Wireless system for FM3

Will be receiving my GLDX16+ today...replacing Line 6 G30 which I've used for years.
@RLD

If you don’t mind, could you share a photo or description of how the transmitter belt clip works and maybe what it looks like. I haven’t been able to find any information other that it comes with a transmitter body pack belt clip.

I hope it works well for you. Looks like a nice solution.

Thanks

I've been using the Line 6 G30 and have been pretty happy. I don't notice any tone suck (unless I turn on the cable emulation) and it is pretty robust. I did just do a gig with it that for some reason it would drop out if I walked off stage. I never did figure it out but assumed it was some interference. It was an outdoor gig, so a little weird.

I've been using the Line 6 G30 and have been pretty happy. I don't notice any tone suck (unless I turn on the cable emulation) and it is pretty robust. I did just do a gig with it that for some reason it would drop out if I walked off stage. I never did figure it out but assumed it was some interference. It was an outdoor gig, so a little weird.
I guess if it was going to drop out, that’s the way you would want it to work. 😂😂😂

I'm running a Line 6 Relay G70. The reasons I chose that model is because of the very low latency (claimed 1.5 ms) and the metal belt pack.
Never had any issues with it.
It also has a useful scan feature, DI output, two quarter inch outputs at once (configurable) and a tuner/mute.
Drop-outs are only occurring when moving out of range: it has a pedal format receiver, there are no external antennas and it is mostly on the floor, which is not the most ideal placement for the highest possible range.

I am very sensitive to latency.
What I found out is that at first I really got the impression that the latency is a lot larger when going wireless... at least observable.
However, I later found out this is just the physics involved: when going cabled, I never go more than 6 meters so I'm fairly tethered. I am finding myself often going a lot further away out front at sound check etc., which - for me, at first - seemingly increases the latency as you are near the limits of the wireless range.
I'm always using FM3 going direct to PA, so you're quickly going 10+ meters away from the PA speakers.
This translates to about 29ms of latency, just from the time the sound waves need traveling this distance to your ear.

You will notice the latency introduced by the wireless is just a fraction of that...
Of course it all adds up (wireless - FM3 - digital mixer processing - PA processing), but the wireless alone doesn't have that much of an impact compared to just plain physical distance.

I'm using in-ears with an UHF transmitter for monitoring since I realized this👍...

I use an old Shure analog wireless. Works great. I've tried the new digital wireless systems, they work great too. Anyone that says they can feel 1.5 or 2 ms, I'm calling bull!@#$. A millisecond is 1/1000 of a second. Now walking around 30+ feet from your amp, yes you can hear and feel that.

Some of the digital systems have a lot of latency. The Sure GLXD+ is up to 8ms. Add that on top of your FM3 and digital mixer latency, and it’s something you could definitely feel.

-Aaron

Recent experience with wireless units here. Had the Gen1 GLXD and absolutely loved it until it became plagued with dropouts.

I replaced it with a Sennheiser ewd-c1 1.9ms latency apparently. It's fantastic. Not running on 2.4/5ghz, Bluetooth updating and reciever control. Just awesome.

Recently tried the GLXD+, was extremely excited to see it's return. Love that form factor. Had it for two weeks and it worked flawlessly up until last week. I fired it up for a jam and it started to stutter and drop out. Tried all the groups and scanned multiple times. No luck. Not sure what's changed in the last week but I won't take any more chances with 2.4/5ghz systems.

Go for the EWD-C1, and grab the rechargable battery and charger.

Only downside of the ewd is that it's not as fat/thick sounding as a cable. Kind of like an hpf is applied but you would never tell live and probably helps keep the mix clean.

Also I tried the slxd before the ewd system and it was awful. Very disconnected feel.

Lmk if you have any other questions. I did a pretty massive impression/review on talkbass. Happy to help if you want/need more info.

It's worth noting that 1ms is the roughly time it takes for sound to travel 1ft, so if you're a cabled player and want to get a feel for what it's like playing on even the worst wireless unit these days, take another step back from your cabinet. LOL

Latency issues are far more the result of distance to the amp rather than the delay imposed by a wireless unit.

+1 on the latency matter. Oddly enough the GLXD reports higher latency than the SLXD, but the SLDX just seemed "uncoupled" like the sound response was floating... hard to describe. GLXD and EWD are much more connected feeling, I can't tell either from a cable response wise.

The two best units that I have direct experience with are the Line 6 G50 and Shure GLDX. Both are rugged and hold up to the demands of touring/gigging incredibly well. Most of the projects I perform with have, er, "active" stage shows so my needs usually trend toward anything well-built than can hold up to abuse. The G50 is what I currently use on my board.

Line 6 Pros:
Great quality for the buck.
Cable tone option is incredibly useful.
Receiver can be powered via a typical negative-barrel 9V pedal power supply. (Or with a custom cable using FASLINK's 12V out and a step-down buck converter!)
8 hours of life on IKEA high capacity AAs.

Line 6 Cons:
Cable to your instrument requires a TA4F mini-XLR. Pack an extra.
Playing distance seems far more hindered by line-of sight issues than GLDX units, but I've been using unknown after-market antennas. Just bought some genuine 2.4gHz paddles so I anticipate this will improve.

GLDX Pros:
Better range in my experience. Not ever an issue if you never leave the stage though.
Incredible battery life and the transmitter pack can be charged via USB.
Receiver has an on-board tuner, so that's a killer plus if you still prefer an external tuner instead of the on-board FM3 one.

GLDX Cons:
Receiver can only be powered by Shure's proprietary wall wart. Pack an extra. (I've heard they may have changed this but I'm not Shure.)
Awkward receiver footprint. Tough to fit on a board if you already have little room to spare.
Expensive.

Over the course of touring, I've also been generally impressed with the performance of Sennheister devices, but having not used one myself I can't attest to them.

Attachments

• FASLINK buck converter hack.jpg
    FASLINK buck converter hack.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 27
Playing distance seems far more hindered by line-of sight issues than GLDX units
Oh, btw, I have a very bad experience with line-of-sight issue with NUX C-5RC. I assume it's because of active pickups, because clearly it's not everyone's experience with it, but for me it is barely usable oftentimes within a few feet between transmitter and receiver.

Oh, btw, I have a very bad experience with line-of-sight issue with NUX C-5RC. I assume it's because of active pickups, because clearly it's not everyone's experience with it, but for me it is barely usable oftentimes within a few feet between transmitter and receiver.
I recently got off a 3-week fill-in gig through Europe. There was a point in the set where the other guitarist and I would do an extended harmony solo thing and head over to the bar for shots while we played. Both units performed fantastically but on the rare occasion we had drop-outs, he was further away when they happened. It seemed that his GLDX was able to get around corners and further into crowds a good 10-15 feet further on average than my G50.

I'm hoping that the issue was caused by my use of after-market antennas, but considering my past experience with Shure unit, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if it simply happened to maintain a connection in situations with less than ideal line-of-sight with the receiver. It's a great piece of kit.

Edit: This might also have been caused by transmitter placement now that I think more on it. I keep my pack low on the backside of my strap and the other guitarist had his quite a bit higher, near his kidney. Worth a thought.

It's worth noting that 1ms is the roughly time it takes for sound to travel 1ft, so if you're a cabled player and want to get a feel for what it's like playing on even the worst wireless unit these days, take another step back from your cabinet. LOL

Latency issues are far more the result of distance to the amp rather than the delay imposed by a wireless unit.
True, but in the analog world, when the signal leaves the speaker, the signal starts at 0ms latency. In the digital world, however, the signal already has latency. And when you stack latency, it quickly becomes noticeable. Only a few transmitters have latency below 2ms. With the exception of the LINE6 G70, none is in the WLAN range that delivers these values. All others add 3ms, or even more.
And if you now start to loop digital effects units, it gets even worse.
Often you only play through wedges. Many of them have a DSP that also adds latency.
In this respect I am very enthusiastic about my system consisting of AXE FXIII - Sennheiser EW-DX and the analog IEM Sennheiser G4.
The EW-DX delivers excellent values and is not a 2.5 GHz toy. The 1.9 ms latency doesn't matter. And thanks to IEM, I have no latency caused by distance to the speakers.

True, but in the analog world, when the signal leaves the speaker, the signal starts at 0ms latency. In the digital world, however, the signal already has latency. And when you stack latency, it quickly becomes noticeable. Only a few transmitters have latency below 2ms. With the exception of the LINE6 G70, none is in the WLAN range that delivers these values. All others add 3ms, or even more.
And if you now start to loop digital effects units, it gets even worse.
Often you only play through wedges. Many of them have a DSP that also adds latency.
In this respect I am very enthusiastic about my system consisting of AXE FXIII - Sennheiser EW-DX and the analog IEM Sennheiser G4.
The EW-DX delivers excellent values and is not a 2.5 GHz toy. The 1.9 ms latency doesn't matter. And thanks to IEM, I have no latency caused by distance to the speakers.
For sure! All I meant was that the latency introduced by most wireless systems themselves isn't perceptible. Most certainly, if you have other devices in your path that have their own A-D/D-A converters, you could easily begin to approach the threshold where the latency becomes a real problem. As you suggested, those players should absolutely look toward the lowest-latency devices possible.

Funnily enough, I tend to find that far more musicians are in front of the beat than behind it when editing audio. The argument could be made that the latency introduced by wireless units actually improves many players performances. One man's trash!

Recent experience with wireless units here. Had the Gen1 GLXD and absolutely loved it until it became plagued with dropouts.

I replaced it with a Sennheiser ewd-c1 1.9ms latency apparently. It's fantastic. Not running on 2.4/5ghz, Bluetooth updating and reciever control. Just awesome.

Recently tried the GLXD+, was extremely excited to see it's return. Love that form factor. Had it for two weeks and it worked flawlessly up until last week. I fired it up for a jam and it started to stutter and drop out. Tried all the groups and scanned multiple times. No luck. Not sure what's changed in the last week but I won't take any more chances with 2.4/5ghz systems.

Go for the EWD-C1, and grab the rechargable battery and charger.

Only downside of the ewd is that it's not as fat/thick sounding as a cable. Kind of like an hpf is applied but you would never tell live and probably helps keep the mix clean.

Also I tried the slxd before the ewd system and it was awful. Very disconnected feel.

Lmk if you have any other questions. I did a pretty massive impression/review on talkbass. Happy to help if you want/need more info.
Hiya!

Any chance you could paste your Sennheiser EWD-C1 review into this thread? I am seriously considering one to replace an ancient Shure that I have 🤔

Back
Top Bottom