Fender FR-12 preamp mod : The Hissterectomy

@WKSmith
I’m still a little confused by the XO for the Fender.
In the initial threads I measured both speaker at the cone and tweeter at the cone through an RME Fireface UFX and an AKG451 mic. Any thoughts? Here’s the pics from the other thread:
1710959766614.jpeg
1710959785348.jpeg

@200man
I modeled the whole crossover in spice and confirmed the measurements with a u-mik1 and REW. I will try and find the posts.

I changed the values for the the LF low pass side and it got rid of this crossover freq notch you see circled here:

Screen Shot 2023-10-17 at 12.50.22 PM.jpeg

Here is the stock crossover modeled in spice

Screen Shot 2023-10-23 at 9.42.34 AM.png

And here it is fixed:

Image 10-23-23 at 10.28 AM.jpeg

The yellow trace is the new tuning vs. the stock crossover notch in blue
Screen Shot 2023-10-28 at 9.49.09 PM.jpeg

@WKSmith it might be worth adding the order/waitlist info to the first post so it's easy for people to find, even if it's just a link to the most recent post about it. Way easier than digging through 60 pages trying to find it. I'm considering ordering one for the FR12 I bought for my brother.

Cheers.
I added a bit to the First post.
bookmarks added too!!

Last edited:
I just saw an announcement of the Line 6 Catalyst CX combo amplifiers (an updated version software). Has anybody tried those? How compare with Fender FRs (besides the effects and amp simulation)? I believe are coaxial and have a effects loop and a lot of interesting functions.

tl;dr, it will sound very good, but the Catalyst speaker is not quite FRFR, so it's a bit of an apples to oranges comparison. I came very close to buying a Catalyst 100 to fill the same role my FR-12 currently does.

Line 6's does know how to build cabs thou. The Powercab line are great FRFRs - i sold my PC 112 only to buy a FR-12. They sound amazing, but are quite heavier, and slightly bigger, than Fender's FR's.

Back
Top Bottom