The Les Paul Greeny Standard is now available

nathan_393

Inspired
For those who may be interested, the Standard ($3200 USD) is now available: https://www.gibson.com/en-US/kirk-hammett-greeny

So there's a $50k option, a $20k option (give or take), and a $3k option.

I'm very interested in trying one of these, although we're a little house poor right now so I won't be buying one for some time. But thought I would share for those who might be interested. Would leave to hear your thoughts if any of you have the opportunity to play one.

Edit to add that Youtube videos are up about it. The first one I watched was the Peach demo, which is good as usual:

For those who may be interested, the Standard ($3200 USD) is now available: https://www.gibson.com/en-US/kirk-hammett-greeny

So there's a $50k option, a $20k option (give or take), and a $3k option.

I'm very interested in trying one of these, although we're a little house poor right now so I won't be buying one for some time. But thought I would share for those who might be interested. Would leave to hear your thoughts if any of you have the opportunity to play one.

Edit to add that Youtube videos are up about it. The first one I watched was the Peach demo, which is good as usual:

The $3k guitar is pointless. Just flip a magnet on a 50's standard and swap two knobs and the tuners. And yes I've played all three and the original.
Best value would be a Murphy R9 heavy relic and mod it (saves $10/40K.) Or better still don't.
The original is the worst real 59 I have ever played and the Murphy Lab R9s are all better IME.

The reason I say this is this is what these instruments actually are. The $3k is jut a standard in the right finish with 4 conductor pickups to do the out of phase. It is not in any way a higher spec instrument than the 50s standard . The same is true for the high end ones, these are Murphy Lab selected and painted standard R9s. All you get for the extra money is the limited edition status and certificate costing $1/10/40K respectively.
A trip to a store with a bunch of standards/R9s is the way to go and select your own. Unless you are a collector and want the particular edition.

Last edited:
This is all a fair point. The pickups are new though, right? And exclusive?

From what I heard, I like the pickups (particularly the neck pickup), and I love the top. But I suppose there are other LPs with AAA tops and no pick guard, as you say.

I bought the Slash Standard last year, but not out of any love for Slash. It was the best LP I’d played in a year of searching. My excitement for this guitar is really born from that experience.

Edit: it’s only $200 more than a Standard, which seems mostly harmless if one really likes the top or the pickups.

Last edited:
Not my favorite looking lemon burst. I'll play one if I see one in a store, other than that...meh.

The original is the worst real 59 I have ever played and the Murphy Lab R9s are all better IME.

Really?

I find that surprising considering how many people love Peter Green's music. What was so bad about it? FWIW, I don't know if I've ever played a murphy lab. I have played R7s-R0s, but I don't think any were ML. One R7 was relic'd, so maybe it was....I don't remember. I was demoing an amp and that's the LP the store let me use.

4 conductor pickups to do the out of phase.

Wasn't the original a magnet flip? Isn't that somehow different? I honestly don't know. But, why does it need 4-conductors just to do a polarity flip? Am I missing something about what it does?

Anyway....I don't know why, but I've disliked every 4-conductor humbucker I've ever played.

I'd love to see a blind playing test between all three to see if folks could tell the difference.

I'm totally over blind tests of guitars. With the exception of huge changes (e.g., fender SC to humbuckers, passive to active, polarity flips that IMO pretty much always sound bad unless it's Brian May playing, etc.), I'm convinced that whatever differences exist are surmountable.

The only really meaningful difference, IMO, is whether or not you're excited to play the guitar. Also IMHO, there's no real way to predict that, and it very rarely makes sense.

I’m not sure that popularity of an artist’s songs has a correlation with the quality or set up of their original guitar.

Totally fair. But....if it was a crap guitar when he was recording....idk. Maybe he just didn't care?

My word, I can't imagine a Les Paul Standard being so cheap that you'd buy it because it was the only thing you could afford. Wild.

That makes sense. I'm in my early thirties. I really have no perspective of what it was like before mass production made guitars cheap.

I have personal knowledge of the original too. I know the guy who actually got it from Gary and one of the (many) repair people who worked on it when Gary had it.

Thing to remember - it’s a very different guitar from when Peter Green owned it, headstock had been broken at least twice, numerous refrets, pickups in and out etc. (I know more but not for public).

Gary was notoriously impatient and also tight. (English saying meaning didn’t like spending money) so any repair work was done for the lowest price in the quickest time.

I’ve played a lot of old Les Pauls, but never this one. The two people I know that have echo the sentiments on here, an utter disappointment.

And I agree - the Murphy Labs are stunning.

The $3k guitar is pointless. Just flip a magnet on a 50's standard and swap two knobs and the tuners. And yes I've played all three and the original.
Best value would be a Murphy R9 heavy relic and mod it (saves $10/40K.) Or better still don't.

The reason I say this is this is what these instruments actually are. The $3k is jut a standard in the right finish with 4 conductor pickups to do the out of phase. It is not in any way a higher spec instrument than the 50s standard . The same is true for the high end ones, these are Murphy Lab selected and painted standard R9s. All you get for the extra money is the limited edition status and certificate costing $1/10/40K respectively.
A trip to a store with a bunch of standards/R9s is the way to go and select your own. Unless you are a collector and want the particular edition.
A friend of mine who used to live in Tucson took an R9 he had which had similar grain patterns and painstakingly duplicated the Greenie LP nick and scratch for nick and scratch years ago. Some guy in England bought it, and showed it to Peter Green, who commented that it wasn't in that bad shape when he sold it....

Wasn't the original a magnet flip? Isn't that somehow different? I honestly don't know. But, why does it need 4-conductors just to do a polarity flip? Am I missing something about what it does?
Magnet was flipped and the pickup itself was rotated 180° to put the slugs coil under the 24th fret harmonic. Just flipping the magnet alone makes zero difference compared to flipping the polarity with a switch.

The slugs coils supposedly has a more efficient magnetic circuit than the screws coil, probably due to the slugs being a bit thicker than the screws and bumping its inductance up a bit.

The screws coil is adjustable, though, and with the combination of raising the pole pieces and backing off the pickup, the coils can be balanced or even out of balance in the screws coil's favor.

Most of the mojo that puts the Greenie set-up over the regular out-of-phase via wiring change is, IMHO, the slugs coil being closer to the neck, as it puts the slightly more sensitive coil there instead of about where the 26th/27th fret would be.

Magnetic attraction follows the inverse square law, so when distances are relatively small, relatively small changes in distance make fairly big changes in the result....

Back
Top Bottom