FM3 Firmware Version 7.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stopped reading it :p
I figured this had to be the case along with the other thread about FM3 F/W. At one point I was going to remark at how patient the admins have to be when reading some of the comments.
As I understand it, you can in fact use a 3 lb. sack to hold 5 lbs. of potatoes, but doing so is a bit like playing Jenga in reverse, with some of the potatoes mashed or cut into different sized pieces and... OK, this metaphor is ridiculous.
For a programming deficient person like myself it makes a good deal of sense.😉

Oh and thanks for the heads up!

Not really for me, because I stopped reading it :p

In all seriousness... We're working away on the next FM3 firmware. Recent Axe-Fx updates are quite "heavy" in terms of DSP and other resources, but our FM3 engineers are doing what engineers do. It takes time, and quality must take precedence over speedy delivery.

As I understand it, you can in fact use a 3 lb. sack to hold 5 lbs. of potatoes, but doing so is a bit like playing Jenga in reverse, with some of the potatoes mashed or cut into different sized pieces and... OK, this metaphor is ridiculous.
So what you're saying is... we can use a 3 lb. sack to carry the FM3?

¯\(ツ)

sells custom hardcase

Switching is really slow and messes up my timing.
I still use pedals with a mechanical loop switch and its gapless.
I have other ancient modellers (like Boss GT3) and switching between presets is quicker.
Also, FM3 randomly freezes so your performance is screwed.
The pros have multiple units of these so switching is not a problem.
You can program FM3 in midi for switching but I don't want to bring a computer to gig and it is not rock n roll.
Depositing gripes and probable user error on the FW thread? Totally rock n roll!

It sounds like you might want to consider the FM9, AxeIII, or an entirely different modeler. Even though a different unit might be heavier, bulkier or a bit less convenient for your needs, I suspect it'd still be lighter than carrying around an FM3 and the weight of your opinions.

Depositing gripes and probable user error on the FW thread? Totally rock n roll!

It sounds like you might want to consider the FM9, AxeIII, or an entirely different modeler. Even though a different unit might be heavier, bulkier or a bit less convenient for your needs, I suspect it'd still be lighter than carrying around an FM3 and the weight of your opinions.
BUUUURN

Still can't use FM3 live. Switching is really slow and messes up my timing. Yes, I have done all the tricks, using scene controllers, using more than one block of the same effect etc. I still use pedals with a mechanical loop switch and its gapless.I have other ancient modellers (like Boss GT3) and switching between presets is quicker. Also, FM3 randomly freezes so your performance is screwed. The pros have multiple units of these so switching is not a problem. You can program FM3 in midi for switching but I don't want to bring a computer to gig and it is not rock n roll.
The gap is present only if you change amps / drives etc..
Live I use 1 amp and stack drives (plus controllers ) and it's gapless at all.
And we should always consider that analog pedals are gapless but amp channels... Nope!

I've gigged the FM3 in 4CM with an EVH 5150III since it was released. FM3 works great with this amp.

Midi is really easy to program and it's just as fast as the foot controller and TS cable that came with the amp. IME, the main culprit of "gap" is caused by using presets that have way too much going on, instead make simple presets and make lots of them, because we have hundreds of slots, why not utilize them.

It's also just like any other "pedal" you have to practice performing with it. make adjustments in practice, and work out kinks. If you want flagship, you gotta go flagship. The FM3 is not Flagship.

Reactions: JTI
News flash!!...everyone will survive until the next very gratuitous update gets released by the awesome folks at Fractal. I absolutely prefer being patient for the time they deserve to provide us with another FREE update of quality. I tip my hat to all of the engineers, Cliff, and everyone who works their butts off to give us the the top quality product continuously. Cheers and enjoy your weekend

You can’t tell he’s wrong on some things though..

I use only two amps in my kitchen sink preset and even with just one channel drive change and some modifiers on the same amp channel there is a gap, a gap that is random, sometimes it’s short, sometimes it takes longer. Don’t know why.
Had the unit froze once because it couldn’t handled too much modifiers and a midi switching (even if the cpu was at 75%).

So gapeless would be great, I don’t expect to have zero latency but a little less gap woulb be fine.

The fm3 is an awesome unit but some things are perfectible. One is the gap.

I use only two amps in my kitchen sink preset
Switching channels on certain blocks can cause gaps on the FM3. Switching channels on the amp or cab block will always cause one as far as I'm aware. That's why people prefer to use modifiers and scene controllers as workarounds. Worth noting that many real amps have gaps when switching channels, which I find interesting in the context of these discussions.

So gapeless would be great, I don’t expect to have zero latency but a little less gap woulb be fine.
I absolutely agree.

You can’t tell he’s wrong on some things though..
I never called anyone wrong.

In all seriousness... We're working away on the next FM3 firmware. Recent Axe-Fx updates are quite "heavy" in terms of DSP and other resources, but our FM3 engineers are doing what engineers do. It takes time, and quality must take precedence over speedy delivery.

i feel those engineers
download.jpg

It worries me that those of us with the Mark I FM3, may be left behind sometime from now :(

It worries me that those of us with the Mark I FM3, may be left behind sometime from now :(
People have been posting stuff like this here forever...

Fractal has an outstanding reputation for supporting and housing their products for a long time.

Your FM3 is already great. It won't ever get worse, though at some point it will not be able to get improvements - just like ALL the Fractal products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom