Waitlist Email

This must be a joke. New products from many manufacturers, from apple to line 6 are being released by the thousands and more, and you are 7 months after announcing “available now” with only a few hours of waitlisters served bragging of doing backflips. Every product announcement of yours feels like a catastrophe with waitlists and people “agonizing” over the inability to simply purchase your products. Not to mention worldwide dealers who should be grateful if they get their first units after a year. Every time it’s the same story. Fractal is considered a company who value their customers by always improving their software but actually your production division is exactly the opposite. Yeah, we’ve all heard about chip shortage, apparently your competitors never heard of it. I can get into a store in my country and buy a Neural quad cortex, a Kemper or any of line 6’s products and be out of the store with the unit in my hands in 5 minutes.
Your post is definitely a joke. Or at minimum, a complete misunderstanding of how the MI industry works. Do you think that Fractal has the pull of Apple? Or Yamaha (Line 6)? Dude.

Come on now. Fractal is literally a small boutique digital modeling company. It’s why it’s so good, and it’s why they’re harder to get. There’s no compromise in quality of hardware or tones.

So go buy a Line 6 (I have a Stomp, it’s a pretty cool piece) or a Quad Kotex, and enjoy the noisy laptop power supply.

Your post is definitely a joke. Or at minimum, a complete misunderstanding of how the MI industry works. Do you think that Fractal has the pull of Apple? Or Yamaha (Line 6)? Dude.

Come on now. Fractal is literally a small boutique digital modeling company. It’s why it’s so good, and it’s why they’re harder to get. There’s no compromise in quality of hardware or tones.

So go buy a Line 6 (I have a Stomp, it’s a pretty cool piece) or a Quad Kotex, and enjoy the noisy laptop power supply.
Only if it pays the bills and doesn't get him in trouble...

I Don't agree with the guy your talking about either.
Not sure which chips they are short on??? Would be curious to know if its the SharcDSP or other items???
As far as the QC the PowerSupply "Noise" is only an issue if you "Only Plug in Guitar & Headphones" & 2 "are too stupid to set a NoiseGate"

I Don't agree with the guy your talking about either.
Not sure which chips they are short on??? Would be curious to know if its the SharcDSP or other items???
As far as the QC the PowerSupply "Noise" is only an issue if you "Only Plug in Guitar & Headphones" & 2 "are too stupid to set a NoiseGate"
Only an issue if you use it as one of its intended purposes, and rely on something you shouldn’t have to. Got it.

I can get into a store in my country and buy a Neural quad cortex, a Kemper or any of line 6’s products and be out of the store with the unit in my hands in 5 minutes.

Try getting something people really want :)

I do HVAC work and there's a 20 month wait for Carrier commercial equipment. Some other brands have an even longer waitlist. I get that you are frustrated just as many others are, but your post isn't based on the current reality of most everyone's current situation.

Agreed.

That said, I do have to criticize Fractal hardware releases even if we ignore COVID and chip shortages. It has always taken them a long time to get anything out, especially for us EU folks. Fractal releases something, I say "cool, see you in 6-12 months when I can actually buy one!" This has been going on for years without any supply issues.

By comparison for example the Quad Cortex was available for preorder from multiple vendors and despite plenty of delays of its own, when it shipped it did ship worldwide and as far as I know those initial orders got filled fairly quickly. Without mystery waitlists, with at least some timeframe indication from vendors.

NeuralDSP is probably a similar size company to Fractal so I think Fractal can do better for their future releases, excluding situations that are out of their hands like what is going on currently.

Agreed.

That said, I do have to criticize Fractal hardware releases even if we ignore COVID and chip shortages. It has always taken them a long time to get anything out, especially for us EU folks. Fractal releases something, I say "cool, see you in 6-12 months when I can actually buy one!" This has been going on for years without any supply issues.

By comparison for example the Quad Cortex was available for preorder from multiple vendors and despite plenty of delays of its own, when it shipped it did ship worldwide and as far as I know those initial orders got filled fairly quickly. Without mystery waitlists, with at least some timeframe indication from vendors.

NeuralDSP is probably a similar size company to Fractal so I think Fractal can do better for their future releases, excluding situations that are out of their hands like what is going on currently.

The FM9 and III Turbo and FC Mark II were immediately available after the announcements.

Go ahead. It's about making yourself happy and obviously waiting for Fractal isn't doing that for you, so pick an alternate and go with it. Your passive-aggressive diatribe threatening "why I ought'a" accomplishes nothing useful.

But, you don't seem to have a good understanding of how supply allocation occurs, nor a good idea of the relative sizes and budgets of the companies you mentioned.

Electronic parts, especially DSP, especially during periods like now when the supply is constrained, go to the companies with the deepest pockets and who can pay the price demanded by the manufacturer. Currently that'd be automobile makers then other big electronic product manufacturers and the chips that are being made are those that they request. It's "supply and demand" in action.

Because Fractal Audio is privately held, they don't have to report the same information others do, but based on a quick search of company information, one site said they have less than $5M in revenue, and Dunn and Bradstreet said they had "$678,550 in sales". Let's say Fractal has $2,839,275 which is the average between the two estimates.

Neural DSP has $5.7M+ in funding but that has to hold them over lean times, it's not annual sales, but they also have their software plugin sales to buffer them.

Kemper Gmbh has an estimated $4M+, but that value was for only Kemper-Amplifiers, but there's also Virus synthesizers, which are owned by the same company, so we'll say $4M as a minimum.

On the other hand, Line 6, who is owned by Yamaha with ¥408B+ revenue, AKA $3,418,009,132.

Above them are the automobile manufacturers and I'm not even going to look for their information because they dwarf the music industry.

So, who is going to get chips in a bidding war?

Yet, in spite of being the smallest, Fractal is leading the pack as far as technology.
Waiting for anything doesn’t do it for me as for anyone else. You guys have developed the Stockholm syndrome. I Obviously use and appreciate fractal products but as boutique as they are they make the same mistake every time, I’m mean you don’t have to be a fortune teller to predict the demand for a unit like the FM9. Just build a reasonable stock before announcing a hit product. Do you remember any company of any scale unable to meet a fraction of the demand of a new product as it start shipping? I dont.

Waiting for anything doesn’t do it for me as for anyone else. You guys have developed the Stockholm syndrome. I Obviously use and appreciate fractal products but as boutique as they are they make the same mistake every time, I’m mean you don’t have to be a fortune teller to predict the demand for a unit like the FM9. Just build a reasonable stock before announcing a hit product. Do you remember any company of any scale unable to meet a fraction of the demand of a new product as it start shipping? I dont.
Do you understand the cost behind this? Especially for a small company...

The company doesn't know a "hit product" until it's been announced, and even then not until actual orders start coming in. To make a wrong estimate there could be financially catastrophic.

This has been discussed many times in the past.

Fractal also doesn't take your (pre-order) money and make you wait like many other companies. You pay nothing until you actually place an order for a product that's ready to ship to you.

Do you understand the cost behind this? Especially for a small company...

The company doesn't know a "hit product" until it's been announced, and even then not until actual orders start coming in. To make a wrong estimate there could be financially catastrophic.

This has been discussed many times in the past.

Fractal also doesn't take your (pre-order) money and make you wait like many other companies. You pay nothing until you actually place an order for a product that's ready to ship to you.

People don't generally understand this. Then the same people will give hundreds on a Kickstarter, not realizing that the company you just gave your money to, is using your money, as a capital investment. To actual produce their product. And if they never produce the product, you can be SOL. Fractal doesn't do that. Pay nothing until your device is actually available and ready to ship to you.

The way Fractal handles its business is every business owner's dream. Have a product so sought after that you can barely keep it in stock, and when you announce something new, have so many pre-orders, you're sold out for months, if not a year. Even before you can release the product officially. Yes, please. Good for them. And the reason Fractal can be so close to its user base, and supports its products so well, is precisely because of their business model.

I greatly prefer this waitlist over a pre-order. For me, to buy something like an FM9, I have to sell most of my other gear. I would not be able to pre-order, since I need my current gear to get me through until the FM9 is available.

Do you remember any company of any scale unable to meet a fraction of the demand of a new product as it start shipping? I dont.
A certain tiny company called Nvidia and the 30xx series graphics cards come to mind. There are people still waiting their 3080 cards they preordered at launch, 1.5 years ago.

I wish Fractal at least made the waitlist stuff more sensible than mystery times. NeuralDSP was able to provide e.g Thomann that estimated shipping time was in x months and I as a person who ordered one could track it directly on their website. They were also able to ship the product worldwide shortly after release.

All the whining here is becoming more and more unbearable.
In Ukraine, people are dying or lacking the most basic necessities, and some here are wasting all our time with their first-world problems.

By the way: If you really want an FM9 so badly, you can buy one. At Reverb for example.

Walk the walk and don't just talk the talk!

Back
Top Bottom