Any AxeFx/rig routing Masters, advise needed-rig rebuild.

Billbill

Power User
Hey all hope you’re all doing/sounding great!
I’m redoing my rig and need some advice on what I will need and if this is even possible. I’m still reading up when I can and trying to learn about the AxeFx.
Current rig is this: simple, I run guitar into a boss cs3>few different fuzz pedals>AxeFxIIXL+ front input>AxeFx out1L/R>matrixGt1000fx L/R>two212 cabs, respectively. Goals are:
1) I want to put all my pedals into rack drawers so the floor is just my old MFC101 and a exp pedal.
2) I want to be able to kick in certain pedals at any given time via the FXL block on MFC (?) all or none so may need a different midi control??
3) I currently like the way some patches sound running the fuzz pedals into them so if I route the pedals through outp2 and stick an FXL block at front of the patch does doing it that way affect the tone vs how it’s currently setup?
Getting slightly more complicated:
I have a rack mount tube power amp and would like to switch on the fly between that and the AxeFx/Matrix setup but through the same two L/R Orange PPC 212 cabs I have.
All experienced advise with this is greatly appreciated, and feel free to pick this apart. I hope the idea was clear. Need to know before I start buying s**t lol.
Bill

Attachments

• 24E2D835-EDB6-43B9-883F-F31930FD0124.jpeg
    24E2D835-EDB6-43B9-883F-F31930FD0124.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 35
Controlling of your pedals in the rack is going to have to be done by a dedicated switcher; there’s nothing in the Axe Fx to facilitate random switching of individual external pedals. You can, of course, turn the selected pedals on/off en masse by putting them into a loop in the patch.

Similarly, to switch between two amps on the power side (the only way to send either signal to one set of cabs that I know) will take an amp switcher. I think that switcher can be controlled from the Axe Fx, but it can’t handle the powered load itself, not to mention keeping a load on the off side power amp.

It looks like a complicated and expensive system, something akin to the big Bradshaw refrigerator rack days. It can be done, but it isn’t at all a simple undertaking.

Controlling of your pedals in the rack is going to have to be done by a dedicated switcher; there’s nothing in the Axe Fx to facilitate random switching of individual external pedals. You can, of course, turn the selected pedals on/off en masse by putting them into a loop in the patch.

Similarly, to switch between two amps on the power side (the only way to send either signal to one set of cabs that I know) will take an amp switcher. I think that switcher can be controlled from the Axe Fx, but it can’t handle the powered load itself, not to mention keeping a load on the off side power amp.

It looks like a complicated and expensive system, something akin to the big Bradshaw refrigerator rack days. It can be done, but it isn’t at all a simple undertaking.
Yeah it’s basically two rigs in one with the AxeFx, Tube Poweramp, pedals, and floor controller with the idea to switch between all via 1 controller and also control pedals at any given moment with either rig. Gonna take some time I suppose. Thanks for your input.

Yeah it’s basically two rigs in one with the AxeFx, Tube Poweramp, pedals, and floor controller with the idea to switch between all via 1 controller and also control pedals at any given moment with either rig. Gonna take some time I suppose. Thanks for your input.
It’s a pretty involved setup, with potential to do actual damage to your amps if not set up right, so you’re smart to take your time sorting it all. This is the type setup some companies specialize in, as the components vary so much from one player to the next. Maybe viewing some of those rig rundowns might give some insight. Sorry I don’t know more about it!

I'd look into a MIDI foot controller like the RJM mastermind. You should be able to use any midi loop switcher along with controlling an axe fx. Switching amp heads is tricky, you'll likely need a dedicated load box.

I'd look into a MIDI foot controller like the RJM mastermind. You should be able to use any midi loop switcher along with controlling an axe fx. Switching amp heads is tricky, you'll likely need a dedicated load box.
Hmm interesting. Yeah merging the “digital” and analog worlds into one is going to require some in depth research. Maybe I’ll try and contact Mr. Bradshaw with a schematic of the idea

Something like the Voodoo Lab GCX loop switcher would be useful in this case.
That's what I use. The GCX is built like a tank and controlling them is very simple. I use the RJM Mastermind LT to manually select loops in the GCX and presets & scenes in the Axe-Fx. I also use a Yahama MD-BT01Bluetooth adapter to automate loop, preset and scenes selection with Bandhelper.

Here's a pic. of the GCX worksheet and my home made rack, with two pull out drawers for pedals. The Axe-Fx II is in a Tolex case now, but still plugged into the same spot in the chain and I sold the A3. I now use the A3 loop (loop 6) as an amp. switcher to select between my AC4C1 or AC30CC2.

1680879451733.png

1680878975206.png

1680879183989.png

Attachments

• 1680879430237.png
    1680879430237.png
    676.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
That's what I use. The GCX is built like a tank and controlling them is very simple. I use the RJM Mastermind LT to manually select loops in the GCX and presets & scenes in the Axe-Fx. I also use a Yahama MD-BT01Bluetooth adapter to automate loop, preset and scenes selection with Bandhelper.

Here's a pic. of the GCX worksheet and my home made rack, with two pull out drawers for pedals. The Axe-Fx II is in a Tolex case now, but still plugged into the same spot in the chain and I sold the A3. I now use the A3 loop (loop 6) as an amp. switcher to select between my AC4C1 or AC30CC2.

View attachment 118996

View attachment 118993

View attachment 118994
Wow nice setup man!!! So u use that floor switcher to control the AxeFx and a separate switcher for the pedals? That’s what I’m actually trying to figure out how to do.

Wow nice setup man!!! So u use that floor switcher to control the AxeFx and a separate switcher for the pedals? That’s what I’m actually trying to figure out how to do.
The GCX is a midi controllable loop switcher. I used to use them in my pre-Fractal days with all my pedals on a rack tray.

Rockman also makes something similar.

Great info! So to sum it up sharing 6 pedals between two rigs, AxeFx/matrix/two 212 cabs, tube poweramp with pedals in between, that poweramp still needs to use the same two 212 cabs. To simplify things I think I’ll keep the MFC101 and run a switcher on the board that’s capable of switching from the 6 pedals into AxeFx rig and at the stomp of a switch run them same 6 pedals into the tube poweramp and the two 212 cabs. If someone can draw up a schematic for this, if you have a Patreon I will gladly make some donations.

View attachment 118996

View attachment 118993

View attachment 118994
Do you have a separate amp from the AxeFx?

Ok I’m back lol. Updated with drawings. Here’s the idea I’m trying to accomplish. AxeFx in stereo to a stereo matrix poweramp then into a left cab and a right cab, switch from the AxeFx/matrix rig to a fryette stereo poweramp at the click of a switch but using the same two cabs left and right. Most switchers I have been checking out can’t take in two channels from a stereo poweramp nor split out to the two separate L/R cabs while playing through either poweramp! Anything I should be checking out??

Attachments

• 388341B8-EBEA-4905-A29B-93155E6CAB1B.jpeg
    388341B8-EBEA-4905-A29B-93155E6CAB1B.jpeg
    91.3 KB · Views: 7
  • E0927D2A-9509-47A1-A91F-955101A80F87.jpeg
    E0927D2A-9509-47A1-A91F-955101A80F87.jpeg
    120.6 KB · Views: 7
Back
Top Bottom