Anyone try using UA Ox Stomp for their cabs?

I understand what you're saying. And I'm glad you found something that works for you. That's the important part. I don't think very many pieces of gear are inherently special: there's technically better and technically worse, and there's more inspiring and less inspiring....and you being happy with it is the most important factor of all.

But...if you want to, search the factory cabs for the word "room". There isn't a room mic capture for everything, but there are for some. It was a big deal for me. It's the closest thing to reverb that I don't hate (not to dismiss Cliff's reverbs...I hate all reverb effects including Fender and aftermarket real springs, legit 4' tall physical plates, Lexicon, Bricasti, FabFilter, Valhalla, etc.), and it is a key to the puzzle as far as I'm concerned.
Yep, I was aware of that, but as you said, the captures are fairly limited. All the cab flavours I like myself are pretty much covered in the pedal and you can add the room mics to all.

Seriously.....reading your post about reverb not hitting the spot for you - go try/borrow an Ox Stomp and try what I am talking about. I suspect it might be perfect for you as the blending is so easy and powerful. You can dial in just the right amount of "added ambience" to the overall sound to your taste.

...then you can still add reverb if you want! And delay (which also sounds v good btw).

Yep, I was aware of that, but as you said, the captures are fairly limited. All the cab flavours I like myself are pretty much covered in the pedal and you can add the room mics to all.

Seriously.....reading your post about reverb not hitting the spot for you - go try/borrow an Ox Stomp and try what I am talking about. I suspect it might be perfect for you as the blending is so easy and powerful. You can dial in just the right amount of "added ambience" to the overall sound to your taste.

...then you can still add reverb if you want! And delay (which also sounds v good btw).
I am mainly a bedroom player. So I would like to know if the OX Stomp also does its magic at rather low volumes?

I am mainly a bedroom player. So I would like to know if the OX Stomp also does its magic at rather low volumes?

Well, I caveat my answer with the fact that "louder is always better"! :p

...but yes, through my Atomic CLRs it sounds fantastic at low volumes. Again though, I think that is due to a combination of the excellent amp modelling in the Axe and the cab/mic stuff in the Ox.

I use "resistive load" impedance curve in the amp block and turn cab modelling off. Use your ears, but I've turned all the settings like speaker compliance" etc off too. (all the options in this section - FRFR/SS+cab etc etc are a bit confusing as to what should be selected for what set up you have, and so I just abandoned trying to go with what was "correct" and went with what sounded best to me)

Do bear in mind though, and with reference to your question about volume, different settings can and do sound bettter or worse at different volumes.

Last edited:

...but yes, through my Atomic CLRs it sounds fantastic at low volumes. Again though, I think that is due to a combination of the excellent amp modelling in the Axe and the cab/mic stuff in the Ox.

I use "restistive load" impedance curve in the amp block and turn cab modelling off. Use your ears, but I've turned all the settings like speaker compliance" etc off too. (all the options in this section - FRFR/SS+cab etc etc are a bit confusing as to what should be selected for what set up you have, and so I just abandoned trying to go with what was "correct" and went with what sounded best to me)

Do bear in mind though, and with reference to your question about volume, different settings can and do sound bettter or worse at different volumes.
It's a shame that this thing has no MIDI, but if you can find one single setting that sounds amazing with all your high gain amps then maybe it would be useable for me because I don't want to mess around for 50 songs every time with the cab settings. Have you tried or do you think it would also be possible to still use the cabs of the modeler and only use the room mic of the OX Stomp? There are many positive reviews, but this guy says the difference is not so dramtatic between the OX Stomp and a good IR. He only hears a better stereo effect...

It's a shame that this thing has no MIDI, but if you can find one single setting that sounds amazing with all your high gain amps then maybe it would be useable for me because I don't want to mess around for 50 songs every time with the cab settings. Have you tried or do you think it would also be possible to still use the cabs of the modeler and only use the room mic of the OX Stomp? There are many positive reviews, but this guy says the difference is not so dramtatic between the OX Stomp and a good IR. He only hears a better stereo effect...

....no, I have't, but to be honest, I dont think that would be possible...you would effectively be asking the Ox room mics to provide a reproduction of a cab provided from a different simulating unit in the chain. I may be wrong, but in any case, why would you? Because.....

There are many positive reviews, but this guy says the difference is not so dramtatic between the OX Stomp and a good IR

If you find a good IR, then likely you have already found a satisfactory sound for you!

My personal position, and what I was simply trying to say originally, was that, in my case, I struggled with getting that final piece in the sound - the cab IR - to my liking. Ox has simply made that process much, much easier for me across the board with all amps in the Axe. And has, for me, given me a much more pleasing sonic result that has taken my already great love of the Axe to a new level.

(BTW, you mention "high gain amps". I should say that I don't predominantly reside in that genre, and so what works for me might not work for you. But I'm having great fun revisiting all the amps again, and my preferred vintage style Fenders, Marshalls, Voxs etc are complete now to my ears)

....no, I have't, but to be honest, I dont think that would be possible...you would effectively be asking the Ox room mics to provide a reproduction of a cab provided from a different simulating unit in the chain. I may be wrong, but in any case, why would you? Because.....

If you find a good IR, then likely you have already found a satisfactory sound for you!

My personal position, and what I was simply trying to say originally, was that, in my case, I struggled with getting that final piece in the sound - the cab IR - to my liking. Ox has simply made that process much, much easier for me across the board with all amps in the Axe. And has, for me, given me a much more pleasing sonic result that has taken my already great love of the Axe to a new level.

(BTW, you mention "high gain amps". I should say that I don't predominantly reside in that genre, and so what works for me might not work for you. But I'm having great fun revisiting all the amps again, and my preferred vintage style Fenders, Marshalls, Voxs etc are complete now to my ears)
OK, thank you. The more I here about the more I am temped to pull the trigger ;) GAS strikes again.

Sorry if you mentioned this already, for your connection path, are you using the OX in the loop or using it after the output? Cheers. I hate these pedals that don't have trs or xlr. Just my own grievance as a recording solution everything should be trs/xlr these days.

Sorry if you mentioned this already, for your connection path, are you using the OX in the loop or using it after the output? Cheers. I hate these pedals that don't have trs or xlr. Just my own grievance as a recording solution everything should be trs/xlr these days.

Guitar > Axe Input block > Amp Block > Axe Stereo Output Block >Ox stereo Line ins > Stereo Line Outs to Atomic CLRS

No cab block in Axe Grid
Cab modelling turned off
Resistive Load SIC
All speaker parameters (compliance, thump etc) turned off on speaker page in amp block
Delay/Reverb/ Compression/ EQ all "post" from Ox Stomp
"Pre" effects either via my pedal board or added to Axe grid before amp block.

Today I also tried a W/D/W rig using a real amp via the Fryette powerstation into a a real cab for the dry portion, and then line out from powerstation via the Ox Stomp and sent simulated cab wet signals to the CLRs - was a whole different flavour of glorious.

I agree with your point about standardisation of XLR though, although tbh not an issue in my home studio.

Last edited:
So, I've tried the OX Stomp couple of days - mainly clean and also some soft to breakup dist with Fender Strat Pro II
analog pedal Kernom Ridge pre lined in FM3.

My short 'average Joe ' review at OX -
just with plain mics without made up reverb/room layers vs FM3 IR stock ( high gain excluded not yet tested)
Keeping it simple lined IN1 - Amp Atomica Low - CAB stock Fact1 1006 2x12 dbl Verb 421 - mono Out2 - OX same MICS / Cab type -
mono IN2 - Out 1 ( DAW adds some MAAG EQ4 and sSoundgoodizer in FL Studio but not touched )
(The IN2 block in serie OFF / ON lets the signal through dry and fast enable ON IR in CAB block to compare).

It's pretty much 'same same ' good IR;s feeling and a tied match.

FRACTAL has vs other modellers at CAB block a superb range parameters in ROOM sim and also a Preamp possibility -
together with AMP block Speaker settings possibility simulate pretty much the OX Room knob and Reverb
Also has Fractal a Joker added in ENHANCE block ex in the end with Width Depth tweaked and set CAB in Stereo Input
to get a soundeffect tweak
I've never used the FM3 Room before , but to get a fair comparsion with OX often hailed ROOm knob used it now ( its not made in gold btw ).

The OX stomp has presets full of reverb room Compressor et c at reviews makes sometimes apple vs pears comparsion i.m.o.
Yes the OX sounds good - IR-ish in bottom but nothing WOW extra Dynamic for me.

If my brain and ears like the sound, I like it... Ive made this Andy presets in video for a reference : )
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/andy-timmons-ish-presets-2-2-different.195361/

Its good and bad in both, different source
I think some FM3 stock IR sound 'blanket dull over speaker , some rattle snake thin and some good '
Exactly Same with OX, never get the extra feeling , not to say their freq dynamics are different measured.

So my 2 cent verdict is that its a good but expensive IR pedal for them who has that purpose.
But it didnt come with any snake oil added to my home and considering a return.

But we all have different taste and ears so....

Have nice guitar weekend !

UPDATE:
After also more Gain test in OX I'll return it this week.

Combo reasons mentioned below and not giving THAT extra value despite ex Comp 1176 ( I've already has
as UA plugin btw to add in DAW ).

Some cons in the OX ( except no headphone out and no MIDI )

* The software doesnt exist to PC - with the Bluetooth connected APP in my Iphone you'll drag sliders without visible values
at a small screen - easy missing wanted positions and you dont have a good overview overall - scrolling up down all settings...
I think this is the biggest mistake - not having good software to PC , using the USB C

* If you dont set the screen ON the iphone all time ( vs locked efter 5 min ) The BLUETOOTH disconnects
the setting / OX and you must reconnect.

* The mic position is locked as in IR:s to the CABS - choose a sweetspotted mic ' thats it' - and adjust only off/ON axis & Cutoff
But you have individual EQ sliders to each Mic

Last edited:
The Edge is using UA pedals instead his real amps...and he keeps the fractal units on his rig only for time effects

FRACTAL has vs other modellers at CAB block a superb range parameters in ROOM sim and also a Preamp possibility -
together with AMP block Speaker settings possibility simulate pretty much the OX Room knob and Reverb
Also has Fractal a Joker added in ENHANCE block ex in the end with Width Depth tweaked and set CAB in Stereo Input
to get a soundeffect tweak
I've never used the FM3 Room , but to get a fair comparsion with OX often hailed ROOm knob ( its not made in gold btw ).

Lately what I've been doing is adding the "Enhancer" block at the end of the chain with the width turned up to about 70% and depth down to about 20%. This really helps to add a little dimension to the sound, especially after a good room reverb block.

I use "resistive load" impedance curve in the amp block and turn cab modelling off. Use your ears, but I've turned all the settings like speaker compliance" etc off too. (all the options in this section - FRFR/SS+cab etc etc are a bit confusing as to what should be selected for what set up you have, and so I just abandoned trying to go with what was "correct" and went with what sounded best to me)

In the meantime I have purchased the OX Stomp. And I have to admit that I am using in the moment the Quad Cortex more than the Axe FX3, but maybe the following question might be allowed anyway because the conceptual idea could also be applied to the Axe FX3. So here we go: I wonder if it would be a possible approach to work with the OX Stomp in the following "unofficial" way: I have the Quad Cortex and the OX Stomp in my signal chain behind it. I have a lot of presets on the QC which work pretty well for me. (I am a bedroom player.) So the "official way" to use the OX Stomp is obviously to deactivate the Cab Emulation on the QC when you use the OX Stomp. But all I want is to have a little bit more of an "Amp in the Room Sound". Basically my QC presets work pretty well for me. So what if I would not deactivate the Cab Emulation on the QC and use only the Room Mic of the OX Stomp. This would mean that I would not use the two other speaker mics (Mic1/Mic2). I would just use the Room Mic. I know that this way I don't realize the full potential of the OX Stomp and maybe there are scenarios where I deactivate my Cab Sim on the QC and use everything which the OX Stomp offers, but I wonder if this could be a quick and dirty solution to get some more Amp in the Room Sound or is my idea just nonsense?

FWIW here are some measurements on the Ox-Box. I captured two IRs: one at a low stimulus level (probably around 1W) and the other as high as I dared turn my power amp up (at least 100W). I used a Matrix GT 800FX as the power amp. IOW I used a clean, linear power amp to test whether the IRs are "dynamic". If the IRs are dynamic then the frequency response would be different depending upon the stimulus level (spoiler, they're not).

ox_box_low_high.PNG

The green trace is low, the blue trace is high.

I have both, the Fractal gear and the Ox Box. Love both, use both… the way they’re designed to be used. Any FAS gear doesn’t need, nor does it benefit from, outside help in the form of cab simulation. On the other hand, the Ox Box does a spectacular job of taking a blazing hot amplifier output and making it usable at lower volumes, either into cabinets or using its cab sims into a DAW or other amplifying option. I don’t find anything “magical” about either one, they’re just both/each the best options I’ve found for what they do. Great options to have available!

I understand tone chasing (no pun intended, Mr Chase!), and do it myself. Sometimes numbers don’t translate to “tone.” I get that too. But FAS hasn’t slacked at all on the cab side of the modeling, and I have lost all desire to chase that rabbit hole any further. A few “cab pack” purchases taught me that I have better avenues open to pursue sound improvements. Cliff has done his work, and saved me from doing any more of it.

