Typical Time Between Major Revisions

Good morning everyone. I am new to the forum and to Fractal hardware. I am currently a Headrush Pedalboard user. The Headrush’s models sound good and the functionality of the board is adequate, however, the reliability and manufacturing quality makes the unit unusable. So, I am on the hunt for a replacement unit.

Many of you appear to be long-term Fractal customers who may be able to answer a question for me. How long is it between major releases of the flagship unit? The current unit was released a few years ago with a processor upgrade recently. I am considering the purchase of this unit but would like to wait if a new model release is imminent. My Headrush unit is still fully functional but I just don’t trust it…so I could hold out for a while longer if necessary.

I would appreciate any insight any one has to offer. Thanks!

Last edited:
The key here, are the almost constant improvements in modeling, features, and functionality. The products are clearly designed with long term capacity for on-going enhancements. As you’ve heard, we wouldn’t know about major new-model changes. However, the extraordinary commitment to the aforementioned enhancements, and personal attention to detail have all of us completely onboard and committed.

If it helps, I bought the previous flagship just prior to Fractal releasing the Axe FX III. As soon as possible, I eagerly bought the III. You’ve read my words above. This outfit is really that good.

I won't buy the ~1st year of any new version of a product, so if I were in your position, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Fractal product. And the quality of the sounds are simply amazing enough for me to never upgrade anyway. It would have to be a bunch of killer revisions to the workflow and the like, to make me want to upgrade. And I wouldn't be surprised if that's where the team plan to go. So short answer: Buy one! Buy it now! You'll wish you'd done it sooner.

I was also using a Headrush. The USB failed while it was under warranty, and the updates are few and far between. I just got my FX3 about two weeks ago and couldn't be happier. Do yourself a favor and upgrade, you won't regret it.

I was also using a Headrush. The USB failed while it was under warranty, and the updates are few and far between. I just got my FX3 about two weeks ago and couldn't be happier. Do yourself a favor and upgrade, you won't regret it.
The Headrush Pedalboard actually sounds very good, as you stated, the hardware mechanical and electrical design and manufacture leaves a lot to be desired. I have gone through two units, the first One was sent back because the power supply died due to static charge (the revision 1 boards were not sufficiently protected from simple static discharge), when I received the replacement unit, two of the foot switches did not function. I replaced them myself and then a few months later two more died…I replaced these too. The unit is just not ready for prime time use because of reliability issues.

I am looking at my giging rack to determine where I would install the FX3. Do you know how long a usb cable can be used to connect the FX3 to a computer and how long the cable used to connect the FC-12 to the FX3 can be without experiencing issues?

Last edited:
Tone wise I do not think you can expect a game changer improvement as the current devices sound virtually like (or better) than the real thing. Now if you prefer other workflow, hw format or I/O or user interface, you should decide whether it makes or not sense to wait for the new generation of devices.

Many of you appear to be long-term Fractal customers who may be able to answer a question for me. How long is it between major releases of the flagship unit? The current unit was released a few years ago with a processor upgrade recently. I am considering the purchase of this unit but would like to wait if a new model release is imminent.
At their core, modelers are computers, they’re highly specialized and designed to do one thing, but they’re still computers. Fractal designs them to be used for years by touring professionals and in studios, without failing.

Similar to general-purpose computers, they are improved by updating their firmware, which Fractal does many times throughout the year. The changes we’ve seen in one year have been pretty amazing, yet they still run on the first versions of the current generation’s hardware because Fractal insists on maintaining compatibility with the older units. That will remain until they finally release the next generation.

When will that be? We have absolutely no idea and it’s unrealistic to assume that they would tell us since Fractal is a small company in competition with some much bigger corporations. Secrecy makes a difference in their world.

What is important to remember is, whenever, eventually, when the next generation is announced, the current generation will not suddenly stop working, it will continue working just as well as the day before. The owners of previous generations of the hardware still tour and record with them. Their investment in the hardware is still good and if they choose to upgrade they can sell their gear easily.

Tone wise I do not think you can expect a game changer improvement as the current devices sound virtually like (or better) than the real thing. Now if you prefer other workflow, hw format or I/O or user interface, you should decide whether it makes or not sense to wait for the new generation of devices.
Thank you for your input. I have read the FX3 manual and the Ax Edit 3 manual and watched a number of YouTube videos which demonstrate the unit and the software. The current operating system and software editor software both look like they are relatively complicated, but also logically designed. So, I feel confident that I would become proficient in the use of both fairly quickly. However, if a new unit were to be released that reduced the complexity of the unit front panel operation that would be very welcome.

i will give your comments, along with all the comments everyone else provided here, more consideration as I continue my research. Thanks to everyone for all your great comments!

The Headrush Pedalboard actually sounds very good, as you stated, the hardwaremechanical and electrical design and manufacture leaves a lot to be desired. I have gone through two units, the first One was sent back because the power supply died due to static charge (the revision 1 boards were not sufficiently protected from simple static discharge), when I received the replacement unit, two of the foot switches did not function. I replaced them myself and then a few months later two more died…I replaced these too. The unit is just not ready for prime time use because of reliability issues.

I am looking at my giging rack to determine where I would install the FX3. Do you know how long a usb cable can be used to connect the FX3 to a computer and how long the cable used to connect the FC-12 to the FX3 can be without experiencing issues?
The spec for USB is 5 meters maximum, I believe.

The XLR cable for connecting the FC-12 should support at least 50 feet if not more.

The spec for USB is 5 meters maximum, I believe.

The XLR cable for connecting the FC-12 should support at least 50 feet if not more.
Thank you both! I would need to run the USB cable between 10 and 15 feet…the XLR cable about the same. So I believe I have somewhere in the studio where the gigging rack unit could be placed to allow the use of the FX-3 in the studio as well. Going from an all-in-one pedalboard to a rack mount unit plus separate floor board controller needs some logistics thought! lol

...Going from an all-in-one pedalboard to a rack mount unit plus separate floor board controller needs some logistics thought! lol
One of the things I love about gigging with the Axe-Fx III and FC-6 is that I only need to run a single, simple XLR cable to the front of the stage. All the power and audio cables are behind me on the backline. I can be completely set up and ready to rock in about a minute.

We have only 2 points of reference for "Typical Time Between Major Releases":

1: Standard/Ultra > II = 5y (06 > 11)

2: II > III = 7y (11 > 18)

So my specific answer to the specific question is 6 years - based on calculations using this limited data sample ( (5+7)/2=6 ) - I predict a new major Ax3 hw release will arrive some time in 2024.

Last edited:
We have only 2 points of reference for "Typical Time Between Major Releases":

1: Standard/Ultra > II = 5y (06 > 11)

2: II > III = 7y (11 > 18)

So my specific answer to the specific question is 6 years - based on calculations using this limited data sample ( (5+7)/2=6 ) - I predict a new major Ax3 hw release will arrive some time in 2024.
Yeah, but that doesnt account for chip shortages, delays from covid, etc. Im guessing 2025 earliest. I think an Axe3 mk3 is more likely.

Back
Top Bottom