TS-10 Pedal for Axe 3

dharq

Inspired
I am wondering if there is a Ibanez Tube Screamer TS-10 Pedal for Axe-Fx III
if there isn't maybe someone could figure out how to make one

if there is what is it, where do I find it?

also my Angle Severe 2 went missing where can I get another one to load in

Thanks

There's a TS808, a 808Mod, the TS9 and a Maxon - what makes the 10 so different?

Also, amp models can't go missing - do you mean you've deleted a preset?

well I have the real TS-10 green Tube screamer it has a more staccato sound I like

I thought I was copying and moving the copy to a new place number then I made some changes
and saved, but now I cant find the original Angle Severe 2 so I may have used the real one not copied it...
"also my Angle Severe 2 went missing where can I get another one to load in"

I think this is the funniest thing I've ever read on this forum. :sweatsmile:
it’s not that hard to forget it’s the original your copying and not a copy I just need to know which power tubes are being used and what pre amp tubes I can re make it

Are you saying you changed settings on the amp block on your preset?

When you load a new preset, select the ENGL amp models, they will be at stock settings and not the differences you made by editing the block on the preset.

Or if you want to change it to stock on the preset you happen to be on, just reset the amp block and there you go, it's back to normal.

Are you saying you changed settings on the amp block on your preset?

When you load a new preset, select the ENGL amp models, they will be at stock settings and not the differences you made by editing the block on the preset.

Or if you want to change it to stock on the preset you happen to be on, just reset the amp block and there you go, it's back to normal.
Oh yah I’ll try it thanks

Or if you’ve overwritten the factory presets you can find them by searching on the forum or selectively restoring from your recent backups

Boy oh boy do I hope one famous guitarist happens to use a TS-7, and then all the people are ready to pay 400 bucks for it. I remember when I bought a TS-7 just for the heck of it really for 20 bucks, it was a very strange experience comparing it to my Maxon OD808 and not being able to tell the difference in front of a high gain amp to save my life.

TS-9 and TS-10 are pretty much indistinguishable tonally to me. I have one of the former, and 3 of the latter. The TS-10 I use most is modded to mostly TS-808 specs, and for more bass ("brown" mod as it was called back in the day). However the other 2 are completely stock.

I only have early model TS-10s with the original JRC4558D op-amps used in the TS-808 and TS-9, which some say sounds better. I've tried swapping op-amps in my modded one, and it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference.

if there isn't maybe someone could figure out how to make one

That sounds like an interesting challenge! I'll try to find some time to deep-dive the TS-9 model and properly match it to one of my stock TS-10s when I get a chance. I'm generally using the "T808 OD" block for TS tones in the Axe FX III. If you can let me know where you normally have the knobs set on your TS-10 I'll try to match it at those settings initially. Would also help to know what kind of pickups you are normally using with it, as that can make a difference in the way the guitar's primary tone interacts with everything else.

Boy oh boy do I hope one famous guitarist happens to use a TS-7, and then all the people are ready to pay 400 bucks for it. I remember when I bought a TS-7 just for the heck of it really for 20 bucks, it was a very strange experience comparing it to my Maxon OD808 and not being able to tell the difference in front of a high gain amp to save my life.

Funnily enough, back in the 2nd year of a Physics with Optoelectronics degree (1998 maybe?) I did an end of year practical project on "the Physics of musical sound". I wish I had kept a copy of the report and presentation, as I compared a few different Tube Screamer models, and another student on the course had a TS-7 that I borrowed for some testing over the audible frequency range. The TS-7 wasn't measurably different. I felt it didn't sound as good as the TS-10 I was using for gigs at the time, but even then I knew that was probably a combination of psychology and snobbery!

I got the TS-10s because they were really affordable back in the early 90s on the used market, and I honestly couldn't tell the difference from the more "desirable" models. Then John Mayer started talking about the TS-10, and the mint, boxed one I have is probably worth hundreds of dollars now, so I have ended up never using it. I'll never sell it, but I bought it as spare for my modded one, and I can't really take a soldering iron to it!

Liam

Last edited:
We doing this “I can hear a difference between tube screamer variants” again? 😅

I thought we put that to bed here?

If you think your TS-10 is special, tone match it with the unit and you'll find it's easily replicated with the 808 or Maxon models in the box.