Now, if your signal happens to be coming out of a 100w speaker output, the Ox Box becomes eminently more useful… don’t do that to your Axe Fx. :oops:

I have both, the Fractal gear and the Ox Box. Love both, use both… the way they’re designed to be used. Any FAS gear doesn’t need, nor does it benefit from, outside help in the form of cab simulation.:oops:
Sure the AF3 and FM9 don't benefit from the Ox, but the FM3 certainly can. The Ox Stomp provides an off-board Cab Block (saves some 4-5% +- CPU), Reverb (saves a lot!), Compressor, EQ's and it's high quality Room Sim etc.

So Cliff, with regards to interfacing the Ox Stomp with the FM3, should all Amp Block Speaker Tab params be left at default as they effect the FM3's Amp Model (Speaker Compliance, Time Constant, Thump, Speaker Breakup, Speaker Compression and Speaker Drive etc), or...???

The Qx Stomp has it's own Speaker Drive control, so likely not good to have the FM3's Speaker Drive and the Ox's on together I would think?

TIA for any advice as I'm going to use the Ox Stomp with my FM3 primarily to save CPU, though the Ox Stomp while limited in scope and sporting a lousy editor, it does sound quite good with the FM3 while saving precious CPU.

Last edited:
Sure the AF3 and FM9 don't benefit from the Ox, but the FM3 certainly can. The Ox Stomp provides an off-board Cab Block (saves some 4-5% +- CPU), Reverb (saves a lot!), Compressor, EQ's and it's high quality Room Sim etc.

So Cliff, with regards to interfacing the Ox Stomp with the FM3, should all Amp Block Speaker Tab params be left at default as they effect the FM3's Amp Model (Speaker Compliance, Time Constant, Thump, Speaker Breakup, Speaker Compression and Speaker Drive etc), or...???

The Qx Stomp has it's own Speaker Drive control, so likely not good to have the FM3's Speaker Drive and the Ox's on together I would think?

TIA for any advice as I'm going to use the Ox Stomp with my FM3 primarily to save CPU, though the Ox Stomp while limited in scope and sporting a lousy editor, it does sound quite good with the FM3 while saving precious CPU.
In my mind, being as the current cost of an FM9T is $1599 and an FM3 plus an Ox Box is well over $2,000… just didn’t occur to me as a possible “advantageous use” scenario to consider. But if you already had both from other ventures, I can see where using them together might be a thing. Touché!

FWIW here are some measurements on the Ox-Box. I captured two IRs: one at a low stimulus level (probably around 1W) and the other as high as I dared turn my power amp up (at least 100W). I used a Matrix GT 800FX as the power amp. IOW I used a clean, linear power amp to test whether the IRs are "dynamic". If the IRs are dynamic then the frequency response would be different depending upon the stimulus level (spoiler, they're not).

View attachment 131209

The green trace is low, the blue trace is high.
What would the Axe-Fx look like in the similar situation, e.g using one of its cleanest, high headroom amp models which should then in the amp block model various speaker effects as the amp is cranked?

What would the Axe-Fx look like in the similar situation, e.g using one of its cleanest, high headroom amp models which should then in the amp block model various speaker effects as the amp is cranked?
The response would vary depending upon volume. I'm not about to spoon-feed my secrets but anyone with a little tech savvy can probably figure it out.

In my mind, being as the current cost of an FM9T is $1599 and an FM3 plus an Ox Box is well over $2,000… just didn’t occur to me as a possible “advantageous use” scenario to consider. But if you already had both from other ventures, I can see where using them together might be a thing. Touché!
You're right, though I have the new Ox Stomp (not the Ox Load Box), which I believe the MSRP is $399, and it and the FM3 both fit nicely on a pedalboard that's much smaller than a FM9, so for me it's about the size (see below). My show is automated, so the five FS's available to me are more than enough for what I do manually, which is mainly control Ableton LIVE's Looper Plugin and Session Loop, plus Auto-Wah, Boost, Virtual Capo, Big Delay, Tuner, and Scene Increment and Decrement.

The Ox Stomp features (UA Spec)...

Authentic speaker modeling including speaker breakup, drive, cone cry, room mics.

Studio-quality effects including genuine UA 1176 compression, plate reverb, EQ, and stereo delay (dual, crossover, ping-pong) for perfectly produced tones.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom