FM3 Firmware Version 8.00 beta 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't understand the topic of resetting the amp block. I looked at the topic on the wiki. Do I have to reset the amp block for all presets after importing the new firmware or not? I want to avoid having to readjust the EQ etc. for my 50 presets...that took a long time to set them the way they are now.
You can highlight as many of the presets in the Preset Manager as you wish to reset. This can take several minutes to process , make sure to save when finished.

That said, if your satisfied with you custom presets than don’t change a thing or change one at a time when you are ready.

It’s like eating an elephant, one bite at a time.

Having a bit of a challenging time due to neurological issues, but this firmware is still quite inspiring for me atm. I believe I now understand why Cliff said he "spent hours playing" (or whatever he said) with this firmware.

When the original Cygnus came out it was a great update for me. Fast runs felt more natural as there was more "thump" to the notes. More feedback for my picking and mutes. I made several comparisons to tube amps back then and was quite satisfied with the results.

Moreover, knowing how close the original Cygnus was to the real tube amps I had compared against, at some point the question in my mind became: "But what can be improved for amp sims? If blind audio tests I make are this close... what else is there to do?".

There were several answers in my mind. For example, I believed the RV50 could be improved, maybe some master vol behaviour with some other sim could, etc etc. And just going by the history of updates, you could come up with some answers with probably good predictive power. But the "core" for most sims I tested was very satisfying.

Saying this, ever since I begun profiling amps when kemper came out... and before that too, being involved in pickup design.. I realized what a big difference "feel" can make. Differences can be hard to hear, depending on context, monitoring... But seemingly small tonal changes can be rather meaningful. It is not always true, but some times it is; and I am not sure it's just us guitarists "hyper fixating" or obsessing over trivialities.

For me, Cygnus x3 falls in this special category of a significant feel improvement. With tweaking, I am fairly sure X2 and X3 can sound very similar (and blind feel tests are also possible). But some times what appears to be trivial ends up significant.

I cannot do the math behind this, but it's clear when I pick up my guitar: Cygnus x3 has a lot of "soul".

You can highlight as many of the presets in the Preset Manager as you wish to reset. This can take several minutes to process , make sure to save when finished.

You don’t have to hit save when finished. This process saves each preset as it goes through them.

The other thing to watch out for is the Tone Control Display on the FM3 (Setup > Global Settings > Config > Tone Control Display). Set this to Ideal before running the process to preserve your tone control settings. If it is set to authentic, the update process will reset the tone controls to default values as well. If set to Ideal, the update process will leave the tone controls at their current values.

Thanxs for this amazing update!

I just spent 2 hours on it with just IN-AMP-CAB-OUT:).

I don't know what you did but I feel like I have a totally different and brand new modeler. :)

I play only old Marshall cause that's what I'm used to and I love those amps because they are raw, reactive, dynamic and have a lot of "anger" in them.

Before this update I struggled a lot with the dynamics, to get the simple "real feel"when playing some legato lines, always struggled to have to put more gain than I wanted to to have this feel and dynamic.
Now it sounds amazing, the feel is absolutely there, I just can't stop playing. Forget the comp, the mutlibandcompressor, enhancer etc. I don't need them anymore. Everything's got depth and is amazing to play.

I just took my 2 usual Irs panned left/right and set a 1970 PLEXI and that's it. just like I would play a real amp and everything is amazing...
here's a quick "tired fingers" noodling.

But Still I have the IN block noise gate BUG :

as I mentioned here I STILL have this horrible slapback noise with Intelligent Gate type in the Input block. And the settings are factory settings.
Easy Mode thresh: -60 rel: 100.00ms

here's the fw8 intelligent vs classic.

everything else seems to work fine.

Thanks again for that update!

So I am the only one with this persistent bug??
Nobody have a problem with the intelligent gate in the input block?
I repost the bug here.

Settings are what ever comes when you reset the block.

I'm having problems with the effects loop. I reset presets, reset amps, try different cables, but when I connect a pedal and increase the volume, there is some kind of feedback. If I don't use the effects loop the problem doesn't appear
I had this issue and mucked around with the Output settings. It wasn't a problem with the last firmware, but when I changed SETTINGS > AUDIO > OUTPUT CONFIG > OUTPUT 2 > OUTPUT 2 COPY > from 'Output 1' -> 'None' then the feedback loop went away.

It makes sense that it would create a feedback loop like this, but in the previous version, I never had a problem.

Hope that helps.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-17 at 9.13.27 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-17 at 9.13.27 PM.png
    30.5 KB · Views: 20
Installed the beta yesterday and used it last night at rehearsal. No hiccups at all, worked great! Sounds phenomenal too!!!

FM3 Firmware Version 8.00 beta 1 is available:
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/fm3/8p0/fm3_dsp_rel_8p00_beta_1.zip

A new version of FM3-Edit is required:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm3-edit-1-06-08-to-support-fw-8-00-public-beta.203658/

Release Notes:

Gapless Preset/Scene/Channel Switching​

A new parameter SETUP > Global Settings > Config > Gapless Changes has three settings: Off, Channel & Scene, and “All” (Preset, Scene, Channel). Note that channel switching speed has been improved in general even with this setting turned off. For preset changes to use the new gapless switching, two conditions must be met:

• Setup > Global Settings > Config > Spillover must be set to “ALL”
  • Your presets must be saved under firmware 8.x or newer. You can do this manually in any of the usual ways or use the automatic utility in: SETUP > Utilities > Preset > Upgrade All Presets.
    IMPORTANT: Saving a preset under 8.x makes it incompatible with previous firmware versions!
    Use Fractal-Bot to make a backup first in case you ever revert to an older firmware. Make backups!

NEW CYGNUS X-3 AMP MODELING​

Cygnus X-3 is the latest amp modeling technology for Axe-Fx III, FM9, and FM3. It improves the sound, feel, and accuracy of the models, making them closer to their real world counterparts, with more rumble and bite and other nasty things that tube amps do.
  • Nearly all amps have been “remastered” using new measurement techniques and analytical methods.
  • Existing presets are NOT altered. A hard or soft reset will load the updated values.
  • Improved Preamp, Power Amp, and Output Transformer modeling.
  • Updated various default values for most amp models for Power Tube Grid Bias (or Cathode Resistance, as applicable), Supply Sag, and Cathode Follower.
  • Fixed wrong Miller capacitance value in Deluxe Verb Vibrato, Double Verb Vibrato, Super Verb Vibrato and all Vibrato Verb models.
  • Fixed wrong FX loop recovery gain in Suhr Badger models.
NOTE: This is an update to the core amp algorithms and may change the sound of your presets. Use Fractal-Bot to make a backup first in case you ever revert to an older firmware.
  • Additional Amp Block Updates
  • Updated all JS410 Lead models based on a current production JVM410HJS. The Crunch models were tested and did not require updating.
  • Added “NFB Compensation” switch. This defaults to “On”. Turning it off disables the negative feedback volume compensation at the output of the Amp block.
  • Added Global MV control to JS410 amp models. Master Volume has been renamed Channel MV. These two master volume controls can be used to balance the tone into the power amp (as in the real amp). The Channel MV decreases the high frequencies as it is turned down whereas the Global MV is transparent.
  • Improved triode algorithm.
NEW AMP MODELS:
  • Class-A 30W Brilliant
  • JS410 Lead Green
  • Brit Silver
  • Fryette D60 models
  • Citrus RV50
  • CA3+ Rhythm/Lead models
  • Friedman BE/HBE models
  • Recto1 and Recto2 models
  • Brit 800 2203
  • Brit 800 2204 Low
  • 5153 100W Stealth
  • USA JP IIC+
  • USA MKV Green
  • USA MK V Red

New Drive Pedal Models​

• "Nobelium OVD-1” Drive model based on a Nobels™ ODR-1. The BC (Bass Cut) switch is modeled via the Bass Response control. Set the Bass Response to 1.0 to duplicate the response of the pedal with the Bass Cut switch engaged. Set Bass Response to 5.0 to duplicate response with BC switch disengaged.
  • Sunrise Splendor model based on a JHS™ Morning Glory. Existing model renamed “Sunrise Splendor Hi-Cut” to denote that the Hi-Cut switch is engaged.
  • Gauss Drive model based on a Mesa™ Flux Drive.

IMPROVED TREMOLO BLOCK​

• The optical tremolo algorithm has been completely rewritten.
  • There are now three types of optical tremolo: Optical Trem 1: This type is based on optical pedal tremolos where depth controls the intensity of the LED. Optical Trem 2: This type is based on optical pedal tremolos where depth controls a “mixer” pot. This type has more “throb” than Optical Trem 1. Neon Trem: This type is based on the optical tremolo in classic “Blackface” amps which used a neon bulb to illuminate the LDR.
  • The Tremolo type has been renamed “VCA Trem” and is based on a voltage-controlled amplifier topology.
  • An LFO waveform monitor has been added for appropriate types.

OTHER NEW FEATURES AND IMPROVEMENTS​

• Improved Stack/Hold in the Delay block:
  • Improved transition between Stack/Hold states.
  • In “Hold” mode, repeats are now infinite (or nearly, may degrade over many minutes/hours).
  • Note that if the Compander is enabled and/or Bit Reduction is in use the echoes will degrade. If you want infinite repeats, set “Compander” OFF and “Bit Reduction” to zero.
  • Note that the Mono Tape algorithm is inherently lossy (like a real tape) and echoes can still degrade over time.
  • Added “Stack Feedback” and “Hold Feedback” parameters. This allows adjusting the decay time independently for the stack and hold modes.
  • Updated Controller LFOs. The “Astable Beta” parameter for the LFOs has been renamed “Shape” and now controls the shape of the LFO for all types except Square and Random.
  • Improved Tape Chorus algorithm. The Number Voices parameter has also been removed from the GUI as it is not applicable to this type.
  • Improved Tape Delay algorithm. The LFO1 Target and LFO2 Target parameters have also been removed from the Modulation tab as they are not applicable.
  • Changed Tuner mute logic so that only selected source is muted when Mute is set to INPUT.
  • Improved Intelligent and Noise Reducer gate types in Input block. This eliminates the slight squeaking sound as the gate releases when using aggressive settings.
  • New Startup Preset global parameter sets the preset when the FM3 is powered on.
  • Added "2x12 USA C90 Open Back" speaker impedance curve.
  • Added Modifier capability to High Cut parameter in Delay block.

FIXES​

• Fixed random freezing during the Upgrade Presets process.
  • Fixed occasional squeal during preset changes when metronome volume is maximum.
  • Fixed dropped audio could occur in Euro Uber model at certain combinations of Presence and Speaker Impedance.
  • Fixed right channel volume reduced in Cabinet block when Preamp is active.
  • Fixed attack behavior of Dynamicomp model to strong input signals. Default attack time also adjusted to match reference pedal.
  • Fixed Scene MIDI GUI not updating correctly when changing scenes via front panel.
  • Fixed Output 1 Configuration being overwritten by Output 2configuration.
  • Fixed excessive delay from Pitch block at first use if the Shift and Detune amounts are both 0.0.
  • Fixed crash in Synth effect under certain circumstances.
  • Fixed Upgrade Presets not upgrading certain presets.
  • Fixed incorrect setting in Dimension 1 Chorus type.
  • Fixed preamp Vcc loss of precision.
  • Fixed delay lines not being cleared correctly in certain circumstances in Multitap Delay block.
THANK YOU for the amazing update!!
(PLEASE, do not mistake my following question for ingratitude… Y’all are amazing!)

Can you possibly tell us whether we will see the new Gold Plate & Spring Reverbs on the FM3??

I had this issue and mucked around with the Output settings. It wasn't a problem with the last firmware, but when I changed SETTINGS > AUDIO > OUTPUT CONFIG > OUTPUT 2 > OUTPUT 2 COPY > from 'Output 1' -> 'None' then the feedback loop went away.

It makes sense that it would create a feedback loop like this, but in the previous version, I never had a problem.

Hope that helps.
I think that's a bug, that setting shouldn't create any feedback loop cuz it should copy the output only when there's no Out 2 block on the grid.

What I figured. I’m ok with this. Maybe we’ll get the kill dry though. Super impressed that the cpu hit is negligible and some claim an improvement. I’ll get to see for myself later today. Are you guys finding it easy to dial your presets back in?
On my side, this firmware made so much improvements on the feel and tones that I decide to rebuilt every amp block from scratch.

I used to tweak a lot advanced parameters just to get closer to the feel of a tube amp that was really the last thing that I was not happy with.
With this firmware, hard reset an amp, adjust a little tue authentic control and boom that’s it.

So rebuild everything from scratch is the best option for a clean start for me.

And I just can’t stop playing that 2023 high 😅

The FX3 and FM9 automatically upgrade the Amp block, we just have to save the preset. The FM3 does not automatically upgrade it, we have to do a soft or hard reset to acquire the new parameters then save the preset. A soft-reset will retain your tone-settings.

The Wiki page goes into the details.
Do you think it will automatically upgrade in the full release?

Thanks FAS for the great work done, at the moment I can say that on the presets made by me the CPU has dropped by 2-3%, I'm trying the 5153 Stealths they are phenomenal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom