DynaCab Pack Limited Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
In just poking at it briefly late last night, I discovered FM9-Edit and Cab-Lab4 could both be open if you only connect to the unit with one at a time. A quick "disable communications" in -Edit and "connect to device" in Cab-Lab4 works, and the reverse also to switch to using -Edit. Saves a little time, at least....
I also found it was a challenge to get sounds as good as the DynaCab sounds out of even the best of my old single IRs. Had to resort to 57+160 and a fair amount of tweaking and tweezing in Cab-Lab4 on some YA AC30 2x12 IRs to get close to what I was getting in the DynaCab with just the Ribbon mic located "just so". Can't wait to download the Cab Packs and get started....

POSSIBLE BUG
Actually I don't know if that's a bug or if it's by design, but the save & export section doesn't change color when changing skin. See pic

Cab-Lab bug.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like that Software Live Mode could re-cab the cab at the position of the cab in the preset
I haven't played with it much, but it looks like HW Manual Audition mode is a way of getting the CabLab output in that position, by using the scratchpad. It's just not live. You have to manually send over changes. So maybe SW Live mode to tweak and then HW Manual to test in position....

I haven't played with it much, but it looks like HW Manual Audition mode is a way of getting the CabLab output in that position, by using the scratchpad. It's just not live. You have to manually send over changes. So maybe SW Live mode to tweak and then HW Manual to test in position....
Yes, that's one good possible workflow. Personally, once I get there in SW Live Mode, I'll just send the mix to a permanent user cab, shut down Cab-Lab, open Axe-Edit, then adjust and save a preset.

I have tried the Audition HW Manual. It can be helpful for small adjustments, but IMO it's not practical as a starting point for searching a tone.

In this mode you can only hear the changes you are doing in Cab-Lab after pressing the "Send" button. In other words, you tweak Cab-Lab and you don't hear any difference until you press "Send".

So, if you want to hear what you are doing, you have to click constantly the "Send" button (every time you move a parameter).

I prefer to tweak the cab directly in the editor or the device than do this process using the Audition HW Manual.

possible small inconsistency issue related to double clicking on the dot to return to centre:

If you have dragged the dot away from centre at the "Zoom" page (or have returned to the "Zoom" page since dragging the dot away from centre at the "Main" page), then double-clicking the dot at the "Main" page does not return "Angular" to 0 (just "Center Edge goes to 0). "Angular" only returns to 0 when double clicking the dot at the "Main" page when the "Main" page was where the dot was initially dragged away from centre and when the "Zoom" page was not visited since dragging the dot away from centre at the "Main" page. "Angular" and "Center Edge" always go to 0 when double-clicking the dot away from centre on the "Zoom" page. "Distance" is consistent and never returns to 0 with a double-click anywhere (thought I'd kinda prefer "Distance" to go to 0 with a dot double-click also)

Last edited:
There was one think that could've been smoother during the purchase and installation process: when I placed my order around 10 pm, the order status screen read "awaiting payment" and the order email read "immediate download after completing payment" even though I had just entered my credit card. I thought there would be a small delay in me being able to download the packs, so I just waited while I began to read the manual. But the email never came that night. I remembered this being the case when I bought a Fractal Cab Pack some time ago. This time the "order status has changed" emails came around 5:00 am.

When I bought the cab pack before, I just waited until the next email came before downloading my cab pack, but this I thought after a few minutes that I should just enter my account and see if maybe the Dyna Cabs were actually available right away anyway, and, to my surprise, they were, so I then went to the cab manager, the rest of the process was smooth sailing.
Agreed. This was confusing. I'm glad I found your post because it made me realize I needed to Install & Authorize from within Cab-Lab and not wait for an additional email or F5 My Account on FractalAudio.com

I can also confirm that the Bluetooth button crashed CL4; not only that, but when I re-opened it, it no longer found my packs and I had to re-login to the cab pack manager to "regain" my packs.

I also noticed the volume slider had no impact until dragged all the way down (at which point sound was muted). Then I clicked on the "i" and saw the error of my ways.

I love being able to move the mics around like this; it's so easy to dial up a perfect tone. I feel like Jimmy Page (without the mansion, guitar skills, or twenty-something girlfriend).

Last edited:
I use the Pause Communications button in the upper left corner of each program window to work around most of this. Pause Axe-Edit to connect CL4. Pause CL4 and unpause Axe-Edit to edit blocks. Maybe not "perfect world" ideal, but it works.
I'm running Cablab4 standalone and AE simultaneously by having Cablab4 in "Live Mode" but with Axfx disconnected in Cablab4 and with the midi settings configured to have Input coming from AxfxIII Output1 Block L/R, and Output going to a dedicated (for IR Testing) output on my Audio Interface. This is how I used to run Mikko and it works well with Cablab also. This method also puts the Cab at the end of chain - I tend to not want mod/delay/reverb ... running between Cab and output when dialing in Cab IRs anyway so not a problem to have my test Cablab Cab at end for me.

Last edited:
I picked up the 1960TV first and then later decided to get the Double Verb. So far, I've been able to get sounds that are much better than what I was able to come up with in the hardware versions. I think the fact that they're Ultrares does actually make a difference in how full they sound in the low end. Also, being able to move the mic around the entire speaker is really helpful, as it changes the sound quite a bit instead of being limited to just one angle. The additional mic options are also cool.

I wish there was a way to see a larger view of the overall mix frequency graph. Maybe there could be a way to toggle between the individual mic graph and the overall mix in the zoom tab?

I also found the level sliders to be a bit touchy, but I just figured out that you can double click on the Db value and enter a number in.

I have purchased the 4x12 1960TV. Standalone version installed correctly on an ASUS ROG GL52V with Windows10

👉 I note that the volume when auditioning in SW Live Mode is much higher than through the IR or DynaCab loaded at the Axe-FX cab block.

I have saved my first mix to the Axe-FX, and when I come back to my saved session at Cab-Lab the volume is louder. Why is that? I see no volume control at CabLab

Where are the LiveMode mixes provisionally loaded at the Axe-FX? At one of the Scratchpads? I would like to change parameters like the Preamp settings or smoothness while doing mixes from CabLab.

BTW: with the paid version of CabLab 3 we could open Axe-Edit simultaneously while in Live Mode. Why not with CabLab 4? That is very important for doing adjustments during the mixing sessions
I thought live monitoring in CabLab was louder also, but realized that you can lower it by adjusting the USB levels in the Axe-Fx III.

Purchased the Dynacab Packs 4x12 1960TV, 1X12 Ac20 and 2X12 Double Verb, downloaded and installed with no issues on Mac Mini OS13.0. Standalone version seems to be working as intended including saving cab to Mac and then loading into FM9. Logic Pro 10.7.7 plug-in loaded and worked. So far so good.

Using the 1960TV. Installation of CabLab Standalong was flawless. Ran it through its paces of adding cabs, switching mics, moving mic positions, phase alignment, etc. No problems. Even mixed in a "regular" cab from my collection - after adjusting phase alignment it blended with the Dynas flawlessly. The only bug - if you want to call it that - was when adding a cab or changing a mic, the pointer would hourglass and stay that way UNTIL I made any sort of adjustment to mic position, hi/low cut, etc. It was very noticeable when I'd have three and four cabs.

Sound-wise, the 1960Vs are very nice! The extra mic options are also great. Very easy to get a good sound.

Last edited:
I bough three of the packs last night. It took an hour to download the 1960 cab last night and this morning I was able to download he other two in less than 5 minutes. That was weird. I was having some audio dropouts when I pulled up cab labs in my DAW. It was just one channel for monitoring my axefx and I had a limiter on the master bus to bring up the level so it wasn't a load on my CPU. Windows 10 with Cubase 11 Pro. I'll check again this evening to see if the drop outs persist.
The packs sound amazing and the UI is easy to use. I don't remember seeing any options to pan.
If I were to put this on my Guitar sum channel where I run Left and Right guitars to and used Cab Lab on that bus does Cab Lab run in stereo like other plugins? Turns out yes it does run in stereo!! Well done FAS!
Thank you for letting me participate in the Beeeta. This is amazing

Last edited:
To be clear regarding the CL4 stand-alone, in my case I have to have the FM3 disconnected (via the menu control), to get the software live mode to pass audio, and then connect to the FM3 to save IR's to the HW, is that expected behavior?

Then after closing CL4 after saving IR to HW, I have to reboot the FM3 to get audio working, is that expected behavior as well?

I picked up the 1960TV first and then later decided to get the Double Verb. So far, I've been able to get sounds that are much better than what I was able to come up with in the hardware versions. I think the fact that they're Ultrares does actually make a difference in how full they sound in the low end. Also, being able to move the mic around the entire speaker is really helpful, as it changes the sound quite a bit instead of being limited to just one angle. The additional mic options are also cool.

I wish there was a way to see a larger view of the overall mix frequency graph. Maybe there could be a way to toggle between the individual mic graph and the overall mix in the zoom tab?

I also found the level sliders to be a bit touchy, but I just figured out that you can double click on the Db value and enter a number in.
Double clicking the fader itself zeros it and sets focus so the up/down arrow keys can increment it (by 0.4dB IIRC)....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom