[solved] FC-6 Controllers wont boot, only shows Firmware version

Bummer.

Where are you located? Maybe someone here could help?

If not, you're probably best to return it to GC...
Portland, OR

And yeah - that's the word from Fractal - return it.

Sad to think that this might get sold to someone else broken or even trashed though, ya know?

Yeah odds are it's the III's FASlink port and not both FC-6's that are bad but you never know. There might be someone here on the forum in Portland that might be able to help you test them with their known good hardware. I'm in Texas, so I'm not much help there.

Portland, OR

Sad to think that this might get sold to someone else broken or even trashed though, ya know?
Yes, I had the same thought... It would suck for someone else to get the same damaged unit.

I'm sure there are Fractal users on the forum from Portland... But not sure they would see this thread to offer help.

Portland, OR

Yeah GC is good about no questions asked returns, but the flip side of that is that some of their used gear is trashed, and doesn't say so. That's probably because GC didn't bother to figure that out themselves.

I checked out an amp some years ago that had several broken knobs, like spun forever did nothing broken. I asked about its condition before I came in, they said great. Pffft.

I bet it went straight back on the floor as-is.

Are you sure you have all three wires connected on your XLR cable? Some people don’t wire them that way. You need all three to make FASLink work.

Are you sure you have all three wires connected on your XLR cable? Some people don’t wire them that way. You need all three to make FASLink work.
I've tried a dozen cables of varying brands - whirlwind, nuetrik, switchcraft, and some other rando's. Still no change.
With it happening on two FC's - its pretty obvious it has to be the AXE III

Yeah GC is good about no questions asked returns, but the flip side of that is that some of their used gear is trashed, and doesn't say so. That's probably because GC didn't bother to figure that out themselves.

I checked out an amp some years ago that had several broken knobs, like spun forever did nothing broken. I asked about its condition before I came in, they said great. Pffft.

I bet it went straight back on the floor as-is.

I got a nice Schecter guitar that I really liked, but as it turns out, someone FUBARed the truss rod. It went back....

As Rex has stated someone hosed it and pawned it off onto GC - pretty sure they didnt have an Axe unit to test it and took their word for it, not cool

uhhhh well... just tried that and got this

View attachment 129463

I'm getting the exact same error when trying to upgrade my FC-6 FW from 1.11 to 1.12 (orig)- AxeFX3 (orig...not Mark II). I recently upgraded the AxeFxIII FW to the 23.00 series and noticed that there was odd things happening after upgrading to FW23.00 Beta 2 Public. I tried to upgrade the FC-6 to 1.12 and through Fractal Bot and got the same error where hundreds of dialog boxes appear and you have to use the task manager or end the process.

I rebooted, left it at FC-1.11 and was able to use both the FC and FW23.00 Beta 2 Public but had some lag in the FC-6 every now and then. Today I tried to update to FW23.00 Candidate 2 (beta 7) and the FC-6 would not work at all. So I tried installing FW 1.12 (original), directly downloaded from Fractal's web page and the multi-dialog error happened again (and again x3). Unplugged all, including FC, rebooted with Fas Link plugged in and tried it without Fas Link plugged in. The FC-6 was stuck on the ver. screen showing 1.11.

I just re-installed FW 23.00 Public and things seem to be working to where I can play and use the FC unit. There's is some lag in the FC unit, like I noticed back in when FW 23.00 was available. Right now I'm just happy that I can play. I was sweating bullets for a couple of hours thinking this would be a daylong, maybe month long trouble shooting effort.

I hesitated to post because usually someone has posted the same issue and it's resolved somewhere in the forum, if you bother to find it. If that's the case here, I apologize for not being able to find it. But this post that I quoted displayed the same problem I was seeing and the correspondence is relatively new.

I can live with 23.00 Public. I don't play live (much) and as far as I can tell it's functioning at a level that I can deal with. I would like to upgrade the FC-6 unit to the latest firmware. But I'm worried about attempting it. Right now I'm going to back up all (23.00 public, presets, global etc.) and hopefully play on while keeping an eye on this thread. Note: I have NOT done a full system hard reset. I'd be willing to do the full reset after I back up if the community/fractal team thinks that it would be beneficial or it would help troubleshooting since as far as I can tell @visualsuplex and I appear to have the same error. I'm reluctant because I don't want to be without my Fractal. The wife is going out of town for a week and half. It is CRITICAL that I'm able to jam....lol.

I'm getting the exact same error when trying to upgrade my FC-6 FW from 1.11 to 1.12 (orig)- AxeFX3 (orig...not Mark II). I recently upgraded the AxeFxIII FW to the 23.00 series and noticed that there was odd things happening after upgrading to FW23.00 Beta 2 Public. I tried to upgrade the FC-6 to 1.12 and through Fractal Bot and got the same error where hundreds of dialog boxes appear and you have to use the task manager or end the process.

I rebooted, left it at FC-1.11 and was able to use both the FC and FW23.00 Beta 2 Public but had some lag in the FC-6 every now and then. Today I tried to update to FW23.00 Candidate 2 (beta 7) and the FC-6 would not work at all. So I tried installing FW 1.12 (original), directly downloaded from Fractal's web page and the multi-dialog error happened again (and again x3). Unplugged all, including FC, rebooted with Fas Link plugged in and tried it without Fas Link plugged in. The FC-6 was stuck on the ver. screen showing 1.11.

I just re-installed FW 23.00 Public and things seem to be working to where I can play and use the FC unit. There's is some lag in the FC unit, like I noticed back in when FW 23.00 was available. Right now I'm just happy that I can play. I was sweating bullets for a couple of hours thinking this would be a daylong, maybe month long trouble shooting effort.

I hesitated to post because usually someone has posted the same issue and it's resolved somewhere in the forum, if you bother to find it. If that's the case here, I apologize for not being able to find it. But this post that I quoted displayed the same problem I was seeing and the correspondence is relatively new.

I can live with 23.00 Public. I don't play live (much) and as far as I can tell it's functioning at a level that I can deal with. I would like to upgrade the FC-6 unit to the latest firmware. But I'm worried about attempting it. Right now I'm going to back up all (23.00 public, presets, global etc.) and hopefully play on while keeping an eye on this thread. Note: I have NOT done a full system hard reset. I'd be willing to do the full reset after I back up if the community/fractal team thinks that it would be beneficial or it would help troubleshooting since as far as I can tell @visualsuplex and I appear to have the same error. I'm reluctant because I don't want to be without my Fractal. The wife is going out of town for a week and half. It is CRITICAL that I'm able to jam....lol.
Hmm so I'm on 23.00 Beta 4 and never really thought about downgrading - might give that a try and see what happens.

I also just realized that the FX3 isn't saving global settings either so the battery is dead, or it was damaged by the fan as well.

Hmm so I'm on 23.00 Beta 4 and never really thought about downgrading - might give that a try and see what happens.

I also just realized that the FX3 isn't saving global settings either so the battery is dead, or it was damaged by the fan as well.
Yeah no dice for me - downgraded to FW 22 and have the same issues.

You guys got me curious as to firmware updates in other Fractal units. I no longer have an Axe FX III, so I updated my FM9T & FC6 V1 pedal setup to see if I had any issues. Updated the FM9T from 5 to 5.01, and found I had already updated to 1.12. I've zipped around on both, connected via FAS-Link with no issues. Relieved to see that.

As noted by others, I saw there are two FC6 firmware iterations, and I would think loading up the wrong one might cause issues. As the OP found, a used unit can be bliss or a blizzard of problems, depending on the previous owner. My FM9T was bought new, but the FC6 is a used purchase.

I'll be curious to see if more people chime in on having the issue, or if it's something more isolated and (possibly) unrelated to the firmware itself.

You guys got me curious as to firmware updates in other Fractal units. I no longer have an Axe FX III, so I updated my FM9T & FC6 V1 pedal setup to see if I had any issues. Updated the FM9T from 5 to 5.01, and found I had already updated to 1.12. I've zipped around on both, connected via FAS-Link with no issues. Relieved to see that.

As noted by others, I saw there are two FC6 firmware iterations, and I would think loading up the wrong one might cause issues. As the OP found, a used unit can be bliss or a blizzard of problems, depending on the previous owner. My FM9T was bought new, but the FC6 is a used purchase.

I'll be curious to see if more people chime in on having the issue, or if it's something more isolated and (possibly) unrelated to the firmware itself.
Yeah - problem is I can't flash a new FC firmware because the FX3 doesn't see any FC controllers

Back
Top Bottom