Cab-Lab 4 Version 1.00.01 Release

I'm curious why Cab Lab 4 doesn't have support for FullRes IR's. It seems like Fractal has kind of forgotten all about them. They made a big deal about them when they first came out, and then almost nothing has happened with them since. No new FullRes IR packs, no support in Cab Lab 3 or 4, nothing? What gives? Are we just not doing the FullRes thing anymore?

@Kenny Burch, to piggyback on what @Rex wrote, it's really the nature of microphones and acoustics themselves. The theories and principals are so fundamental as to undergird everything we do in audio. They are studied exhaustively in white papers by the AES and I'm sure by many other scholars in the field. I think of that as more the domain of textbooks and audio engineering training than software documentation.

To me discussing that specifically would be equivalent to a more lay version of Cliff's Tech Notes section on this forum. It's great to know, but every cabinet IR made from capturing a mic picking up the sound of a cab will follow these principles, so it's just understood.

Just bought my first Dynacab pack to try cablab 4, it works very well! I Don't know how much more resolution it has then the internal dynacabs but look at the files: 174 mb for 1 Cab! All the internal cabs are 20mb!

Instead of just one line from cap to edge of cone, you have the entire cone. LOTS more sounds available. Due to variations in the materials the cone is made of, every spot on the speaker sounds different when close-mic'ed. It's kinda like looking at an elephant through a straw.... :)

Tons of value here in the new DynaCab packs! Can't wait until the '65 Bassguy pack comes out - I use that one a lot in the internal DynaCabs....

Pan knobs would be great on this awesome plugin.
It does seem odd that it is missing that feature. Panning of the IR’s is a standard feature in a cab emulation plugin.

I think this speaks to the schizophrenic nature of CabLab. If you see it as a cab emulation plugin, it should have pan controls. But I think FAS sees it primarily as an IR blender that is used to produce mono IR’s for use in an AxeFX. In that case pan controls wouldn’t make sense.

It does seem odd that it is missing that feature. Panning of the IR’s is a standard feature in a cab emulation plugin.

I think this speaks to the schizophrenic nature of CabLab. If you see it as a cab emulation plugin, it should have pan controls. But I think FAS sees it primarily as an IR blender that is used to produce mono IR’s for use in an AxeFX. In that case pan controls wouldn’t make sense.

Would be nice if it had panning and could save -L and -R impulse responses, I suppose....

We don't have an m160....
We have THE m160 :p
...and now you'll just need a Sennheiser MD 421 dynamic to go with your Beyer M160 ribbon, which will finally make a nice virtual guitar cab mic locker along with the current selection.

The Sennheiser MD 421 dynamic and Beyer M160 ribbon are both somewhat unique, and have been staple guitar cab mics since forever etc!

IMO, CL4 sounds great and it has great mic positioning granularity, though the Standalone is clunky to use, while the Plugin is awesome excepting the current lack of a AAX version.

Obviously increased mic and cab choices are a need that will be attended to going forward (M160 and MD421 etc).

The Standalone on the other hand should ultimately be folded into the Editor so remote preset editing is available sans the clunky pausing one app to use the other etc.

As everyone one knows, tweaking the amp in realtime along with the mic'ing of guitar cabs is the time honored tradition.

Assuming this would require the use of the HW's analog outs, so be it IMO.

The Standalone on the other hand should ultimately be folded into the Editor so remote preset editing is available sans the clunky pausing one app to use the other etc.

I agree this would be awesome. I think actually it would be a sales boost to FAS because all the people already using Axe-Edit would now automatically have Cab Lab 4 installed on their system, and it would be that much more impetus to try a DynaCab pack.

Every other ir loader has pan knobs, including the dyna cab... Mono irs are totally pan-able

True, however the cab block is configurable for stereo in and out. Cab Lab is currently mono in and out. Full stereo support would be a nice option though, especially for the plugin.

Why would you assume that? Just curious...
Hmmm, not sure of the Fractal USB implementation, plus they also have streams to and from CL, USB MIDI, plus multiple I/O's depending on HW, though USB 2.x or better should be able to handle it if the HW can?

In my case my FM3 would be receiving MIDI automation while I tweaked my cab mic'ing in the Standalone/Editor to our backing track(s), so there's additional overhead involved. Note that the Plugin handles this fine already, i.e loop a section and tweak the mic positioning and FM3 parameters via the CL4 Plugin and the Editor, though I use the analog outputs.

"Assuming" was the wrong word I guess apologies.

Last edited:
Hmmm, not sure of the Fractal USB implementation, plus they also have streams to and from CL, USB MIDI, plus multiple I/O's depending on HW, though USB 2.x or better should be able to handle it if the HW can?

In my case my FM3 would be receiving MIDI automation while I tweaked my cab mic'ing in the Standalone/Editor to our backing track(s), so there's additional overhead involved. Note that the Plugin handles this fine already, i.e loop a section and tweak the mic positioning and FM3 parameters via the CL4 Plugin and the Editor, though use the analog outputs.

"Assuming" was the wrong word I guess apologies.
Got it. Thanks for elaborating.

I think the USB could handle it, but maybe not.

Back
Top Bottom