a Christmas gift the community: Perfected Tuning offsets

trueresource

Inspired
I discovered some time ago; open string tuning is not calibrated the same as harmonic 12th fret tuning on the Fractal Axe3. You will see a drastic difference in the Fx3 linear or strobe tuner when comparing open vs 12th fret harmonic. Also, when comparing my preferred, software tuner, "AiryWare" to FX3 tuning, neither open string or 12th fret harmonics matched my preferred AiryWare. For reference I use a modified James Taylor offset tuning on the AiryWare. The offsets are -12 -10 -8 -15 -6 -3 EADGBE.
THIS SET WORKS PERFECT IN EVERY KEY WITH MY BAND. On the Fx3 This James Taylor mod offset (MUST USE OPEN STRING ONLY) is calibrated as -13.95 -10.3 -9.65 -13.85 -5.4 -2.85 EADGBE (all negative). NEVER USE HARMONIC TUNING ON THE FX3. Harmonic tuning is A=880, where FX3 is A=440 more suitable for "open string".

Skeptical? Try the above offsets on your Fx3 and experience a perfected tuning experience. Please, comment back here to let us know your experience. This discovery changed my world. Merry Christmas

Last edited:
Hey thanks for sharing this.......i think I like it, but shouldn't the offset for the G string be -4 for the JT tuning?

I never heard about that my whole life. After minding “wtf are they talking about?” I ve done some research about this “sweetened tuning” and …

You cannot copy someone else “setting” because you don’t have the same guitar, strings, you don’t do the same pressure … the way the guitar is built this and that …

So I still don’t get it 😅

A guitar should be “harmonized” whatever tuner you are using. Ears are always the final step. I quite never used a tuner my whole life but just a note as a reference or…

The sure thing is that you can be perfectly in pitch with a tuner and sound off while playing, because of the instrument you are playing, how it is set, if it’s well build, and also the way you play . Some people for example put tons of pressure, specially when they begin

all of that is too much personal to be shared to someone else 🤔

Last edited:
I discovered some time ago; open string tuning is not calibrated the same as harmonic 12th fret tuning on the Fractal Axe3. You will see a drastic difference in the Fx3 linear or strobe tuner when comparing open vs 12th fret harmonic. Also, when comparing my preferred, software tuner, "AiryWare" to FX3 tuning, neither open string or 12th fret harmonics matched my preferred AiryWare. For reference I use a modified James Taylor offset tuning on the AiryWare. The offsets are -12 -10 -8 -15 -6 -3 EADGBE.
THIS SET WORKS PERFECT IN EVERY KEY WITH MY BAND. On the Fx3 This James Taylor mod offset (MUST USE OPEN STRING ONLY) is calibrated as -13.95 --10.3 -9.65 -13.85 -5.4 -2.85 EADGBE. NEVER USE HARMONIC TUNING ON THE FX3. Harmonic tuning is A=880, where FX3 is A=440 more suitable for "open string".

Skeptical? Try the above offsets on your Fx3 and experience a perfected tuning experience. Please, comment back here to let us know your experience. This discovery changed my world. Merry Christmas
Honestly, if your 12th fretted tuning is different from open, then it’s your guitar dude. Intonation and shit. Open string vs 1st Harmonic is alway in tune. Laws of physics dictate.
All other frets will be off though, either use true temperament fret system or sweetened tunings aka CCooper for work around.

Last edited:
I never heard about that my whole life. After minding “wtf are they talking about?” I ve done some research about this “sweetened tuning” and …

You cannot copy someone else “setting” because you don’t have the same guitar, strings, you don’t do the same pressure … the way the guitar is built this and that …

So I still don’t get it 😅

A guitar should be “harmonized” whatever tuner you are using. Ears are always the final step. I quite never used a tuner my whole life but just a note as a reference or…

The sure thing is that you can be perfectly in pitch with a tuner and sound off while playing, because of the instrument you are playing, how it is set, if it’s well build, and also the way you play . Some people for example put tons of pressure, specially when they begin

all of that is too much personal to be shared to someone else 🤔
Neither had I learned about this until viewing CC's video, then I researched JT's tuning (@trancegodz' post is the one). The offset tuning is designed to create more natural sounding chords when strummed or picked.

Apparently, the key is to use CC's settings with your FAS device in FM9-Edit, and then adjust ever-so-slightly to taste, based on your personal instrument. The reason for the small tweaks are because each and every guitar will tune differently, even by the slightest margin, it makes no difference what guitar you own.

It's late this evening, but I'll try to post a SS of my offsets in the morning so you can see my baseline settings for my PRS and Epiphone guitars. My acoustic PRS uses a StroboStomp with SBJ (Sweet Baby James) tuning exclusively as a separate tuner, because the offsets are different than the FM9's.

Do you need to adjust intonation when you do something like this? I’ve heard of it before, just never looked into it.

Do you need to adjust intonation when you do something like this? I’ve heard of it before, just never looked into it.
I never real heard of it before until Tom Weber mentioned it in his video. He mentions adjusting the intonation flat for Eddie.

Last edited:
I've looked at this one before, but what it is doing is dealing with this guitar, it's fixing this guitar's flaws by doing this… but applying those fixes to another guitar doesn't make any sense
Tom has set up some of my guitars in the past and he knows what he is doing. He does a really good job. I never spoke to him about tempered tuning and never really thought about it before. This thread made me do a little research on it because I didn't fully understand the OP.

I just make sure my intonation is right, my strings are in good shape, and tune with a good tuner. I might make small adjustments by ear if it doesn't sound just right.

Don't mean to be a pain, but I'm confused. You're not saying the in the Axe tuner, the open string notes aren't exactly half the frequency of the same notes an octave up, are you? Given the insane attention to detail in other respects, that seems so unlikely.
Im saying "if you compare open string tuning to harmonic tuning on the fx3, you will get different tuning results, and neither result agrees with my preferred tuner, the AiryWare.

Back
Top Bottom