Fractal user reviews TONEX Pedal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I got it. I was just having a "blonde moment". :p Saw the term "Fractal Camp survivors" and immediately thought of some training program or course. Ha, ha!

Still, wouldn't be bad idea. Cooper could have Cooper's Fractal Camp and then Cooper's Fractal Master Camp for the survivors! :p
Sylvester Stallone Rambo GIF by IFC

It’s just a term some of us have given to the people that have some pretty bizarre hatred for FAS or Cliff. There is no real camp, but somewhere along the way in these people’s lives, they had a bad experience (and more often than not, like @Rock Chalk said, it’s self-imposed). Perfect example was the guy who came here last year and was mad about the big mod wheel not scrolling through presets from the home screen the way he thought it should. He couldn’t let it go that he was just using the wheel the wrong way, so he sold his unit and now bashes Fractal every chance he gets on every forum he’s on like he gets paid to do so. Prime example of a Fractal Camp Survivor.

They all have their stories and very much need them to be heard by anyone willing to listen. The unfortunate thing is, you mix these guys up with the guys who came here for legit advice and received a more condescending reply and don’t come back again, those two groups of people have no problem explaining their experiences here and it doesn’t bode well for the community overall. This place takes a lot of heat on the majority of forums I post on, some grounded in reality and some only in the mind’s of the Survivors.

I guess we have our own Elon Musk. :)

My ToneX pedal arrived - looks like there's something to this neural net modeling :)

I'm pretty impressed by the result I got (downloaded user capture) - built-in presets/captures are not that great though. I can totally see myself using this as an addition to the amp block (but I'll be at the mercy of user captures here).

I gotta try this NAM software plugin thing now - looks like in the next few years bad quality modeling (like COSM) will be a thing of the past.

I've been priming my singer/rhythm player to replace his Egnater tube amp with something like the ToneX pedal.

So, the ToneX does come with amp models, but you think they are not great? I listened to one of the YT movies just cycling through about 10 amps, and most of it sounded decent.

If you could elaborate a bit more on your experience, that would be awesome! Thanks!

I've been priming my singer/rhythm player to replace his Egnater tube amp with something like the ToneX pedal.

So, the ToneX does come with amp models, but you think they are not great? I listened to one of the YT movies just cycling through about 10 amps, and most of it sounded decent.

If you could elaborate a bit more on your experience, that would be awesome! Thanks!
I just tried a few of the high gain ones, they seem a bit too dark and muffled. That was just initial impressions. I tried a couple right now and lowering the gain helped a bunch on those - they are definitely decent. I think the default input levels in this thing may need adjusting, we'll see.. I need to play a bit more with the software and the pedal.

Here's what impressed me on both the Axe-Fx III and the ToneX pedal:

So I watched this video:

And downloaded his capture and used the same IR - really good capture. Sounds great.
Since I could see the settings of the Amp in the video and its an amp only capture, I thought let's see if I can visually match this with the Axe-Fx III amp block set to Brit 800.

I ended up needing to set Input Trim to 3 or so in the amp block (umm this is about 10dB, I wonder if there's a ToneX setting I should lower) and also selected Speaker Imp. Curve as Resistive Load and disabled all the speaker drive/compliance/compression and sepaker thump (this makes sense, I guess the load used for the capture is just a simple resistive load) - after that... pretty much in the same ballpark just from visual settings

I think that speaks well for both paradigms, check it out:

After having spent some time with my $299 Tonex pedal, and being a long time FAS user, I have a few thoughts

The pedal looks cool with the glowing amber color coming out from the side “vents”/holes but the switches feel cheap, not relays and it could stand to have a better display to convey more information, likewise, could use more dedicated knobs.

Noise gate is crap, reverb is okay but basic, no huge ambient reverbs etc. Comp too isn’t anything to write home about. FAS blows this stuff away. I can’t see ever using any of it really.

Most factory settings, kind of crappy. Sounded like a bad modeler, like NI guitar rig….

But….. when you load in some “good” captures, it actually sounds darn good overall. Much easier to tweak the VIR cabs, though of course your more limited. Can certainly add any 3rd party IR too, but the interface is slick, much like Two Notes. Not exactly Axe3 level tweaking and blending but can quickly dial in what your looking for.

Clean sounds good, but most anything can do good cleans three days, nice edge of breakup too, dynamic to an extent, but you kind of need a edge of breakup capture I guess, not going to take a totally clean amp and crank it and have it sound or respond like you can with a model. Models are more flexible but if you have say 3 captures at different extremes you can cover the same ground, just different ways of going about it.

Best part of the unit for me is the really heavy tones, “will it chug?” YES. You can get some perfect mix ready sounds out of the thing just by downloading an amp plus cab capture, probably with something like a 808 in front. Just some brutal cranked high gain amp tones possible.

I wouldn’t go as far as to say better than FAS, but would say easier as some of them are turn key, Axe takes more tweaking but can get there if you find the right IR etc.

Axe has better edge of breakup though for sure and as it has way, way better effects, overall tone can sound better and more polished, experimental etc.

For $399, or $299 in my case, I’m pretty impressed. Don’t think of it as a full rig in a box, you’ll want external pedals still for sure. It’s an amp/cab box with a few effects but can’t really say I’d use any of them.

It basically delivers on what the KPA did for like 1/7th the price.

You can capture a specific studio tone and take it with you in a little box and it sounds really really similar. Again could tweak the Axe to do the same thing but you’d be trying different amp models and lots of IR’s etc. Maybe if M flies out and helps you’d nail it, lol, but the ToneX makes it pretty easy.

Run Tonex in the loop so you have some high quality FAS effects and you’ve basically got the best modeling and capture/profiling options all together.

They are not competition in my opinion, do different things and both do their respective jobs very very well.

I’m not messing around with clean captures, Band Commander model is so so good. But, for high gain stuff, I probably am getting away from the 5150, Engl, VH4 and similar models and just using a capture. It’s easier and it sounds as good if not better to my ears.

All and all, man…. It’s amazing how good we have it these days. Even stuff like the fm3 are priced to give amazing tones to most peoples budgets who can’t drop over $2k on a III and now we are seeing stuff like the Tonex at $399 or less.

So check it out, it’s pretty cool, it doesn’t need to replace anything else, but awesome bang for the buck to patch into the loop and blow the FM3 wide open with some new tones

Serious question: What amp sound is missing from the Axe, so one needs extra amps via the tonex?
On the side, it would be interesting for someone to compare the tonex to the tone matching function of the Axe. I know it is super clanky in comparison to tonex or qc but i m curious about it
If you have an amp at home that you want to copy. I have tonex and copied a few of my real amps. I can't tell the difference it's that good. IMO it's not a replacement for my Fractal unit, just something I throw in the loop. As earlier stated, some of the high gain user captures are plug and play - no tweaking at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Run Tonex in the loop so you have some high quality FAS effects and you’ve basically got the best modeling and capture/profiling options all together.

Just got the new FM3 today and was waiting to put this board together. I've hardly used it yet besides getting it set up, but the latency total is 6ms, and I can now switch seamlessly between the fractal models and the tonex captures via midi. Lots of things to explore and I have a lot of amps here I really like that aren't in the FM, plus a lot of bass stuff. So I think this will make the best combination I can think of. This is what I'd hoped the QC would be, but wasn't quite. And still smaller than the fm9!

The ToneX has a lot of noise, but clever gating and proper level settings for the FM3 outputs/inputs gets it into a usable spot. I gate the return from the tonex pedal with the sidchain input from input 1 and that pretty well settles it.
They amps can be blended, but not without adding a few ms of delay to try and get the signals in phase. Haven't tried a lot but probably not really worth trying to run two amps in parallel that way. Have a little more re-cabling to do and I keep that bass pedal because it's my favorite and just an added external bonus because dial it in differently a lot. Turns out the BB1X is actually a good boost pedal too...

MmjJSRPeiE7PxxHa7_wFmk1Clk8QUco37fk22c1k8rMCoETj4bT0Bqa6WQozXa--7NoIy__ci_thsc2oezJrqdW70R0jNv5e14qNRJ1wSNI5UAYl7D4QhXh7nV_FKW9qsD1cj2A2AWWcoMLS2l-JrksomH5Muh02Uw7KRw9vLUkOKMdIYH0Lc1TjBSTb5uhUSfRWGT9Fo0nSrB9KEvBHS3NryjZHLOiB8xemO1kDfbQTzxftwpkF3X71x_UznremKgWGvS-p0h2ffH-T5gfliGS6G3HqGsh6ta8rWsgisqvBtceTq1Y-VLseubtLuwkNKtmydK_a2qUY3QfnRfVScjHSRdeK3u51jwCAVqOqRPRJnzbB77PPP4ksYmOzVe00LY0-K66VAPikMggLK-0aKVCP2aeu24u_BS9yZdk4B7MdS9G4JOme0qhUZPQ1MFVcq2EJYKlCcnPMm1OGpW8H3xssOjMhWeUus32ddpfuFjjeSj8LMwl8043Anr2So5EgaeUxMDCMyCluDOpMgYbG3CaxFxgc7b1Ef-GTrthLyE9EwJNS2Vc1rD0DpN0VeCPYEhv_3gtJBNI2WMXnEA_74TrmtXFq_NC22In_2SIhHzdw7IJ3WXLBSuVm2f4mRyq9dOyIoysvX0fP_mBZEdOoyTrge_M3QwVO46zyWh4RSMAVCbaWegvKk0uyTDHzmR3BD7RL0GHZdayNEkkFhUqK4Myy91GNNh0N6zh0LwIUqIVSJ9f_qxATyFGXE_TrJB_sbqF3Z8xNESMKYF8pDx_tU7og1hbgGfrFDv3r3E80mDC_7H7a2lhs8j3V8YMy2Hu1EwlMAMwH9aILujCbthDZu-M81g7pU86Pi573zi6dGgsG8gH7DyP1RietzBblsYFS5LKo4oe-8W2EAL6h5gILvDJ8IibDeAExJfVIEr6dAHCHjA=w3096-h2322-s-no

Last edited:
Just got the new FM3 today and was waiting to put this board together. I've hardly used it yet besides getting it set up, but the latency total is 6ms, and I can now switch seamlessly between the fractal models and the tonex captures via midi. Lots of things to explore and I have a lot of amps here I really like that aren't in the FM, plus a lot of bass stuff. So I think this will make the best combination I can think of. This is what I'd hoped the QC would be, but wasn't quite. And still smaller than the fm9!

The ToneX has a lot of noise, but clever gating and proper level settings for the FM3 outputs/inputs gets it into a usable spot. I gate the return from the tonex pedal with the sidchain input from input 1 and that pretty well settles it.
They amps can be blended, but not without adding a few ms of delay to try and get the signals in phase. Haven't tried a lot but probably not really worth trying to run two amps in parallel that way. Have a little more re-cabling to do and I keep that bass pedal because it's my favorite and just an added external bonus because dial it in differently a lot. Turns out the BB1X is actually a good boost pedal too...

MmjJSRPeiE7PxxHa7_wFmk1Clk8QUco37fk22c1k8rMCoETj4bT0Bqa6WQozXa--7NoIy__ci_thsc2oezJrqdW70R0jNv5e14qNRJ1wSNI5UAYl7D4QhXh7nV_FKW9qsD1cj2A2AWWcoMLS2l-JrksomH5Muh02Uw7KRw9vLUkOKMdIYH0Lc1TjBSTb5uhUSfRWGT9Fo0nSrB9KEvBHS3NryjZHLOiB8xemO1kDfbQTzxftwpkF3X71x_UznremKgWGvS-p0h2ffH-T5gfliGS6G3HqGsh6ta8rWsgisqvBtceTq1Y-VLseubtLuwkNKtmydK_a2qUY3QfnRfVScjHSRdeK3u51jwCAVqOqRPRJnzbB77PPP4ksYmOzVe00LY0-K66VAPikMggLK-0aKVCP2aeu24u_BS9yZdk4B7MdS9G4JOme0qhUZPQ1MFVcq2EJYKlCcnPMm1OGpW8H3xssOjMhWeUus32ddpfuFjjeSj8LMwl8043Anr2So5EgaeUxMDCMyCluDOpMgYbG3CaxFxgc7b1Ef-GTrthLyE9EwJNS2Vc1rD0DpN0VeCPYEhv_3gtJBNI2WMXnEA_74TrmtXFq_NC22In_2SIhHzdw7IJ3WXLBSuVm2f4mRyq9dOyIoysvX0fP_mBZEdOoyTrge_M3QwVO46zyWh4RSMAVCbaWegvKk0uyTDHzmR3BD7RL0GHZdayNEkkFhUqK4Myy91GNNh0N6zh0LwIUqIVSJ9f_qxATyFGXE_TrJB_sbqF3Z8xNESMKYF8pDx_tU7og1hbgGfrFDv3r3E80mDC_7H7a2lhs8j3V8YMy2Hu1EwlMAMwH9aILujCbthDZu-M81g7pU86Pi573zi6dGgsG8gH7DyP1RietzBblsYFS5LKo4oe-8W2EAL6h5gILvDJ8IibDeAExJfVIEr6dAHCHjA=w3096-h2322-s-no
Hey, nice to see.
I'm not sure what you meant by this "I gate the return from the tonex pedal with the sidchain input from input 1 and that pretty well settles it."
Can I see how you did it? I do have lots of noise and I'm trying to figure the best way. Right now, I've put the pedal in a loop. Into the FM, Pre effects-> tonex-> Post effects. I'm going out via OUT3 to the input of the pedal (with humbuster) then back from the pedal to INPUT3. Some of the high gain models are difficult to tame the noise. Thanks.

Hey, nice to see.
I'm not sure what you meant by this "I gate the return from the tonex pedal with the sidchain input from input 1 and that pretty well settles it."
Can I see how you did it? I do have lots of noise and I'm trying to figure the best way. Right now, I've put the pedal in a loop. Into the FM, Pre effects-> tonex-> Post effects. I'm going out via OUT3 to the input of the pedal (with humbuster) then back from the pedal to INPUT3. Some of the high gain models are difficult to tame the noise. Thanks.

1. Pull the gate on tonex up to like -70 db
2. Maku sure on you send you're getting the right headroom via padding and level so not clip and get least noise floor
3. Same for return, headroom/level
4. Put a gate block after your return set to modern gate and use the sidechan from input on on that block. That should mute the return when the input of guitar is silent (like ns2 or Fortin zuul)

I can post a pic tomorrow. Gain staging is important

1. Pull the gate on tonex up to like -70 db
2. Maku sure on you send you're getting the right headroom via padding and level so not clip and get least noise floor
3. Same for return, headroom/level
4. Put a gate block after your return set to modern gate and use the sidechan from input on on that block. That should mute the return when the input of guitar is silent (like ns2 or Fortin zuul)

I can post a pic tomorrow. Gain staging is important
thanks very much. I'll give this a try tomorrow when I can blast it.

If you have an amp at home that you want to copy. I have tonex and copied a few of my real amps. I can't tell the difference it's that good. IMO it's not a replacement for my Fractal unit, just something I throw in the loop. As earlier stated, some of the high gain user captures are plug and play - no tweaking at all.
Agreed, for people with real amps makes sense. But I m sure you could achieve similar if not identical results with the Axe, Helix, QC, etc.

Forgot to add one important point thing which is true with the KPA or the Tonex. There is A LOT of bad captures for every good one.

With Fractal every model is good, accurate. Subjective what one might prefer but anything can be made to sound good with a few tweaks

Some captures are just bad sounding, likely new user didn’t do it right, and nice to share it, but sorry, it’s no good lol. The good stuff though, just like shooting a good IR takes a bit of effort but when done, it sounds darn good.

Thing is, this Tonex stuff is blowing up, cool product, great price, so you go onto their exchange, tonenet, and there are already thousands of captures uploaded. So you may need to try a few to find a good one, or learn to capture your own

I have a hard time trusting any reviews - they ALL sound awesome. And they did with the Helix, Axe-FX II, etc. Then when I try out something like the Helix it sucked. Same with some plugins that were supposed to be amazeballs. Don't buy into the hype until you have it in front of you and try it yourself and don't be afraid to send it right back if it sucks. Which is what I did with the Helix.

I have a hard time trusting any reviews - they ALL sound awesome. And they did with the Helix, Axe-FX II, etc. Then when I try out something like the Helix it sucked. Same with some plugins that were supposed to be amazeballs. Don't buy into the hype until you have it in front of you and try it yourself and don't be afraid to send it right back if it sucks. Which is what I did with the Helix.
Sorry not trying to bash the Helix specifically, but it was the only one I bought and returned. Unfortunately I'm stuck with some of the amp sims. Even my FM3 was work to get to sound good (for me). But then again I fiddled with my EVH 5150 III 50 watt for years. Maybe I just don't know what I want...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom