What’s your Main Gee-tar!!! And why….

I'm in the category of the one guitar rotation that sits out on a stand. The rest stay in their case until I need to get it out for a specific sound.

Lately that one guitar is an EBMM Cutlass. But there's a problem with that guitar in that I never get past the Bassman 59 patch on the AXE cause they sound so damn good together.

I ve been using two PRS Hollowbody Spruce guitars, which are wonderful instruments. I’m doing something more classic rock, country, Tom Petty-ish stuff in my current gig and wanted something a little brighter in tone, but not quite single coil.

I tried my white NF3 in this role, and it fit like a glove! The “narrowfield” 57/08 humbuckers are really their own world; gutsy as a humbucker, but has the bell-like ring of a single in it. Playability is top notch, and it’s still an 8 pound guitar… so not as hefty as some LP thickness guitars. I liked it so much, I added the natural Korina one you see with it.

I‘m using a fairly well modified version of the 59 Bassguy preset on my FM9T along with an FC6. The 6 is normally set to Scenes, while the 9 is on Effects. It’s working well at the moment.

View attachment 133695
Have you been able to compare the Narrowfield 57/08's to the traditional humbucker versions? Curious how close they are.

I have better guitars, but the one that's followed me to nearly every gig is a Japanese built neck through Robin Medley. I picked it up dirt cheap from eBay a long time ago, and it arrived completely unplayable. A very kind tech spent about three days bringing it back to life....and charged me all of $60 for the very difficult job. Ever since, it has just delivered. Even though it's Les Paul heavy, I love it.
I had a late 80s Robin Ranger that is definitely on the list of wish-I-hadn’t-sold-it guitars. Excellent guitars!

Have you been able to compare the Narrowfield 57/08's to the traditional humbucker versions? Curious how close they are.
I have not, as none of my other PRSs have the 57/08 in them. The performance of these has sure made me want to test it. I’ve been told by some reliable players that a 59/09 in the bridge and a 57/08 in the neck is hard to beat.

The narrowfields, to me, have the best of humbuckers, single coil, and P90s. It’s a great crossover point of the “pickup Venn diagram.” Lol

I have guitars with the full humbucker 57/08s and those with the Narrowfields. They really don't sound alike. The full humbucker 57/08s sound like many other PAF-style humbuckers. I'm a fan of them, as they're semi-hot and have lots of character. The Narrowfields have more low end output and more high end, yet when you roll down the volume on the guitar they're in the low end goes away and you get sorta P90/single coil sounds. Best of all worlds as Rick said above, but they don't quite get you to the PAF sound.

I'm in the category of the one guitar rotation that sits out on a stand. The rest stay in their case until I need to get it out for a specific sound.

Lately that one guitar is an EBMM Cutlass. But there's a problem with that guitar in that I never get past the Bassman 59 patch on the AXE cause they sound so damn good together.
I do the same thing. I'm playing my lemon EBMM Cutlass BFR with axis bridge pickup, ebony fretboard and floyd rose. I usually have a plexish preset dialed up no matter what guitar I use. I literally played it till my ring finger started bleeding last week. LOL

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_4316.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_4316.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 19
Back
Top Bottom