Axe-Fx Firmware Version 21.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-3/21p0/axefxiii_dsp_rel_21p00.zip

NOTE: You MUST perform a Refresh After Firmware Update if using Axe-Edit and you were using one of the 21.00 betas prior to this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Notes​

New “Cygnus X-2” amp modeling:

• Improved Amp block output transformer algorithm. New algorithm more accurately models B-H curve resulting in a clearer low end. New algorithm now also accounts for effect of speaker impedance on transformer response.
  • Improved power tube modeling. This yields better dynamics, improved low frequency accuracy and more accurate interaction with output transformer.
  • Improved cathode follower algorithm. Provides more accurate “cleanup” when volume is rolled off.
  • Improved triode algorithm more accurately models plate bypass capacitors.
  • Improved dynamic frequency response accuracy. This yields more “crunch” and less “fizz” with high gain tones, especially for detuned styles.
  • Various other improvements.
  • All amp models have been updated as a result of the aforementioned improvements.
The default values of various parameters have been updated. Existing presets are automatically updated to the new values upon load.

Improved Drive block modeling to more accurately model effects of op-amp finite open-loop gain and GBW product.

Added “Griddle Cake” Drive model based on a Crowther Hot Cake. The “XLF” switch on the pedal can be replicated by turning the Bass Response knob fully CW.

Added “Overdrive Volume” parameter to Dumble-type amp models (ODS-100, Two Stone, etc.). This is sometimes labeled “Ratio” or “Lead Master”. As the Master Volume on these amps often has a bright capacitor the Overdrive Volume control allows setting the Master Volume higher to counteract the bright cap and then lowering the power amp drive with the Volume.

Added “Plate Suppressor Diodes” parameter. This value is set automatically when the amp model is chosen but the user can override the default setting. Most amps do not have suppressor diodes but some do (e.g., Trainwreck Express). These diodes (also called “snubber” or “flyback” diodes) prevent undershoot on the power tube plates due to inductive kick and reduce upper harmonics thereby reducing “fizz”.

The Ideal amp controls have been updated.

Added Brit Studio 20 Amp model based on a Marshall SV20H.

Added Plexi 50W 6CA7 Jumped Amp model. This is simply the jumped version of the Plexi 50W 6CA7.

Added features to the IR Capture Utility. The manual will be updated with the relevant information.

Renamed USA Clean to USA Rhythm 1 to be more in line with actual amp.

Reduced CPU usage in some cases.

Changed tone stack tapers for Class-A 30W TB to vintage specs.

Fixed wrong capacitor value in USA JP IIC+ models when Presence Shift is off.

Fixed wrong coupling capacitor value in 1959SLP Treble, 1959SLP Jumped and 1987x Treble amp models.

Fixed wrong resistor value in tone stack of Solo 88 Rhythm and Lead models. Probably not audible though.

Fixed low frequency behavior of Recto2 models due to loss of precision.

Fixed wrong treble pot taper in CA3+ models.

Fixed wrong capacitor value in Friedman HBE V1 Fat model.

Fixed wrong resistor value in AC-20 12AX7 models.

Fixed wrong Depth knob taper in Archean models.

Fixed wrong capacitor value and wrong feedback network connection in Energyball model.

Fixed missing resistor in Euro Uber tone stack.

Fixed High Mid control in Drive block set to minimum when importing presets created prior to 19.01.

PLEASE..Does anyone know why this error. ?

Attachments

• IMG-20221129-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20221129-WA0006.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 65
Could someone tell me why the error when updating the DSP? See the photo below. Could someone tell me why the error when updating the DSP? See the photo below.

Attachments

• IMG-20221129-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20221129-WA0006.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 45
Could someone tell me why the error when updating the DSP? See the photo below. Could someone tell me why the error when updating the DSP? See the photo below.
Did you try again, as the error message suggests? If it still doesn't work, try restarting your computer and the Axe.

That's all assuming you're using the right file. Check that first.

All in the same boat. love building patches and ideas at work (yes, but no guitar, that would steal too much time LOL) and later see where im at when the guitar comes into play haha
Beats all the people at work who Facebook and tweet all day…and contributes more to the good of the world!

I've never had any issues with fizz but whilst we are in a confessional mood I must say that although i thought I had practised safe Recto I have recently developed a certain crustiness and, here's the embarrassing thing, it feels kinda nice. Seriously though, I've been tweaking and playing my Recto 1 Red preset this evening and it's sounding monstrous. Very happy and inspired.

Tons out there but Fizz is where it's at Brah!

Long Live Fizz

Seriously though... @FractalAudio could you take a look into the JS410 Lead Orange? It really has lost a great deal of it's sizzle and top end in 21 compared to 20.04. I could be missing something but I just can't get it back to come close compared to 20.04.

I will say that the guitar volume roll off is now insanely close to the real amp, especially when compared to the Kemper. The AXE is literally crushing this when compared to the Kemper.

I'm A/B/Cing tonight between the 2018 BE100 Amp vs. AXE vs. Kemper and the AXE matches the real amp much, much better now. In 20.04 with regards to guitar volume roll off, the AXE was closer to the Amp and the Kemper had much less. The Kemper is now totally unrealistic in this regard and the AXE is extremely close to the real amp.

Bravo to FAS for this!

Last edited:
Here is IMO by far the best representation of IIC+ on youtube and it´s without any cuts or studio magic, just raw sound with mic on V30.
now compare it again with my clip.
(I didn´t bothered to match my sound to this at all).
I can clearly here how amazing the fractal is, because that "fizz" (harmonic beauty and richness IMO) is exactly the same.
I love this fw :)

Edit : the guy has presence set at 1, mine is at 3. If I lower mine to 1, then it´s even closer ;)

I think the fractal sounds really good, it's not even close to the real amp in this clip. The low mids are very present as well as a tube power amp and tyranny, as good as the ax3 sounds it's night and day In this clip, I could pass that blind test from the parking lot. Maybe it's not meant to be a tone match?

I think the fractal sounds really good, it's not even close to the real amp in this clip. The low mids are very present as well as a tube power amp and tyranny, as good as the ax3 sounds it's night and day In this clip, I could pass that blind test from the parking lot. Maybe it's not meant to be a tone match?
As I wrote earlier, this was not meant to be tone match at all. The debate was about fizz. I just shared my favourite IIC+ video from YT and compared it with my recording, just to see how similar the top end fizz is without any tweaking.
Mine has still more top end, because it was set considerably brighter with more presence.
I’ll try to match today the recording with gain amount, attack/feel, overall EQ, etc. It will still sound probably different, because my guitar, hands, tuning, etc. will be different, but I tried it briefly, without recording anything and I was verry happy with results. I’ll try to post new matched clips ASAP.

Last edited:
Hello !!! I got a problem upgrading the Axe3 to this new

Axe-Fx Firmware Version 21.00

so I got this error everytime I'm gonna apply the update. I changed the cable, reboot the computer, change the USB port on my M1 Mac Mini (is there any problem with the Monterey and the Fractal Bot or something???) reset the system settings on the unit (AXE3), put the unit in the "Emergency Boot Loader" like the manual on page 93 first scenario....NOTHING...Also put the MIDI Buffer Delay in 300ms...reach the 100% and after ERROR....The unit reboots perfect after get stucked during the update, also tried many forms (directly from the Fractal Bot online and also downloading the sysex file) NOTHING...
The Axe somtimes gets freeze during the update in different percents, randomly...0%, 45%, 10%, 78%, 100% and I received this message on the computer everytime: No response received. Please ensure the device is connected and powered on, then try again.....But no AC problem coz I did directly on a UPS....This never happened before !!!

I let you here the pics with many of the cases...

Thanks in advance...!!

Attachments

• Actual Firmware.jpg
    Actual Firmware.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 31
  • Computer Message.jpg
    Computer Message.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 30
  • Error on update TRY AGAIN.jpg
    Error on update TRY AGAIN.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 31
  • FBot.jpg
    FBot.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Unit at 0%.jpg
    Unit at 0%.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 29
  • Unit at 52%.jpg
    Unit at 52%.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 27
In picture number two, it looks like the AxeFx is selected yet in picture number four, it looks like it has not been selected (where it just says utility).

Can you clarify that the AxeFXIII has indeed been selected?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom