Axe-Fx Firmware Version 21.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
With this release I am really appreciating more, the power of various tone shaping before amp input. Maybe it was there in some earlier release and I didn't notice as much, but all the boost types now can be so dramatic or subtle depending on boost level / shape, ODs seem to have increased character, pre-EQ seems really powerful compared to what I recall, and fx like Flanger/Phaser/Chorus in pre position before EOB / EOB+ tones sound to me now like they have a more precise influence. Just futzing with simple amp channels like Diamante Fire - amazed at the range of tones I can extract with variations at input + just Gain / Single Tone knobs on the amp. 👍 👍

@FractalAudio I noticed a strange thing on the Hipower Jumped model: supply sag defaults to 1.00 while on the Normal and Brilliant models it is 1.30. I wonder if this is correct since, afaik, they should only differ in the input stage.

PS: still regarding Hipower, another strange thing I've noticed is that the Normal model has different default settings for the Tonestack frequency and Master volume location compared to the other 2 models, is it supposed to be this way? (This difference has been there for a long time though)

This is probably going to be a dumb question, but I plead ignorance. Regarding "The default values of various parameters have been updated. Existing presets are automatically updated to the new values upon load". I'm understanding that the new values are loaded each time, but not saved in the patch. Is there a way to update and save the patches with the new values in bulk, as opposed to having to recall and save each patch with the new values one at a time? I'm assuming patch loading will be slightly quicker if the new values are already saved in the patch versus having to reload each time? Or am I all wet and it really doesn't matter?

ODs seem to have increased character
Yes setting the level at 5 now is enough when you use them as boost, at 10 it is too much . So the standard setting we use to do with the real pedal (gain zero level 10 bla-bla-bla ) is not usable anymore.

This is probably going to be a dumb question, but I plead ignorance. Regarding "The default values of various parameters have been updated. Existing presets are automatically updated to the new values upon load". I'm understanding that the new values are loaded each time, but not saved in the patch. Is there a way to update and save the patches with the new values in bulk, as opposed to having to recall and save each patch with the new values one at a time? I'm assuming patch loading will be slightly quicker if the new values are already saved in the patch versus having to reload each time? Or am I all wet and it really doesn't matter?
I don't think that's right.

My understanding is that each preset knows what version of was saved with, and the FIRST time it's loaded with a more recent version, it get updated with any new values specific to that version.

It's not going to reset to those values every time, otherwise you couldn't save your own modifications.

The 800s are pretty nuts in this FW! They’re raw and the power amp response “feels” incredible under the fingers. And thanks for the kind words. I’m glad you’re having fun with the T75 cab.

Thanks! I used my MJT Telecaster (pine body with nitro finish… can’t remember the pickups) and the MTCH V2 M25 Mix 01 for the IR.

Oh you can NEVER have too many Marshalls. :) The good ones are ridiculously satisfying in real life. In the Axe, the 800, 800 mod, and 1987x jump models are pretty special.

And the Axe is more reliable! I toured mine for five years putting them through hell. They were in terrible heat, frigid cold, rainy days, dusty festivals, and brutal handling with international freight companies… I didn’t need to use my backup unit once.
Thanks for the reply, Justin! Great tone as always. Would you be willing to share that preset? I feel like I learn a lot from your presets!

I also concur with the earlier posters in the previous beta that it would awesome to watch you dial in amps/the axe fx and have you explain why you dial them in the way you do, and what you hear and are looking for etc. when doing so. I'd pay for that actually! It would be like watching a mix engineer, but for guitars!

The "High-Treble" knob doesnt work in up to date Axe-Edit: on the 59 Bassguy, JTM, Plexi 100w and SLP.
You can turn but theres no in or decrease of High-Treble.

Thanks for the reply, Justin! Great tone as always. Would you be willing to share that preset? I feel like I learn a lot from your presets!

I also concur with the earlier posters in the previous beta that it would awesome to watch you dial in amps/the axe fx and have you explain why you dial them in the way you do, and what you hear and are looking for etc. when doing so. I'd pay for that actually! It would be like watching a mix engineer, but for guitars!

Piling on. Would love this. Seeing a clean, crunchy, and high gain tone built live with your commentary would be incredible.

I know we have great sources for this already, but it's always fun to take tricks from different people and build your own approach from that.

I don't think that's right.

My understanding is that each preset knows what version of was saved with, and the FIRST time it's loaded with a more recent version, it get updated with any new values specific to that version.

It's not going to reset to those values every time, otherwise you couldn't save your own modifications.
No, unless you save the preset after loading then it's going to reset every time you load as far as my understanding.

Otherwise it would have to save your presets for you after loading.

I use the JPC++ amp model, and I'm noticing it being much more mid-heavy and thicker/bigger. Anyone else seeing similar results?
jp2c is so, so much better with this fw.
I always had usa IIC++ as my ultimate mark tone, but now I prefer the jp2c.
Funny thing, before this fw, jp2c was to me the last one to choose from all the marks.
Now it kills 🤘

Last edited:
There is one really huge improvement to do, and that is the noise gate. Now I think that we have enough models and this and that. But I still have noises non filtered while playing and I battle with it everyday.

I found that When I put the input impedance at 22k better than 1000 (auto) it remove completely the noise I am fighting. But it also change the tone😕, so I play with « auto »

Cliff is/was(?) busy with this huge update, but I really hope that he will give use a top gate In The future

View attachment 111372
Do you use the one in the input block? I did until recently. I changed to gate block after the amp and use the spiral expander or whatever its called. Downward facing spiral dog gate haha!

Just out of curiosity, what guitar?

Could you post the preset for this?

I tried the factory one with that IR, #10 IIRC, very trebly. Not doubting you, just wondering.
No worries, I am playing a 2022 Music Man Majesty 7, bridge for all crunch/lead, neck and/or piezo for the cleans, knobs dimed on the guitar (roll off volume occasionally to account for quieter parts). I'm happy to share the preset, brother, continued below...

What guitar are you using? Would you mind to post the preset (without the CAB)

I've made a preset with the Brit 800 and the YA MRSH 412 T75 Mix 13 but it sounds thin when rolling the volume down and trebly when breaking, as @Dave Merrill has noted

I've tried a Strat with CS Fat'50 and a J.Custom with Satchur8.

Regarding the harsh thin highs, you're both not wrong. However, one thing I've done particularly on this JCM800 preset is double the cabs in parallel. You'll notice immediately the harshness you hear with a single cab disappears and everything becomes articulate, tight, and thick. What sounded very "tinny" turns into clear responsive highs, and the lows are nice and tight. This preset is setup to sit in a mix, so it's full and tight but it's not that "bedroom range" where it sounds super scooped, awesome to your ears by itself, but so full across the entire spectrum that when you sit in a mix you all but disappear. This is mid-centric but definitely not thin, harsh, or lacking and if you prefer, adding in lower freqs works fine to achieve a heavier low-end or full-spectrum vibe. If I had to define the sound as it is, think 80s/90's Maiden, Megadeth, etc.

The point of this preset was to recreate my JCM 800 2210 sound from the 80's/90's. I used no drives, only the gain on the amp and EQ both for recording and live. This is probably a great jumping off point for anyone to turn the JCM800 into something more personally theirs...add drives, tweak settings, etc, but as it stands, this is pretty damned close to what I toured and recorded with for many years. Sure it can be improved upon further and I'll tweak it more as I go, but this is very satisfying currently and I hope you enjoy it. As indicated earlier, the YA cab I mentioned and use is absolutely brilliant in this setup and is somewhat crucial to getting it "perfect" to my ears, but perhaps one can find a factory cab to do the job or that they prefer more. I'd HIGHLY recommend if you dig this, then go show some love to @York Audio and drop the $15US for the YA MRSH 412 Pack, it's really REALLY solid and you're sure to find other uses for one of the most metal cabs in history! ;)

Lastly, to pull out the YA cab(s), do I just switch it out all the paid IRs with factory cabs then export it? I've never exported a preset to share so I have no idea what the actual mechanics are to exclude my paid IR. I assume I could just copy my preset to an empty slot, sub the cabs for a factory one and export/share that? What is the preferred method?

Alright, I think I answered my own question, and have attached my preset to this post. I just nuked all the paid IRs in various cab slots and picked a factory 4x12 1960A 300w Shure 57 to replace them. It's not the same as the YA IR I am in love with, but it's not very far off and should at least get you somewhere in the ballpark so you can choose a more favorable cab to your own ears, or...just buy that YA cab set, what a bargain!

Hope someone finds it useful, and be well all!

EDIT: Oh yeah, the Wah block in here is a little bonus, A is the Cantrell wah, and B is the Petrucci wah! :D

Attachments

• My JCM800.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
The 800s are pretty nuts in this FW! They’re raw and the power amp response “feels” incredible under the fingers. And thanks for the kind words. I’m glad you’re having fun with the T75 cab.

Absolutely spot on, they are so damned close now I honestly can NOT stop grinning, it's pure magic!! The joy is real!

Brother, your IRs are brilliant, you earned those kind words! I have a number of other branded packs (Ownhammer, Redwirez (R.I.P.), ML Brit Bundle), and I like them for what they are, but the York Audio IRs really stand out for me. I first bought the Friedman 412 M25-V30 pack, then the MRSH 412 T75 pack and fell in love with 'em, so last night I just purchased 3 more of the York packs: MESA 412 OS, 5153 412 VH20, and VH+ 412 P50E. I love everything I've purchased from York, keep up the great work!!

No worries, I am playing a 2022 Music Man Majesty 7, bridge for all crunch/lead, neck and/or piezo for the cleans, knobs dimed on the guitar (roll off volume occasionally to account for quieter parts). I'm happy to share the preset, brother, continued below...

Regarding the harsh thin highs, you're both not wrong. However, one thing I've done particularly on this JCM800 preset is double the cabs in parallel. You'll notice immediately the harshness you hear with a single cab disappears and everything becomes articulate, tight, and thick. What sounded very "tinny" turns into clear responsive highs, and the lows are nice and tight. This preset is setup to sit in a mix, so it's full and tight but it's not that "bedroom range" where it sounds super scooped, awesome to your ears by itself, but so full across the entire spectrum that when you sit in a mix you all but disappear. This is mid-centric but definitely not thin, harsh, or lacking and if you prefer, adding in lower freqs works fine to achieve a heavier low-end or full-spectrum vibe. If I had to define the sound as it is, think 80s/90's Maiden, Megadeth, etc.

The point of this preset was to recreate my JCM 800 2210 sound from the 80's/90's. I used no drives, only the gain on the amp and EQ both for recording and live. This is probably a great jumping off point for anyone to turn the JCM800 into something more personally theirs...add drives, tweak settings, etc, but as it stands, this is pretty damned close to what I toured and recorded with for many years. Sure it can be improved upon further and I'll tweak it more as I go, but this is very satisfying currently and I hope you enjoy it. As indicated earlier, the YA cab I mentioned and use is absolutely brilliant in this setup and is somewhat crucial to getting it "perfect" to my ears, but perhaps one can find a factory cab to do the job or that they prefer more. I'd HIGHLY recommend if you dig this, then go show some love to @York Audio and drop the $15US for the YA MRSH 412 Pack, it's really REALLY solid and you're sure to find other uses for one of the most metal cabs in history! ;)

Lastly, to pull out the YA cab(s), do I just switch it out all the paid IRs with factory cabs then export it? I've never exported a preset to share so I have no idea what the actual mechanics are to exclude my paid IR. I assume I could just copy my preset to an empty slot, sub the cabs for a factory one and export/share that? What is the preferred method?

Alright, I think I answered my own question, and have attached my preset to this post. I just nuked all the paid IRs in various cab slots and picked a factory 4x12 1960A 300w Shure 57 to replace them. It's not the same as the YA IR I am in love with, but it's not very far off and should at least get you somewhere in the ballpark so you can choose a more favorable cab to your own ears, or...just buy that YA cab set, what a bargain!

Hope someone finds it useful, and be well all!

EDIT: Oh yeah, the Wah block in here is a little bonus, A is the Cantrell wah, and B is the Petrucci wah! :D

My impression or Virtual Capo is much better? :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:
Definition is great!
This firmware is perfect!

Cliff! Congratulations on all your work!
You and your company are the best!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom