FM9 Firmware Version 4.00

Check the speaker drive
It changed , many using the AX3 had to play w it as cleans were distorting
Check low cut and hi cut
There is a list of about 10 different parameters that changed
Are you sure about that? Release Notes say Speaker Drive changed in FW3.0... I don't recall anything in the FW notes about that.

Maybe I missed it...

Hey guys, thanks for those thoughts. I did do the refresh after firmware update, but i think that's more related to the block definitions for the interface. I did play around with some tweaking of the amps that I was testing, but didn't reload the amp fresh and dial in again. Honestly I forgot about the need to do that after significant changes to the amp algorithms, it's been a while since I've felt I needed to, so I'll try that next.

Thanks again for those thoughts!

I'm a heavy user of the D30 in my presets and was trying to characterize what I was hearing - it felt like a ton more treble content (but not necessarily 'presence') jumping out and hitting me - almost like a ton more of that "broken glass" tone, especially on single coil neck pickups. I spent a while going through them all and dialing back the ideal High Treble control a bit to take some of the edge off, but I usually try to avoid going to the ideal tab first... Perhaps I need to take another swipe at re-leveling...
Thanks for the idea. Gonna have to try this as well. First time I’ve upgraded fw and immediately rolled back to the previous firmware, seemed very treble heavy to me vs fw3.

I haven't had an issue with it being Trebly, maybe we are using different amps and cabs though. I play 80's clean tones and Metal tones mostly.

I’ve been able to put low end back into my amps after this amp update. No biggie, just increased Bass tone control or increased the cut in the output EQ. Didn’t touch high end much.

Nice to have the bass at 2 - 3 rather than around 1 now. A bit more range available.

Upgraded to FW 4.0 on Saturday and played two services at church on Sunday morning. Hillsong, Bethel, Worship Society upbeat P&W music. Simple setup with my FM9, EV-1 and PRS CU24. Everything worked great. The other guitarist mentioned how good my tone was multiple times between rehearsal and services. Didn't have to make any special adjustments for FOH, and worship leader was happy. Glorious!

I think I may have found a significant bug.

Listening through SPDIF in my DAW, I get some pretty ugly distortion. Restarted DAW and my machine, the noise persisted. Backed the FW down to v3 and it went away.

I didn't hear this though the Audio outputs though, either in my DAW or through a powered cab.

(i realized after I degraded back to FW3, I should have recorded it! If someone else is set up for this and wants to check it out, that's good, but I gotta do some woodshedding tonight, sorry!)

Wow! Just updated to 4.0! Wow the new amp modeling really does sound better! Gain staging improved and better dynamics. Seems to have more space in the amps. Reacts even more like tube amps! Love how they feel when playing even more so than before and cygnus 1 was awesome. Cygnus X-2 is legit! Awesome👍 Thank you Cliff and fractal team!!!!

I think I may have found a significant bug.

Listening through SPDIF in my DAW, I get some pretty ugly distortion. Restarted DAW and my machine, the noise persisted. Backed the FW down to v3 and it went away.

I didn't hear this though the Audio outputs though, either in my DAW or through a powered cab.

(i realized after I degraded back to FW3, I should have recorded it! If someone else is set up for this and wants to check it out, that's good, but I gotta do some woodshedding tonight, sorry!)
Just for the record, you set it up in a way that the FM9 is setting the clock? I get periodic „glitching“ noise on my Focusrite if I do not explicitly set the clock source to „S/PDIF“ since both clocks may come out of sync.

yeah, i have the clock source as spdif rather than external, and I'm intimately familiar with the clock mismatch blips, hah! (although they seemed to be way more present on Ax8 than FM9 when I had the wrong clock selected...maybe FM9 has a tighter tolerance clock? I was even able to remove a few glitches from a performance I liked with the FM9, since there was just a handful - doubt that would have been possible with the AX8!)

Anyway, this business sounds way different from the clock glitches. It sounds like a digital distortion or something. Seems to happen slightly more on the higher notes, but that's pretty anecdotal, and I didn't spend a lot of time exploring it.

Happy to wait for the official release, haha

yeah, i have the clock source as spdif rather than external, and I'm intimately familiar with the clock mismatch blips, hah! (although they seemed to be way more present on Ax8 than FM9 when I had the wrong clock selected...maybe FM9 has a tighter tolerance clock? I was even able to remove a few glitches from a performance I liked with the FM9, since there was just a handful - doubt that would have been possible with the AX8!)

Anyway, this business sounds way different from the clock glitches. It sounds like a digital distortion or something. Seems to happen slightly more on the higher notes, but that's pretty anecdotal, and I didn't spend a lot of time exploring it.

Happy to wait for the official release, haha

had that once with fw 3.0

I've been afraid to ask this, don't wanna get beat up too much, but....
For me, my clean and edge of breakup presets sound clearer, warmer and have better definition on FW3, it seems like the amp modeling changes in FW4 quickly pushes the amps further into hot clipping or crunch mode, without the clarity on FW3 (a little muddy?).

I've been loading each of them, and playing/testing them, I keep alternating between the two to really give each a fair go, I'm leaning toward staying on FW3 for now. Been playing and loving fractal for almost 9 years now, although I may not be an expert, i'm certainly not a novice.

Anyone else out there feeling this way between the two firmware versions?
I’ll be honest I freaking nailed an Andy timmons tone on axe fx 2

(audio sync issues)

But I for the life of me can’t recreate it on FM9 even after 2 months it just does sound or feel the same.

My advise to you is to not spend 2 months tweaking only to waste your life.

Sorry guys I'm new on this forum and I apologize for my English.
The same thing happened to me. After updating to fw 4 beta 1 with edit 1.01.05. SPDIF out didn't work. The sound was unprocessed, without distortion and effects, similar like when you recorded with a DI box. I decided to connect my other pedalboard Ax8 for test if the problem was my sound card Focusrite SCARLETT 6L6, but SPDIF worked correctly.
I use my DAW Cubase to listen my guitar,but the same problem was also through my monitors and headphones.
So I went back to fw 3.00 on my FM9 turbo and SPDIF out started working again.

Sorry guys I'm new on this forum and I apologize for my English.
The same thing happened to me. After updating to fw 4 beta 1 with edit 1.01.05. SPDIF out didn't work. The sound was unprocessed, without distortion and effects, similar like when you recorded with a DI box. I decided to connect my other pedalboard Ax8 for test if the problem was my sound card Focusrite SCARLETT 6L6, but SPDIF worked correctly.
I use my DAW Cubase to listen my guitar,but the same problem was also through my monitors and headphones.
So I went back to fw 3.00 on my FM9 turbo and SPDIF out started working again.
Did you try using the latest fw4.00? That is not beta.

I’ll be honest I freaking nailed an Andy timmons tone on axe fx 2

(audio sync issues)

But I for the life of me can’t recreate it on FM9 even after 2 months it just does sound or feel the same.

My advise to you is to not spend 2 months tweaking only to waste your life.

That weird because FM9 has more of the things that Andy uses
Like the signature AT bb pre
The Keely Halo delay

Yesterday I encountered something strange (second time since I got the FM9, so this happened in both FW 3 as well in FW 4):
Somehow, the input was much more sensitive. Didn't change anything on the Input 1/Instrument Level. The issue disappeared after a restart.
Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out what were the steps to reproduce it.
I am just reaching out to know if anybody experienced the same?

Back
Top Bottom