Let's see those FM3 rigs!

View attachment 96392

This is my first Fractal rig - or any modeller rig for that matter. I put it together this week (still need to wire up some of the connections on the front panel, which will reduce wear on the Fractal jacks from frequent plugging/unplugging and reduce the likelihood of getting ripped apart by bass players with clumsy boots … ).
How did you make the extra foot switches?

Do you use the gig bag or the flight case with this board?

Why did you take the ends of the FM, just for the little bit of space?

How did you mount the FM3 onto this.

For your midid strip at the bottom - did you need to get any special cables also, or just midi to midi?
- can you program your midi strip without using a computer? Ie; in the FM3 interface?
I have a special suitcase for my FM3

The rubber pads on both sides of FM3 were removed to fix FM3 on the board. I used 3M-SJ3550CF mushroom buckle, which is very safe!

The Voes MX-5 can only be edited by computer, not fM3, and it uses MIDI cables to connect downstream devices

Last edited:
Here is (finally) my board! Have recently started again to jam, rehearse (and hopefully gig soon!), so I finally took the time to secure everything on the board.

The missing connection in the module on the left side will be a USB feedthrough (still waiting for it to ship!).

Be gentle on my wiring skills as I'm definitely no 'Mr. Nice Rack Canada' here! ;-)

Cheers,
J277180511_3219663951638538_2116510389281212123_n.jpg277114273_344031347681314_3163046403557585240_n.jpg277154987_4413767032058408_8328615963508948011_n.jpg277114730_1310911229403170_6064195272160592007_n.jpg277107000_5099172673475943_5707748848815714556_n.jpg277107926_428051245754265_8939780709154978456_n.jpg277048910_661715575098531_2330984500769976683_n.jpg277051607_517873753346384_6791024581443415465_n.jpg276983969_436700174879483_7484054646471774511_n.jpg

Here's my next final iteration LOL (this one will stick around for Blues Rock)!

Gokko/Soyan 12" X 18" aluminum pedalboard.

Arthur Sounds JCM 800 (an inexpensive true high voltrage JCM 800 preamp in a pedal, with excellent sound and build quality from eastern Europe).

http://preamps.ru/

(If on Windowz, translate page in Chrome as Firefox doesn't seem to work for me, and note that he's a Russian guy living in Bulgaria, with good English skills)

The FM3 does a wonderful job of providing a high quality tube power amp sim for the JCM 800 preamp, as well as cab/acoustic guitar sims and FX etc!

Mosky Dual Footswitch.

Ceba Screen Protectors.

Mooer Footswitch Toppers.

Mooer Footswitch Shrooms.

Mono Club 2.0 Case

Custom Patchbay (to save the FM3's connectors from people tripping on cables on blacked out stages).

The whole pedalboard complete with cheap case, DIY patchbay and cabling cost around $100, including clockable XLR's and right-angle MIDI connectors, D-Series punched project box, plus the D-Series 5-Pin DINs and XLR connectors, and the D-Series1/4" connector.

FC Setup...

FC1 tap controls the Ableton LIVE Looper Plugin's Play button, and hold the FM3's Tuner.
FC2 tap controls the Ableton LIVE Session Loop button, and hold the Ableton LIVE Looper Plugin's Undo button plus a Boost.
FC3 tap switches a Delay FX, and hold selects a Pitch FX (Auto-Whammy).

The Mosky Dual Switch 1 tap increments Scenes, and hold decrements Scenes (the majority of FX changes and cross-fades/fades are automated via MIDI from Ableton LIVE).
The Mosky Dual Switch 2 tap selects Auto-Wah .

As usual, apologies for horrible image quality, Moto G Power in a dark studio (crummy camera but great battery life), plus the fact that the FM3 is dirty as heck LOL (from live use)!

Last edited:
How did you make the extra foot switches?
They’re just standard momentary footswitches - I drilled holes in the PedalTrain to mount them, then wired them in pairs with ‘stereo’ cable (2 inner conductors, plus shield/ground) to TRS jacks which plug into the FM3 and FC6.

By mounting them right into the board they are lower than the FM3/FC6 switches so I don’t accidentally hit them when tapping the FM3/FC6 bottom row, and by not having them in separate enclosures it also saves some weight/space/cost.

Finally finished the FM3 setup for the year at least.

View attachment 98736
How are you running the big muff? First in chain then into fm3? Does FM3 take it well? Do you feel the TC spark is really neccesary since the FM3 has such incredible boosters/preamp inside? How about the Ventris? Does it completely replace your FM3 reverb? Does the morningstar control any of the Ventris specific presets, in the Ventris pedal? Or is the Ventris accepting Midi from the FM3 per scene? If it is, how did you set that up- in the FM3? Or in FM3 edit? Or in the Morningstar Editor?

My updated board. At home I use 4CM with my Bogner Ecstasy. For Rehearsals I go into 2 Marshall Stacks direct into the FX loops in stereo, Live I go direct to FOH (with stage amp). Love the FM3 and Morningstar for the size... View attachment 98778
Do you have amps in the FM3 patches? Of youre saying you use real amps instead? Or you bypass the Preamp of the AMPS and just use the speakers? Clean rig. Did you not find the rat inside the FM3 as good as the rat pedal?

Do you have amps in the FM3 patches? Of youre saying you use real amps instead? Or you bypass the Preamp of the AMPS and just use the speakers? Clean rig. Did you not find the rat inside the FM3 as good as the rat pedal?
I have 3 main patches for 3 setups. Scenes and effect chains are identical in each preset. For 4CM I don't have any FM3 amp, only pre and post FX / at our rehearsal space I use a preset with the FM3 ecstasy amp, with power amp sim off, into the FX loops of 2 Stack / Live I go direct to FOH with FM3 amp and cab sim and Out 2 before the cab block (if I use an amp as stage monitor). This way now I always have the same layout in front of me, I can use one board for all setups and ALWAYS have the best, consistent sound...

I have 3 main patches for 3 setups. Scenes and effect chains are identical in each preset. For 4CM I don't have any FM3 amp, only pre and post FX / at our rehearsal space I use a preset with the FM3 ecstasy amp, with power amp sim off, into the FX loops of 2 Stack / Live I go direct to FOH with FM3 amp and cab sim and Out 2 before the cab block (if I use an amp as stage monitor). This way now I always have the same layout in front of me, I can use one board for all setups and ALWAYS have the best, consistent sound...
So youre saying it has an effects "chain" that has no amp for when you go thru your amp, but then you turn on an amp for when youre FOH?

I’m going to have to borrow some ideas from all of these pedalboards one day. It’s really impressive how much is crammed on everyone’s boards.

I’m starting out with a modest setup with some unused parts laying around. I have my FM3 stored in a small gig bag for the time being to avoid snarky comments from my wife.

16310B6D-8296-42E3-93EF-67FE219DA91D.jpeg

How are you running the big muff? First in chain then into fm3? Does FM3 take it well? Do you feel the TC spark is really neccesary since the FM3 has such incredible boosters/preamp inside? How about the Ventris? Does it completely replace your FM3 reverb? Does the morningstar control any of the Ventris specific presets, in the Ventris pedal? Or is the Ventris accepting Midi from the FM3 per scene? If it is, how did you set that up- in the FM3? Or in FM3 edit? Or in the Morningstar Editor?
Muff is first in the chain, followed by the Plimsoul and Spark into the FM3. Ventris is in a stereo loop. Right now the MC8 is only controlling scenes and I use the FM3 switchology for everything else. The Ventris presets are being changed per scene by the FM3 using the MIDI block, but I may use the MC8 later down the road to control some of the reverb's parameters. I wouldn't say the Ventris replaces the reverbs completely in the FM3, but the pedal sounds spectacular and creates a lot more DSP flexibility with my patches. The midi block sends a PC message when required to change presets in the Ventris, which works marvelously thanks to its spillover capability.

The analog pedals are in kind of the same boat where as they aren't a neccessity, but they sound great going into the FM3. After coming from several modeling platforms prior to the FM3, I've found most of them take pedals well with a variety of amps. I use the Spark with my Jazzmaster because it provides a boost to the signal that I find very satisfying and still can't quite replicate with a modeler. The Plimsoul seems to be a polarzing pedal to say the least and it kind of does its own unique thing that hasn't been modeled yet. It's been a part of my sound for quite a while going into a clean Fender amp and so I've stuck with it.

Muff is first in the chain, followed by the Plimsoul and Spark into the FM3. Ventris is in a stereo loop. Right now the MC8 is only controlling scenes and I use the FM3 switchology for everything else. The Ventris presets are being changed per scene by the FM3 using the MIDI block, but I may use the MC8 later down the road to control some of the reverb's parameters. I wouldn't say the Ventris replaces the reverbs completely in the FM3, but the pedal sounds spectacular and creates a lot more DSP flexibility with my patches. The midi block sends a PC message when required to change presets in the Ventris, which works marvelously thanks to its spillover capability.

The analog pedals are in kind of the same boat where as they aren't a neccessity, but they sound great going into the FM3. After coming from several modeling platforms prior to the FM3, I've found most of them take pedals well with a variety of amps. I use the Spark with my Jazzmaster because it provides a boost to the signal that I find very satisfying and still can't quite replicate with a modeler. The Plimsoul seems to be a polarzing pedal to say the least and it kind of does its own unique thing that hasn't been modeled yet. It's been a part of my sound for quite a while going into a clean Fender amp and so I've stuck with it.
I have a Ventris as well as every big box Reverb and the FM3, basically FM3 is top then the Ventris then far below is everyhting else. Its an incredible little powerhouse. Unbelievable feature set.

So If your Ventris is in the stereo loop, how are you pluggin into amps/cabs/etc? You cant just use an XLR out right?

Back
Top Bottom