Last edited:
We doing this “I can hear a difference between tube screamer variants” again? 😅

I thought we put that to bed here?
Not completely. The TS-10 isn't a "standard" Tube Screamer circuit as most clones are. It has an additional emitter follower driving the bypass circuit (which I don't think can make any difference to the tone), and runs with a different common bias voltage (which might just change something). It also has an additional resistor on the input to the clipping amp, which probably changes frequency response as well as reducing the overall gain available. Whether either of these is meaningful is worth asking. As the OP has said, we don't have a TS-10 model to compare directly with in the Axe FX, and you may have put everything else to bed, but I don't think the TS-10 was among them.
If you think your TS-10 is special, tone match it with the unit and you'll find it's easily replicated with the 808 or Maxon models in the box.
I don't think the OP is saying his TS-10 is special, just that it isn't modelled in the Axe FX. I've never thought enough of this to care, despite having relied on TS-10s for much of the last 30 years. There might be a little more to it than a simple tone match. I'll try to have a play. You might well be right.

Liam

It has an additional emitter follower driving the bypass circuit
That doesn't impact the drive tone.

and runs with a different common bias voltage (which might just change something)
You can change the bias voltage on the diodes in the Fractal models.

but I don't think the TS-10 was among them
Send me one and I'll show you how indistinguishable it is from the others.

I've built enough TS-variants in the course of my lifetime now to feel smugly assured in my position that it's all just snakeoil and component drift.

There might be a little more to it than a simple tone match.
There isn't. And even then "little" is the operative word here. You're matching the component drift.

You might well be right.
I am ;)

@iaresee, you are absolutely 100% incontrovertibly correct. I took a completely stock TS10 with JRC4558D op-amp and checked its match with the Valve Screamer VS9 model in the Axe FX III on FW 21.04.

07C2F2CE-FF71-4B6F-8CEC-83DE3FDA8945.jpeg

(Green LED is the only thing thing non-standard in that one.)

The only meaningful difference is in the pot tapers for Level and Tone controls, where the mid position on the physical pedal is pretty much right on 4.0 in the equivalent controls for the TS-9 model. The Drive pot seems to be an exact match throughout its range. When I checked the extremes of all the controls I was expecting to be able to hear or feel some sort of difference. Instead just found myself muttering "holy sh1t, this is absolutely uncanny!" repeatedly.

@Joe Bfstplk, yep always felt the same about the TS-10 here, and I spent an hour or 2 chasing it this morning. I used a Fender Princeton model to check the match, as I find that is pretty revealing with Drive models (and doesn't always sound all that good with them).

The guitar is a stop-tail bridge Les Paul Gold Top with OX4 P90s for similar reasons - it is capable of tones from very sweet to totally savage, and has plenty of output and brightness. On my initial runs at this I was listening through a pair of Red Sound MF10s, and managed to convince myself that I needed a high cut at about 7.7 kHz to get a match. However I also know that the MF10s tend to low-pass at around 5 kHz (much like a 4x12 cab does), so anything I was hearing was more "artefacts" rather than genuine frequency response differences.

Consequently I tried again this afternoon using a pair of RCF ART 732-A Mk4. It turned out I hadn't mapped the mid positions of the tone and level controls quite right. Once I could hear the full high frequency range (or at least of much of it as 56 year old ears can) I brought the model's tone control up a little, and the level down (hadn't figured they would probably need to be in the same position as one another initially 🤦‍♂️). Taking the low pass back up to 20 kHz no longer made any audible difference.

The only other thing I think might make a very subtle difference is the bias point of the diodes. The stock VS9 model is set at 0.010, and it possibly feels a little closer to my TS-10 at 0.020. I say possibly, but this is when working with 2 drive tones that are beyond indistinguishable from one another audibly. It really is just a "feel" thing, and either very subtle, or completely psychosomatic on my part. Even with the diode bias set at zero, there is no way any blindfold test or comparison of clips would be able to tell the physical TS-10 pedal and the model apart.

I've built enough TS-variants in the course of my lifetime now to feel smugly assured in my position that it's all just snakeoil and component drift.

Ian, your smug self-assurance is entirely warranted. There is absolutely no point in even considering a dedicated Axe-FX TS-10 model. Even if was an exact match to one of my stock production examples, it would be completely indistinguishable from the VS9 we already have.

Liam

Last edited:
@iaresee, you are absolutely 100% incontrovertibly correct. I took a completely stock TS10 with JRC4558D op-amp and checked its match with the Valve Screamer VS9 model in the Axe FX III on FW 21.04.
This is excellent news (on the being able to verify their pretty much identical, save some part tolerance differences)!

Thank you for doing that @LiamH!

