Typical Time Between Major Revisions

I got the FM3, then the Af3 mkiiT, then the FM9T. They are all great units. You just have to make decisions with each to determine how to implement them to best fit your needs. All modelers have interfaces that need to be learned. Simpler isn't always better. Fractal seems intimidating, but if you want simple stick to the authentic page. If you want to deep dive, lose yourself in the limitless customizations you can make.
The FM3 is the weakest in CPU, but what it lacks in CPU it gains in space saving and portability. I found it great for rehearsals, where I was most concerned about fitting in a small practice space and getting simple good tone. Honestly, you really can't "hear" that much of a difference in tone between these units in the mix of a full band live anyway, even if I want to think I can.
The FM9T makes a big jump in CPU and features, while still saving on space and being portable. It is twice the size of the FM3, but its still small by my book. You can run dual amps, preventing summing to mono, which I can't seem to deal with. I ended up selling the FM3 to a band member for this reason. It doesn't bother him at all and he doesn't miss carrying the half stack 5150 III and pedal board around to boot. I don't regret selling it, but would've been fine with it. I digress. I do require a bank of presets to pull off all the sounds or features on the FM9T compared to the AF3 mkiiT. I will survive.
The Af3 closes the gap on power. I think it is still tiny compared to my old tube amp rig, but some will still complain. My original kitchen sink preset went past the limits of the CPU, so there is always room for growth. I made a few presets to spread it out and no problem. Meat and potatoes on one, vocoder on another, talk box on another, and so on. This thing kicks a**.
I am sure at some point they will come out with a IV or whatever may be next. I am counting on it, but I am doing great without it. Look at the comparision chart on the main website and really figure out what your "requirements" are. Choose wisely. They all can sound great, but as you can see, they solve different goals. I "needed" the vocoder for my dance band, so I knew I would get the Af3 at some point. I don't use that in every band. The FM9T does everything else I need for those situations. Good luck.

I got the FM3, then the Af3 mkiiT, then the FM9T. They are all great units. You just have to make decisions with each to determine how to implement them to best fit your needs. All modelers have interfaces that need to be learned. Simpler isn't always better. Fractal seems intimidating, but if you want simple stick to the authentic page. If you want to deep dive, lose yourself in the limitless customizations you can make.
The FM3 is the weakest in CPU, but what it lacks in CPU it gains in space saving and portability. I found it great for rehearsals, where I was most concerned about fitting in a small practice space and getting simple good tone. Honestly, you really can't "hear" that much of a difference in tone between these units in the mix of a full band live anyway, even if I want to think I can.
The FM9T makes a big jump in CPU and features, while still saving on space and being portable. It is twice the size of the FM3, but its still small by my book. You can run dual amps, preventing summing to mono, which I can't seem to deal with. I ended up selling the FM3 to a band member for this reason. It doesn't bother him at all and he doesn't miss carrying the half stack 5150 III and pedal board around to boot. I don't regret selling it, but would've been fine with it. I digress. I do require a bank of presets to pull off all the sounds or features on the FM9T compared to the AF3 mkiiT. I will survive.
The Af3 closes the gap on power. I think it is still tiny compared to my old tube amp rig, but some will still complain. My original kitchen sink preset went past the limits of the CPU, so there is always room for growth. I made a few presets to spread it out and no problem. Meat and potatoes on one, vocoder on another, talk box on another, and so on. This thing kicks a**.
I am sure at some point they will come out with a IV or whatever may be next. I am counting on it, but I am doing great without it. Look at the comparision chart on the main website and really figure out what your "requirements" are. Choose wisely. They all can sound great, but as you can see, they solve different goals. I "needed" the vocoder for my dance band, so I knew I would get the Af3 at some point. I don't use that in every band. The FM9T does everything else I need for those situations. Good luck.
Thank you for your great comments. After researching my options and seeking advice from people experienced in using Fractal units like yourself,I purchased an AF3 which arrived two days ago. It is everything everyone said it would be...what a powerhouse. I play live gigs and do studio work and wanted a unit that had the ability to serve both purposes and the AF3 is more than capable of doing so.

I have owned or used many of the amps and effects that the AF3 models over the 55 years I have been playing professionally…so I have a pretty good feel for what these units sound (and feel) like. I spent the day yesterday going through factory presets and tweaking them to ,y taste…the amp models provided with the AF3 do a remarkable job sounding and feeling like the real McCoys. The effect units emulated are stunning!

I realize the task of becoming proficient in the use of the full interface is going to take so,e time to master…but I see this as fun so no problem.

Again, thank you for your great comments! Have a wonderful day.

Back
Top Bottom