Art tube Preamp

Xcdchdchjjf

Experienced
Anyone use little boxes like the Art Tube MPs on the input/outup of their FM3?

Ive always had one around for the past 20 years, used it live with an Acoustasonic last night worked out very well to chill out the modeling side of the guitar.

Though I am not sure how much "tube" is being used in these little boxes, (or any "tube pedal" for than matter).

I did at one time have some of the EHX Tube Effects pedals and they were great...

Another mention is the Blu pedals using "micro tube" technology, which appears to be, as said, a micro tube.

Who knows what any of this is. I would be pretty sweet, as a side note, for Cliff to build the ultimate tube amp. Using his insane wealth of knowledge. Maybe even using some of these newfangled (?) mini tubes in conjunction with normal sized ones...

Who knows what any of this is.
It's a preamp designed to add a little compression and distortion. The FM3 already provides that ability, anywhere in your signal chain.

I would be pretty sweet, as a side note, for Cliff to build the ultimate tube amp. Using his insane wealth of knowledge. Maybe even using some of these newfangled (?) mini tubes in conjunction with normal sized ones...
They're already in there: the FAS amp models. FAS Class-A is the ultimate Vox-style amp. FAS Brown is the ultimate brown sound. FAS ODS is the ultimate Dumble. I could go on, but why not discover them for yourself?

When I first got into modellers I bought the Behringer version of one of those (MIC100) cuz the reviews told me it would make my Boss GT8 sound good - hooked it up with high hopes ---> didn't work.

Threw it in the pile of other stuff that didn't work: tonewarmers, sonic maximers, exciters, defizzers, unfizzers, antifizzers, and many other magic boxes.

Last edited:
When I first got into modellers I bought the Behringer version of one of those (MIC100) cuz the reviews told me it would make my Boss GT8 sound good - hooked it up with high hopes ---> didn't work.

Threw it in the pile of other stuff that didn't work: tonewarmers, sonic maximers, exciters, defizzers, unfizzers, antifizzers, and many other magic boxes.
So I have, for some reason at time purchased Behringer products, in a pinch. While there are some amazing aspects to cost, I have always found them uninspiring and then never used them again. If I see behringer name on anything, I dont expect good sound. That being said "Art" are maybe one step above, but I know a lot of great engineers who will throw a little art box on a live acoustic guitar... Would I prefer something better, like a Neve preamp for my guitar? Sure. I havent used the Art much in the past 12 years, ever since getting an(d selling an) Empirical Fatso, but once in awhile I put it on something. Point is.... the Arts are a lot better reviewed than the Behringer counterpart.

I too have one of those Aphex pedal boxes, pulled this out last night for the acoustic guitar live as well! Yeah its a shame the exciter is in ways a "fake" sound, but last night I used it as an on off EQ to bring some passages out of the mix. I too keep it in my pile of the same things you listed!

This being said, I do have a Neumann TLM102, and it sort of has the qualities of "all those little magic boxes" except, its "real."

It's a preamp designed to add a little compression and distortion. The FM3 already provides that ability, anywhere in your signal chain.

They're already in there: the FAS amp models. FAS Class-A is the ultimate Vox-style amp. FAS Brown is the ultimate brown sound. FAS ODS is the ultimate Dumble. I could go on, but why not discover them for yourself?
Yeah I meant a real tube amp, like a "$1200 dumble" or something.

I will look at FAS ODS I think i have ignored that one...

I too have one of those Aphex pedal boxes, pulled this out last night for the acoustic guitar live as well! Yeah its a shame the exciter is in ways a "fake" sound, but last night I used it as an on off EQ to bring some passages out of the mix. I too keep it in my pile of the same things you listed!

This being said, I do have a Neumann TLM102, and it sort of has the qualities of "all those little magic boxes" except, its "real."
Those type boxes I mentioned were the bandaids of the day for many modellers that were still quite flawed (ie aliasing, harshness...). Axefx was the end of my need for that stuff (all gone now) - simply not needed with Axefx for a long time now if ever, and not needed with many other modellers now - the tech has matured woohoo!

Last edited:
They don’t run the tube at proper voltage to actually do anything worthwhile, it’s basically a starved plate nightlight. Heck, a lot of similar tube products actually have little orange LED’s behind the tube to give that “tube warmth” lol

They aren’t bad products for the money if you need a mic pre, but it’s kind of silly to run a $35 preamp into a $1000 modeler, no?

If we are talking a preamp that’s several thousand dollars, then sure, maybe, but you get what you pay for with this one

The best use of that pre is to put a mic into the Fractal. That's what I use it for, since you can't just plug a mic into the thing (yeah, yeah, some have sworn that you can, but you can't).
I also use the art tube mp so I can put a mic into the axe. But that's all I use it for.

Yeah I meant a real tube amp, like a "$1200 dumble" or something.
Okay, I didn't know that. Truth is, though, that I haven't lusted after a tube amp in ages. And with the dwindling availability of tubes, this might not be a good time to get into that side of the business.

One of the hallmarks of Fractal gear is that it maintains absolute control over the sound. If your design uses tubes, which have varying characteristics, you give up some of that control.

The whole deal with preamp tubes (or any tube) is the voltage applied to the plate in relation to the B+ source based on the resistor increasing current and power. If you’re wanting a solid clean amplification factor with maximum headroom then that voltage is going to require mains voltage and a stepping transformer to get into the 200 Vdc range. However the other parts of the tube play a role in the gain factor. Like the bias point, etc. Basically this gets into voltages that are dangerous and placing them in pedals, etc. needs careful attention to safety, quality of components, etc. increasing cost and decreasing attractiveness to the average consumer.

Last edited:
The best use of that pre is to put a mic into the Fractal. That's what I use it for, since you can't just plug a mic into the thing (yeah, yeah, some have sworn that you can, but you can't).
That’s what I thought until I tried it - more than enough gain for a dynamic mic, and even the ribbon mic I tried (Cascade Fathead)!

Back
Top Bottom