Disaster at a gig last night

It sounds like something reset your system parameters. Restoring a System backup from Fractal-Bot should correct the problem.
There are other possibilities, but I was told by one of our engineers that shutting down the FM3 while it is writing system settings might cause this. As a best practice, I would recommend exiting the Setup menu and waiting a few seconds before powering off the FM3.
Yes restoring from a backup from fractalbot fixed it but my default layout on startup (7) starts up with layout 1 now

So it turned out I had a waiting list email for the FM3 waiting in my inbox from November… I emailed fractal to renew it and it’s on its way to me. I’ll use my FM3 as a backup.

I just had this same thing happen and I've no idea why. Sometimes when I shut my FM3 off, I lose all the system settings. To top it off, I have one with the fried USB problem and no warranty because I bought it used. I love the sound of this thing, but reliability has been a huge problem. I'm pretty close to just going back to regular amps, 'cause at least they don't randomly forget things.

Hi all

So last night when I went to use my FM3 at a gig, I noticed it defaulted to preset #1, the tuner wasn’t muted anymore, all my songs and set lists were blank, the default startup layout was reset to #1 and all my foot-switches were blank and non functioning. My presets and user cabs were intact though so I was able to assign the foot switches on the fly and I was able to do the gig but I was definitely in panic mode.

Any idea of what may have caused this? The only thing I can think of is that the unit was on when we were setting up and maybe a cable was laying across the unit and it pressed something?

I was able to restore from my latest backup but now I’m scared this is going to happen again.
This happened to me at a gig last Saturday. Switched off/on and all was well again. Gives you a bit of a fright for sure, especially since I had not brought any back up with me. No idea as to the reason it happened. Won't be travelling without back up again, and, should the issue reoccur, the FM-9 will be winging its way back to G.66 (Fractal UK) even if the simple off/on solution works again. £2000 is too much to pay for these kind of shivers 20 minutes before showtime....!

Always worth carrying a spare - just a simple and inexpensive modeller (line 6 Pod Go, Ampero Stomp) for moments like these. Will get you through a gig. I carry a spare guitar and a backup rig

I used to have this issue with my AX8. Fractal said to wait something like 30 seconds after making ANY changes before shutting the unit off. Once I started doing that I never had a problem again. Perhaps this is true of the FM3 also?

That sucks. I have not had a problem with mine but this is why I also have a Boss GX-100. If I have to travel any substantial distance to a gig they both come with me.

Sorry to hear that.
I wish fractal could implement a simple backup with the usb port. It will relieve a lot of stress.
A simple USB firmware driver for the chips to access the USB port and backup and restore routine with supprt for gracefully handling backups and retores done on different firmware versions and changing system settings formats

Hi guys this happened to me last night at a sold out show in a theatre.

Booted it up and every single switch has the three dashes even the factory presets.

The main preset with all the scenes is there in the main window on my FM-9 but the switches do absolutely nothing when pressed.

Had to steal a Helix off the bass player and knock some sounds up but very unhappy with the money spent and this type of thing happening.

I got into setup controller menu and could get each switch to kinda come back on but not to where I wanted it, it seems like it's accessing the scenes from the initial preset #1 even though it's on my preset which is up near #300 as all I could get was options Rhythm and Bassman59 which are not in my scenes if this makes sense?

I know I could scroll through the manuals etc but I'm on tour and with limited time once we set up to doors for a show, has anyone experienced this and know if it's just something daft that I'm totally missing please?

I spent a bit of time making all my presents and scenes a while ago in my home studio and that is where the back up is on my PC, so it was a while back as I expected to programme it all, and then lesve it for years, never though I'd need all thid nonsense.

Cheers in advance

Booted it up and every single switch has the three dashes even the factory presets.

The main preset with all the scenes is there in the main window on my FM-9 but the switches do absolutely nothing when pressed.

Had to steal a Helix off the bass player and knock some sounds up but very unhappy with the money spent and this type of thing happening.

I got into setup controller menu and could get each switch to kinda come back on but not to where I wanted it, it seems like it's accessing the scenes from the initial preset #1 even though it's on my preset which is up near #300 as all I could get was options Rhythm and Bassman59 which are not in my scenes if this makes sense?

I know I could scroll through the manuals etc but I'm on tour and with limited time once we set up to doors for a show, has anyone experienced this and know if it's just something daft that I'm totally missing please?

I spent a bit of time making all my presents and scenes a while ago in my home studio and that is where the back up is on my PC, so it was a while back as I expected to programme it all, and then lesve it for years, never though I'd need all thid nonsense.

Cheers in advance
this has never happened to me since day 1 of the FM3 being released, using it 3 - 5 times every week since 2019. and i don't think it's common so it's hard to track down the cause.

did you ever turn it off and on again? have you turned it on since then?

i would contact support. they might want a full backup from you so they can see exactly what's on your FM3.

Hi mate yeah did that and connected a laptop up with FM9 edit and nothing.

I get home tomorrow and have two days before I head to Holland with it so this is really bad timing. Gutted

Cheers in advance
Startup layout?

It's all backed up on my studio PC at home as I never really expected this to happen in the first year (happened twice) first was a ribbon had come loose.

Managed to fix it after watching a million YouTube videos, as I'm on the road with very little room and time to get it all open to fiddle with

Went to Utilities/reset/,reset controller settings or something like that and got it all back than k god, but this shouldnt really happen for the money it costs.

When you transported your FM3 to the gig, was it near any speakers or magnets ? One time I put my looper pedal in the back of an open back combo next to the speaker magnet and it wiped out half of all the loops stored in it.
Not sure the Fractal stuff is affected by magnets, but one time, about 30 years ago, I rolled my Twin Reverb with EVM12Ls past the TV and turned the screen green for like a month.... The OL was not pleased....

I just had this same thing happen and I've no idea why. Sometimes when I shut my FM3 off, I lose all the system settings. To top it off, I have one with the fried USB problem and no warranty because I bought it used. I love the sound of this thing, but reliability has been a huge problem. I'm pretty close to just going back to regular amps, 'cause at least they don't randomly forget things.

You might consider asking Fractal if they can fix it. My first FX3 was zapped when Zeus or Thor or Raijin was pissed at our neighbor several years ago, and the USB took the brunt of it. IIRC, the repair was fairly inexpensive....

Back
Top Bottom