Red Bear Picks?

I got the Jazz pick sized one with holes. Great pick but I'm back to using the Ultex Jazz IIIs again. For some reason the Red Bear slips in my fingers.

I have a number of Red Bears. Best picks I have ever used (I have tried so many different picks over the years), and they last forever. The one's with holes really do give me grip.

I have never lost one yet and worth every bit IMHO

I have one, I like the pick sound they make
they do last quite awhile

these aren't the kind of picks you lose, they're like having expensive sunglasses
so naturally, you don't treat them like truck stop sunglasses

ya i ordered the jazz III size too. how was the tone?

Honestly, the tone is like the Jazz IIIs. If I recorded using either I'm almost willing to bet money that you won't hear a difference. The feel is the big difference. For some reason, the RB gets slick in my fingers when I play, even with the holes. If it weren't for that, I think I'd be using it a lot more. Jmho.

They are very nice. They are brighter; it's a great feeling pick. I have worn out three of them. At $20 a pick, it's really hard to buck up and buy more though. I'm a normal Joe, not a rock star. They last pretty long, but a few months each and they are done for me. Meh. I'm using Clayton 1.52m now. Just as nice, much cheaper, no holes though. I do like the Red Bear holes.

I bought one of the Tuff Tone Jazz III type Red Bear picks because I wanted to test a pick that was a little bit bigger than a Dunlop Jazz III. The feel of the pick is good, but quite honestly, I find it makes a significant amount of that chirping pick attack sound. This is not a sound I usually go for. Maybe the regular series sounds different.

I either end up using an Ultex Jazz III or an Eric Johnson Jazz III. Lately I've been using the EJ Jazz III mostly.

For some reason, the RB gets slick in my fingers when I play, even with the holes. If it weren't for that, I think I'd be using it a lot more. Jmho.
Try washing the hands and the pick(s) with soap before playing. Does wonders for the grip.

$20 picks are Nature's way of telling you that you have too much money. :lol:

:)

I change pick gauges so often that there's no way that I could afford the assortment I'd need to be happy. Each one has such a different sound and feel that depending on what I'm in the mood to play it can impact me.

Changing picks allows me to instantly go from bad sounding and sloppy to a decent tone and sloppy.

I need to cut some $700 ultra-premium picks on a laser cutter I have access to. I could cut them from dinosaur poop for authentic vintage tones.

I need to cut some $700 ultra-premium picks on a laser cutter I have access to. I could cut them from dinosaur poop for authentic vintage tones.

I know.. the price is crazy but the BlueChip is amazing.
The tone is like..... wow.... day and night difference.
Maybe I'll record something tonight..... something like JazzIII vs BlueChip.... prase by phrase
to showcase the dramatic difference I hear.

8)

There are expensive & superior picks that never wear out. I have all the expensive picks. I've tried everything.

Blue Chips do sound terrific. But I don't like any of the shapes, not precise enough for my speedpicking stuff. I like a "jazz" pointy tip, but a normal-sized pick. They don't currently have anything like that.
I have a Red Bear and it's very good, it's my #3 pick. The Classic Plus is their new pick, which is totally my style, pointy and not tiny. Unfortunately these picks do wear out.

Here's my top 2 picks.

#2) I got a 1mm jazz-tipped standard-sized pick from www.picksandstones.com - it's not on listed on the site, but he does make them if you email him. I got 2 for $52 during a sale and they are totally beautiful. These are the best pick I've ever played with for sweep picking and the tone is killer. Lasts forever if you don't drop it on a cement floor or something. But yeah I don't like to play ultra-fast speedpicked stuff on the highest 2 strings with these. Not quite accurate enough for that at breakneck speed.
#1) http://www.obbligatoinc.com/ Obbligato (black diamond pick they call it). I actually helped create a pointy pick for them which they will be selling under my name. You might think I'm biased haha, but read on. I bought their standard (non-pointed) pick and because the tone was so gorgeous I worked with them on several variations until we settled on 2 different models. These are $30 - $50 - I know I know, but they do last forever, so it's ok for me. Just don't lose it. I carry mine around my neck on a necklace. Looks cool too. These are the most accurate picks I've ever used for shred and all-around everything. Amazing harmonics, feel and tone. And the tip is pointy but rounded by hand just perfect. Perfect combo of precision and smoothness.

I'll let you guys know about what's different between the $30, $40 and $50 offerings from Obbligato if you're interested. Just ping me or answer here in the thread. You can even get them with Tiger's Eye handles and other cool options. Or with your name / logo on it.

-Brian

Last edited:
In the meanwhile, Paul Gilbert uses el-cheapo Dunlops, and he sounds all right to me. :) Personally, I keep trying all kinds of things, and I always return to Jazz Ultex IIIs, although the pointy normal-sized Ultexes are also pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom