FM9 Firmware Version 4.01 public beta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread could go in all sorts of directions, but just like with chips, there are limits. ;)

Not according to Gordy Moore (Moore's Law)! I met him a few times. He was retired when I was there but he used to come back for shindigs and tour the building in Santa Clara from time to time - seemed like a very smart and very nice guy (RIP).
Thatafact? By limit I meant the reasonable boundaries of the topic

This thread could go in all sorts of directions, but just like with chips, there are limits. ;)

Thatafact? By limit I meant the reasonable boundaries of the topic

Really? I had no idea that is what you meant. I guess I have been schooled by the Alpha of this Beta thread.

But you are right I have been reading many threads in this forum since I joined a few days ago and I haven't seen any off topic posts of either an informative or humorous nature. My bad!

</sarcasm>

Last edited:
Really? I had no idea that is what you meant. I guess I have been schooled by the Alpha of this Beta thread.

But you are right I have been reading many threads in this forum since I joined a few days ago and I haven't seen any off topic posts of either an informative or humorous nature. My bad!

</sarcasm>
You responded to me, and my comment was in reference to the Intel comment by someone else which I interpreted as at best off-topic, but probably worse ;)

I'm no alpha here, but I've been around long enough to know about this fantastic and often humorous spot in the Forum:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/forums/the-lounge.41/

You responded to me, and my comment was in reference to the Intel comment by someone else which I interpreted as at best off-topic, but probably worse ;)

I'm no alpha here, but I've been around long enough to know about this fantastic and often humorous spot in the Forum:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/forums/the-lounge.41/
My Gordy Moore response was just meant to be a humorous response to your humorous (while also admonishing) response about chip limits. Your Thatafact reply was a lil bit passive aggressive - or at least I took it that way.

But all sarcasm and kidding aside your point is valid - we did take this thread into the weeds a bit!

My Gordy Moore response was just meant to be a humorous response to your humorous (while also admonishing) response about chip limits. Your Thatafact reply was a lil bit passive aggressive - or at least I took it that way.

But all sarcasm and kidding aside your point is valid - we did take this thread into the weeds a bit!
Purely intentional I assure you, but only because of his reference to the Chips act. In any other context, no way I would have hit you on the Gordy comment :)

I’m experiencing frequent USB audio failures with this firmware.

Every hour to every few hours, USB audio just stops unless I disconnect and reconnect the USB cable.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

I only use that for practice, not gigs, so it’s not a dealbreaker for me, but unexpected behavior nonetheless.

Purely intentional I assure you, but only because of his reference to the Chips act. In any other context, no way I would have hit you on the Gordy comment :)
While I agree that my original comment was (intentionally) off-topic, it was intended to humorously illustrate that references to “working at Intel” are not as impressive as they were 20 years ago. :)

Not understanding the sensitivity to the Chips Act, specifically? In my view, TSMC got some money for being successful, Intel not so much.

I’m experiencing frequent USB audio failures with this firmware.

Every hour to every few hours, USB audio just stops unless I disconnect and reconnect the USB cable.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

I only use that for practice, not gigs, so it’s not a dealbreaker for me, but unexpected behavior nonetheless.
Are you on Windows? If so this happens a lot with Windows power management. Make sure you turn off power management for USB and see if it goes away. Not sure why it would crop up now if you weren't experiencing this before installing the beta. But I would disable power management for USB just to rule it out.

While I agree that my original comment was (intentionally) off-topic, it was intended to humorously illustrate that references to “working at Intel” are not as impressive as they were 20 years ago. :)

Not understanding the sensitivity to the Chips Act, specifically? In my view, TSMC got some money for being successful, Intel not so much.

I see so you felt the need to point that out why? I wasn't try to impress anyone just adding some context about how we solved the parallel DSP thang-a-ma-jigger (that's a technical term) at Intel long time ago.

But good job you cut me down to size. My self esteem has been eviscerated and now I must hang my head in shame and regret my career and life choices. As should anyone that worked at Microsoft, General Electric and Google.

Oh wait I worked at all those companies too and retired at 49 years old. Ok so wait ... maybe now I am trying to impress you. But just you Musiclover. Everyone else should continue to consider me a glorified blowhard that has no idea WTF flies out his keystrokes.
:p

Guess we are still taking this thread off-road.

Things were getting boring on this thread. Lighten up. We’re all just tapping our fingers waiting for the firmware to drop. :)
No heat intended - just sayin' you admitted to making the dig - it honestly did not upset me in the slightest. But you are still very wrong about TSMC and Intel.

Let me educate you son:
Intel still has the largest marketshare of the CPU space right now. TSMC is a contract chipmaker - meaning they manufacture chips for other companies - they do not design or engineer them.

Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing (TSM 3.09%) and Intel (INTC 4.25%) are bellwethers of the semiconductor market. TSMC is the world’s largest contract chipmaker, while Intel is the leading producer of CPUs for computers and servers.

Why did TSMC beat Intel? Number one, TSMC’s 10-nanometer definition is more similar to Intel’s 14-nanometer dimension (known as the design rule). TSMC will usually wait until Intel adapts, until doing it on the next next generation. Number two, not only the design rule, TSMC was also backward in transistor efficiency. TSMC is always behind Intel’s transistor efficiency.

Meaning they haven't beaten Intel at all. Now if you had said AMD - I would have agreed with you. As I said all my machines (with the exception of my laptop) are AMD Ryzens now. Why? They cost less and go faster.

I promise this will be my last off-topic post in this thread. We have abused it enough!

I want to try this firmware but have gigs coming up. do you think there will be that much of change to the official release..prob not huh?

I want to try this firmware but have gigs coming up. do you think there will be that much of change to the official release..prob not huh?
I have been using it since it dropped. I have not had a single issue. Some people in this thread have posted different issues they experienced with USB. Everyone is hoping dyna-cabs will make it in before full release. I guessed that would involve another beta - but honestly I have nothing to base that on.

All you have to do is look at the massive number of recent layoffs to know that it’s a good time to not be a software developer.
True. My son got hit, and he had a position that I would've killed for back in the day. I'm retired, but I hope he isn't :disappointed:

Here's to hoping a Beta 3 with Dyna-Cabs tomorrow...

randy savage GIF

Buy a Tonex pedal and use 4cm 😅
I have tested it and they works perfectly togheter…
do you find the pedal noisy. I'm still stuggling with the tonex in the loop with respect to noise gate threshold and release.

True. My son got hit, and he had a position that I would've killed for back in the day. I'm retired, but I hope he isn't :disappointed:
I’m retired as well. Sounds like we both rode the wave, so no complaints. I don’t know if the software industry will ever rebuild here in San Francisco to the level that it was.

Hey Doug, I really enjoyed the video you posted of the Dyna-Cab stuff working on Axe-Edit. Looks and sounds terrific!

Are you on Windows? If so this happens a lot with Windows power management. Make sure you turn off power management for USB and see if it goes away. Not sure why it would crop up now if you weren't experiencing this before installing the beta. But I would disable power management for USB just to rule it out.
Yes, I'm on Windows 11 when this problem happens.

Do you mean "USB Selective Suspend" or is there a setting that prohibits a more general USB power savings?

Yes, I'm on Windows 11 when this problem happens.

Do you mean "USB Selective Suspend" or is there a setting that prohibits a more general USB power savings?
I would turn off "USB Selective Suspend" and "USB Battery Saver".
There are instructions for "USB Battery Saver" here:
https://www.elevenforum.com/t/turn-on-or-off-usb-battery-saver-in-windows-11.7745/

I used to have similar issues with my USB Midi Commander (footswitch midi controller). It happened to me a couple of times at a gig. Once I changed those settings the problem went away. I hope this fixes your issue too!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom