Jcm 800 mini game : helix or axe ?

1st Helix
2nd Axe
The first one is more full with a bottom, the second, more even. Not so exact match, you can add or substract some frequencies to be more precise. First one is more preferable out of the mix.

Last edited:
Are the level matched?
here it was more tricky, because the marshall in the axe have tons of mid range, so I have added an eq block in the helix . to me the volume seems similar, but some frequencies are more louder than others and probably if you measure it with a tool there is a small difference dont know .

1st Helix
2nd Axe
The first one is more full with a bottom, the second, more even. Not so exact match, you can add or substract some frequencies to be more precise. First one is more preferable out of the mix.
both model sound totally different by default yes .

A=A and B=B
So A=Axe and B=Helix

But...as I'm always wrong, A should be Helix and B the Axe.
But, if I'm wrong thinking I'm wrong A should be the first and B the second.
But, after my beers, I'm not sure which of these two A....Whaa..ttt...Whaaat is the qwestiion ???

here it was more tricky, because the marshall in the axe have tons of mid range, so I have added an eq block in the helix . to me the volume seems similar, but some frequencies are more louder than others and probably if you measure it with a tool there is a small difference dont know .
Another option, but more work for you, would be to tone-match each to the average of both in the Axe, ideally using live mode with same DI. That way they each go through an extra IR to match them "together". Then level match in DAW as last step.

A = Axe Fx
B = Helix

I know that the helix 800 Mod don`t get bright when you turn down the gain ( I think)

I think I prefer A.

B I experience as "less organic" and higher strings seem to come through more, maybe less distorted? If the source material is identical, I guess you could consider that "more detailed"...?

This makes guessing too difficult for me. The game sucks! This is the first and last time I'll be playing! :p

1st Helix
2nd Axe

B= AXE FX, reason why is that note bloom after hitting the note

Listening through EQ room-corrected JBL LSR 305s in a bedroom

To me A sounds less complex and "dimensional" versus B. So I lean B=Axe.

Honestly, I prefer A, whatever it is.

A = Axe Fx
B = Helix

I know that the helix 800 Mod don`t get bright when you turn down the gain ( I think)

I think I prefer A.

B I experience as "less organic" and higher strings seem to come through more, maybe less distorted? If the source material is identical, I guess you could consider that "more detailed"...?

This makes guessing too difficult for me. The game sucks! This is the first and last time I'll be playing! :p

Vote is down for B as the Fractal

A helix
b axe

The second one is more suitable to play with other instruments, even someone's thinking that the first one is better sounding, but it will be alwful in the mix. You could make this game with putting these two tones in a melody, it would be nice guessing. ;)

The second one is more suitable to play with other instruments, even someone's thinking that the first one is better sounding, but it will be alwful in the mix. You could make this game with putting these two tones in a melody, it would be nice guessing. ;)

Agreed! Hearing them in a mix would be interesting.

Though I’ve never explicitly A/Bed HX vs. AFX, I did find the HX tones lending themselves to sitting nicely in a mix. That’s not a comparison, just something I noticed out of the box.

I don’t currently own any HX products, because I have the AFX3 & FM9. But I’ve owned each gadget in the HX family, except the Helix Rack and the Stomp XL.

Agreed! Hearing them in a mix would be interesting.

Though I’ve never explicitly A/Bed HX vs. AFX, I did find the HX tones lending themselves to sitting nicely in a mix. That’s not a comparison, just something I noticed out of the box.

I don’t currently own any HX products, because I have the AFX3 & FM9. But I’ve owned each gadget in the HX family, except the Helix Rack and the Stomp XL.
But the interesting part is if you listen to an isolated guitar you could not hear this full bottom "artifacts" from the 1st example which pleasing someone's hearing this would be the bass part. In practicing environment all of your own it would be good to "pump" the tone like this.

The sure thing is that the difference with basses on both product is huge by default. With 21.00 they are even more cut so it is impressive at first. I have to remove a lot in the helix to try to match the axe .

the Marshall are better at first without any doubt in the axe, they automatically sounds great. but with some tweaks the helix remains something useable without problems .

Back
Top Bottom