Ian, your smug self-assurance is entirely warranted. There is absolutely no point in even considering a dedicated Axe-FX TS-10 model. Even if was an exact match to one of my stock production examples, it would be completely indistinguishable from the VS9 we already have.
Honestly, I'm trying to be funny but it's hard to be funny on the internet. :D

When you think about it, the TS10 matching the TS9 and what not this makes sense. With the Soundtank series, Ibanez was out to produce a lower cost alternative to their normal, metal-housing pedals. As much as they possibly could, they wanted the Soundtank versions to sound and behave the same way as their metal-housing counterparts.

The only other thing I think might make a very subtle difference is the bias point of the diodes. The stock VS9 model is set at 0.010, and it possibly feels a little closer to my TS-10 at 0.020. I say possibly, but this is when working with 2 drive tones that are beyond indistinguishable from one another audibly. It really is just a "feel" thing, and either very subtle, or completely psychosomatic on my part. Even with the diode bias set at zero, there is no way any blindfold test or comparison of clips would be able to tell the physical TS-10 pedal and the model apart.
The beauty of the Fractal world is we can tweak this stuff without breaking out a soldering iron! You can dial in just the right amount of sag or stiffness to suit your needs.

This is excellent news (on the being able to verify their pretty much identical, save some part tolerance differences)!

Honestly, I'm trying to be funny but it's hard to be funny on the internet. :D
It's fine Ian, I got it. I was trying to be funny in my reply - oh the irony! :tearsofjoy: To be honest, if there are any parts tolerance issues beyond pot taper (and I think even that's probably down to them using a different make of pot) I cannot hear or feel them. I'm generally considered fussy about that kind of stuff.
When you think about it, the TS10 matching the TS9 and what not this makes sense. With the Soundtank series, Ibanez was out to produce a lower cost alternative to their normal, metal-housing pedals. As much as they possibly could, they wanted the Soundtank versions to sound and behave the same way as their metal-housing counterparts.
Except the TS-10 isn't the Soundtank series - that was the TS-5. The XX-10 series was actually a metal bodied upgrade series for easier battery changes, from the top, with a flip door that couldn't be lost, and improved buffers and switching. They must have invested a bit in tooling for the unique metal case and moulded plastic parts too. XX-5 and XX-7 were the lower cost later versions, but the TS-10 was the ultimate "luxury" version in my mind.
The beauty of the Fractal world is we can tweak this stuff without breaking out a soldering iron! You can dial in just the right amount of sag or stiffness to suit your needs.
It's almost like cheating! I miss getting the soldering iron out to try things. However when I think back on the days of waiting for components to arrive in the mail so I could try the latest tweak I'd heard about or thought of, and then spending evenings disassembling pedals and building strip-boards from scratch... A lot of the time I'd hear the "improvements" in the sound, but I was so invested in the time I'd spent that it's likely it would sound different to me whether there was any genuine difference or not. It at least leaves me with an internal mental "toolkit" of things to try in the Axe FX if a model doesn't sound quite how I had hoped it might.

The beauty of the Fractal world for me, and the thing that amazes me most nowadays, is the fidelity of the models to the original hardware that they mimic. Honestly, I thought max'ing out the Drive and Tone, or taking the Drive down to zero with the Level dimed would reveal some flaw in the current Drive algorithms compared with a physical pedal. Absolutely no difference whatsoever! It even amplifies RFI/EMI when you let go of the guitar strings in the same way, and the feedback from the speakers when you stand too close while tweaking.

Liam

Except the TS-10 isn't the Soundtank series - that was the TS-5. The XX-10 series was actually a metal bodied upgrade series for easier battery changes, from the top, with a flip door that couldn't be lost, and improved buffers and switching. They must have invested a bit in tooling for the unique metal case and moulded plastic parts too. XX-5 and XX-7 were the lower cost later versions, but the TS-10 was the ultimate "luxury" version in my mind.
Doh! Well that's my bad for mixing them up!

I know this is a branch to the discussion but, I used to run a Engl e670 Special Edition with the TS10 and for some reason the magic of the TS10 made things more staccato sound. I guess I am trying to re create that environment with my Axe 3 and TS10

The Angle Severe 2 not quite the tone of the Engl e670 I am trying to bring in the more luxurious tone I used to get I know this sounds very open ended but its hard to explain, if this makes any sense...

side bar does anyone know where Cliff's Special Tone Sauce post went to for Axe 3 it was a while ago, I used to love those settings.

Another test Drive I used to do is Marshall JCM900 with Soldano Hotmod in pre Amp with Ibanez TS10 its was pretty great even if the JCM 900 wasn't...

Last edited:
I also read somewhere that the TS10 bias is slightly different than the other variants. So for my John Mayer presets I’ve been setting the bias around .30 or so. Does it make a difference?🤷🏻‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom