat out of it
at concert volume for about 8-10 hours. If you heard the before/after difference you would be shocked.

Last edited:
Reactions: yek
this thread has caught my attention. Yek mentioned earlier that with the EVM 12l's they lose some frequencies in the highs etc...and that the violin preset/synth still sound reasonable. I know these speakers are not true FRFR but in the traditional cab world--could you consider these the flattest drivers? i am still a bit unclear as to whether or not cab sims sound great with this setup...or is it just that a person 'can' and get good results? i am really on the fence about keeping with cab/poweramp or going FRFR and sense that although the FRFR can soudn amazing it still sounds flat to the player.

i love the 'amp in the room' sound and really don't want to spend endless amounts of time tweaking with cab sims etc...but at the same time i would like to play my piezo music man through the evm 12's and sound good. is this possible?

I am considering port city wave os cabs with these speakers. any thoughts? thx

AFAIK, and looking at their specs, these are typical of guitar speakers in the high freqencies with a marked drop in the 4 to 6 KHz range. They are certainly not "the flattest drivers".

I have a question of my own:

Given the GT800 amp was designed in part by comparison to a VHT, and that the EVM12Ls are renowned for big bass at big volumes, is this combination mainly aimed at metal styles?

What are people's experiences with this setup for clean, country, blues and "soft rock" styles? Are there more suitable alternatives?

Given the GT800 amp was designed in part by comparison to a VHT, and that the EVM12Ls are renowned for big bass at big volumes, is this combination mainly aimed at metal styles?

What are people's experiences with this setup for clean, country, blues and "soft rock" styles? Are there more suitable alternatives?

The GT seems like a neutral amp to me, not aimed at metal or whatever. It's "just" a power amp.

And EVM have been used thropughout the years for all kinds of music. There have been Twin Reverbs with them, clean Mesas, the CarolAnn (blues amp) uses them etc.

thx yek - I'm just curious about this alternative at the moment, having used FRFR long enough now to know how to send a signal to FOH thay can't screw up too badly :)

Last edited:
I just wrote this in a Lounge thread about a festival:

>> After watching the bands, funny thing is I realized how I like that guitar players have a 'signature' tone. The bands' guitar players all played with one or two amps. That's something I want to keep in mind. I like fooling around with different amps in the Axe, but when playing live I try to use just 2 or 3 for my clean / crunch / gain / lead tones. Using a different amp for every tune as some people do, does remind me of wedding party bands and the like <<

As much as I like fooling around with amps and cab sims at home through studio monitors (and will continue to do this), I feel I'm moving back to a more simple approach for my live sound, using my EVMs without cab sims, having the punch of a real cab and power amp, using just a few amop sims and maintaining consistency in my live tones.

FR offers so much possibilities and it's great for monitoring, but I rediscovered the joy and benefits of the poweramp+real cab approach.

I just wrote this in a Lounge thread about a festival:

>> After watching the bands, funny thing is I realized how I like that guitar players have a 'signature' tone. The bands' guitar players all played with one or two amps. That's something I want to keep in mind. I like fooling around with different amps in the Axe, but when playing live I try to use just 2 or 3 for my clean / crunch / gain / lead tones. Using a different amp for every tune as some people do, does remind me of wedding party bands and the like <<

As much as I like fooling around with amps and cab sims at home through studio monitors (and will continue to do this), I feel I'm moving back to a more simple approach for my live sound, using my EVMs without cab sims, having the punch of a real cab and power amp, using just a few amop sims and maintaining consistency in my live tones.

FR offers so much possibilities and it's great for monitoring, but I rediscovered the joy and benefits of the poweramp+real cab approach.

Yek, you could not said it better.

I also came to the conclusion that on stage I want pushy balls in my sound and at home or studio I want HIFI quality. And if this mean two different patches I say so be it!

Regards

Well, I finally got to put my EVM12L into my Mesa 1x12 Theile cab....and do some A/B against my Verve 12ma. I powered my Mesa cab with an ART SLA2.

I certainly hear what you guys are talking about in regards to having more balls with the EVM12L. Definitely less sterile...more organic feel (for lack of a better way to describe it). Cleans were less 'flat' sounding with the EV, and the high gain tones cut better.

I still really like the concept of having my monitor sound be the same signal that's going to FOH so I know what is being projected out into the room....but the EV solution is surely workable if you're willing to spend the extra time dialing in a FOH feed via studio monitors (Output 1) and dialing in the EV tone for your stage sound (Output 2).

I was pretty much expecting these results, being that I was going back to a power amp / guitar cab set up....but I guess the thing that surprised me, was how well the cab sims worked with the EV speaker.

Definitely a nice little set up going that route.

When I did A/B back over to my Verve, I was not disappointed with the Verve.
Does the EV sound like a bad ass tube guitar amp? Hell yeah it does.
Does the Verve still sound excellent? It certainly does.

I'm still unsure as to what I'll do in the future.... (but two great options is better than one)

Claxor and I demo'ed my VHT 2/90/2 against his GT800 thru two EVM 12L cabs. The VHT is a bit more natural with soft rock styles. Warmer
and less precise than the sounds we got out of the GT800. The GT800 excelled at metal (as you suspected) and cleans with alot of FX.
However, the differences were small, and could be compensated for at the Axe. The difference was close enough that I sold my VHT
and bought a GT800 (as it offers drastic advantage in weight/size/maintenance over VHT).

Last edited:
The EVM12L's arrived yesterday. First I had to tune the TT-cabs. With the help of Dirk, the owner of TT-cabs, I decided for cutting one port in the baffle to tune the cabinet at the wanted freq. This gave me also a quick insight of the used material TT-cabs used for their baffle. Well as aspected good quality layered quality wood.

First impression of the EVM's in the tuned TT-cabs powered with the GT800 is very positive. This was only with music for breaking the drivers in. With the ART Dual tube EQ it was even possible to dial in a hifi sound. This means I can use this setup also for small garden events when we have a barbeque :). Thus the Beyma's will be sold.

Next week the Axe-Fx will go through this new setup and new patch building will start. I am convinced I have found the holy grail for the perfect sounding backline.

I want to thank Smilefan and Yek for pointing out this combination of amp, cabinet and driver!

Regards

Reactions: yek
The GT800FX/EVMs combination is very satisfactory.

I'm not using any cab sims with the (real) EVMs at the moment, and I'm liking it.
Makes things such as dialing in the amps MUCH easier too. Sticking close to amp defaults a lot of the time.
Not using cab sims with the EVMs of course does make tones more similar, but I like that as a matter of fact (consistency).
I do always up the Low-Cut to 80Hz (if the default is below that value) with "older" amps.

On the grid I split the signal (after all other blocks) into one row with PEQ and user cab sim (connected to Output, Out1), and another with just a FXL block (not connected to Output on the grid, Out2). Power amp and cab sim are ON.

Tip: I'm able to get the "real EVM" tone (Out2) quite close to the "cab sim" tone (Out1) through my Adam monitors, using the Ownhammer EVL-12M / TC30-1 IR, and putting a PEQ before the cab sim to tame some highs. Of course you won't get the punch of the real cabs with the Matrix, as talked about in previous posts. :) But this sounds similar and very nice at low (home) volume level. Also nice for recording and going direct to FOH (you may want to use the SM57-4 IR in this scenario).

Last edited:
Well maybe we should do a BBQ for only Axe-Fx/GT800FX/TT-Cabs owners. All the Europeans would be welcome and we ask G66/Matrix/TT-cabs to subsidise this event.
And of course Sussi, Andy and Matt, and Dirk would be the honoured guests of the event. And we can ask Jenz to play some relax Jazzy tunes.

How about that!

Definitively a contender for a top position in the "Great ideas which never will become reality but still are great ideas" list. :mrgreen

Back
Top Bottom