Just bought some EV PXM - 12MP’s

Just received the PMX12 today. Out of the box monitor 2 blows my Yamaha DRX10 MKII out of the water. You can peel paint off the walls and sounds so much fuller.. Great buy. Tip if you order. Call in and ask if they can do better ( say "convince me not to go to Sweetwater) instead of buying off the website. You'd be surprised what room some dealers may have.

Just received the PMX12 today. Out of the box monitor 2 blows my Yamaha DRX10 MKII out of the water. You can peel paint off the walls and sounds so much fuller.. Great buy. Tip if you order. Call in and ask if they can do better ( say "convince me not to go to Sweetwater) instead of buying off the website. You'd be surprised what room some dealers may have.
Cool! I was so happy with mine, I ordered a second one. I'm gonna run these puppies in stereo! (and I'm still ahead compared to amount of gear I'm currently hauling around) :tonguewink:

A bass player — a good one — is often the best listener in the band. It's his job to glue everyone else together, so he needs to be aware of what everyone else is doing.
When I was playing in stage band in college, drums, bass, guitar and piano were the rhythm section. Guitar listened to the drummer's snare and accents, bass listened to the kick and accents, piano… well, I'm not sure what they listened to, but our assigned goal was to be the locomotive that pulled the train.

I still do that at jams. When I don't know all the musicians I focus on the drummer and bass, lock in, and then, often, I'm next to the horns so we start feeding each other accents and lines until we're swinging. So many times we end up laughing because we have so much fun.

Last edited:
Cool! I was so happy with mine, I ordered a second one. I'm gonna run these puppies in stereo! (and I'm still ahead compared to amount of gear I'm currently hauling around) :tonguewink:
Having two can create some serious sound on stage. Several times I've stacked mine on their sides so they're like a vertical 2x12. You can still hear the stereo effect but the cabinets couple the low notes.

Having two can create some serious sound on stage. Several times I've stacked mine on their sides so they're like a vertical 2x12. You can still hear the stereo effect but the cabinets couple the low notes.
Next time, try stacking them at 90° to each other. You get 180° coverage (if you want that) with less interaction.

Reactions: mj3
Long time I had discuessions with my band mates (Rock Cover) that my guitar sound is not punchy and has no balls.
I used to use a Dynacord AXM12 which is similar to EV pxm12. I had it as a wedge in front of me.

Now I ordered a pxm12 additionally and have both of them stacked behind me, wow, it sounds amazing and band mates are happy aswell :)

My third PXM arrived yesterday. The plan is to try WDW with them because why not. I'm not sure how effective it'll be compared to WDW with real cabs--the EVs being less directional might work against them...or for them. No idea. Should be a fun experiment anyway! (Whenever I get to pick up a guitar again...it's been like a week :( )
IMG_3208.jpeg

My third PXM arrived yesterday. The plan is to try WDW with them because why not. I'm not sure how effective it'll be compared to WDW with real cabs--the EVs being less directional might work against them...or for them. No idea. Should be a fun experiment anyway! (Whenever I get to pick up a guitar again...it's been like a week :( )
View attachment 126754
You will like it! but I would suggest that you set up in the other direction to get a little more distance between the wet cabs.

View attachment 126754
Cool!
Have you worked out how to get that experience out to the audience?

Inspired by this thread and all the praise I've picked up a PXM-12MP, too, and the second is on its way because I was like if imma do it imma do it in stereo.
With the Axe so far I've used a tube and SS PAs and traditional guitar cabs along with studio monitors and I have to say I'm really pleasantly surprised at how usable this little guy is. I'm still finding my way around it - I tend to like Monitor 2 mode as well, it's full range but still lively.
I still have to get used to the lows and highs this thing is putting out - this is the biggest difference compared to my PA + guitar cab setup. I've been toying with low and high cut in the Cab block but I still haven't found what I'm looking for...
u2 GIF by iHeartRadio

How can I make this the most guitar cab-like experience?
Thanks in advance :)

Inspired by this thread and all the praise I've picked up a PXM-12MP, too, and the second is on its way because I was like if imma do it imma do it in stereo.
With the Axe so far I've used a tube and SS PAs and traditional guitar cabs along with studio monitors and I have to say I'm really pleasantly surprised at how usable this little guy is. I'm still finding my way around it - I tend to like Monitor 2 mode as well, it's full range but still lively.
I still have to get used to the lows and highs this thing is putting out - this is the biggest difference compared to my PA + guitar cab setup. I've been toying with low and high cut in the Cab block but I still haven't found what I'm looking for...
u2 GIF by iHeartRadio

How can I make this the most guitar cab-like experience?
Thanks in advance :)
cut everything under 100hz and over 5500hz.. if you want it close to real cab sound.. still different though..

Better use real cab, if you want the sound of real cab, no way around it IMO.

I ordered a PXM-12MP for my FM9 based on the recommendations on this forum. I recently got the FM9 to use upstairs and to play out with. I’ve been plugging the FM9 into an old SWR California Blonde acoustic guitar amp which is kind of like a mini PA.

I’m using Adam A7V studio monitors with my Axe-Fx III in my basement studio. I really like the sound I’m getting out of the studio monitors. I’m hoping that the PXM-12MP will achieve similar results with the FM9.

I ordered a PXM-12MP for my FM9 based on the recommendations on this forum. I recently got the FM9 to use upstairs and to play out with. I’ve been plugging the FM9 into an old SWR California Blonde acoustic guitar amp which is kind of like a mini PA.

I’m using Adam A7V studio monitors with my Axe-Fx III in my basement studio. I really like the sound I’m getting out of the studio monitors. I’m hoping that the PXM-12MP will achieve similar results with the FM9.
It should get you fairly close! I think it's intended design works like it should and does it faithfully without breaking your back.

cut everything under 100hz and over 5500hz.. if you want it close to real cab sound.. still different though..

Better use real cab, if you want the sound of real cab, no way around it IMO.
Comments like these are the ones that make me think that maybe I have room to improve on something:

I turned cab modeling back on, switched from solid state to FRFR, started adding cabs and making a few tweaks, and within an hour or two felt like I was getting better tones than I was with my solid state amp/cab via AITR.

So I started tweaking and I ended up tweaking a LOT. I started with adjustments to the cab block, trying a few different IRs and various Dynacabs. I added a PEQ block and two GEQ blocks. I adjusted the output EQ. And after all that it still doesn't sound like my cab...I think it might sound better.

I've never been a big fan of FRFRs but I think I'm now a convert. At least for this one. I have a second one on the way already.

I was finally able to test the WDW rig out. It was pretty loud and sounded amazing.

The only tweak I made was I turned the treble down 3db on the EVs and proceeded to have a bunch of fun for about an hour. A few more days of that and I might be convinced to sell off a bunch of amps and cabs lol

Back
Top Bottom