Helix update. Stacked snapshots - would be great for the FM3!

drnat

Inspired
Just seen one of the updates for the helix, was demonstrated on the HX Stomp.
You can configure one of the buttons to sequentially progress to the next snapshot, in any order you choose. This would be great for a song - to press the same foot switch to take you to the next snapshot required in the song….

Something like this would really enhance the usability of the FM3. If one of the foot switches progressed you onto the next scene that you have configured and needed for a song, that would be great. So could go scene 1 (verse), scene 2 (chorus), scene 1, scene 2, scene 3 (bridge), scene 4 (solo), scene 2, scene 1, scene 2, scene 5 (outro), all from using a single button…..powerful - would this be feasible with the FC controller software With an update?

Having an option to assign something to pressing two buttons at once would really expand the possibilities and remove the need for small external controllers with one-two buttons :)

Sounds interesting but also could be dangerous. If for some reason you accidentally got on the wrong scene, how would you quickly switch to the scene you need to be on?

Sounds interesting but also could be dangerous. If for some reason you accidentally got on the wrong scene, how would you quickly switch to the scene you need to be on?
Hold Function for going backwards maybe.

This seems like a nice feature ...

The biggest issue I see with this would be the tedium of setting it all up - having to remember the exact form of the song, assigning scenes to each, and then going through and executing the programming. Again, neat idea; if you make a wish, I'll upvote, but I don't know if I'd actually use it myself.

Actually, a workaround that you could do currently would be to set up your snapshots from 1-8 in the order that you need them for the song (I assume you'd use 2 or 3 actual different sounds) and use one switch to inc/dec through the scenes.

Just seen one of the updates for the helix, was demonstrated on the HX Stomp.
You can configure one of the buttons to sequentially progress to the next snapshot, in any order you choose. This would be great for a song - to press the same foot switch to take you to the next snapshot required in the song….

Something like this would really enhance the usability of the FM3. If one of the foot switches progressed you onto the next scene that you have configured and needed for a song, that would be great. So could go scene 1 (verse), scene 2 (chorus), scene 1, scene 2, scene 3 (bridge), scene 4 (solo), scene 2, scene 1, scene 2, scene 5 (outro), all from using a single button…..powerful - would this be feasible with the FC controller software With an update?

You can already basically do this as mentioned. I don't have an FC, but I think this is possible with it as well. The other option is to program this through MIDI.

You can already basically do this as mentioned. I don't have an FC, but I think this is possible with it as well. The other option is to program this through MIDI.
I don't know, man; I don't know any way to use one button to progressively cycle through scenes in any order with a single foot switch either on the FC or via MIDI, but I'd be interested to know more ways of doing things, always :D

I see the OP's idea in theory, but you generally want more flexibility on stage for when setlist song order changes, or if you get lost in your scene 'script' you've set up, or if you want to play differently than the pre-determined scene script.

edit - maybe I personally wouldn't use it, but I see how someone might want it. Worth adding to the Wishlist I uppose.

Never seen this demonstrated before, but for a song with no more than 8 sections this would work great…..
The Helix is more tedious to do, but if could do per song would be interesting
May not be as great as first appeared though?

Never seen this demonstrated before, but for a song with no more than 8 sections this would work great…..
The Helix is more tedious to do, but if could do per song would be interesting
May not be as great as first appeared though?
That's my estimation as well. The song can have more than 8 sections, but you couldn't have more than 8 "sounds" (scenes). In the end, though, even the "stacked" snapshots are limited, since if you went from snapshot 1 to 3, and then had snapshot 3 take you to 5, etc., the most you'd be able to use anyway would be 8, since you couldn't suddenly change the behavior of 3 to take you to 6, now; it will always take you to 5 based on Line 6's control center. So it's really not that flexible or brilliant anyway. Still a cool option, just the more I think about it, the more tedious and potential for being problematic it seems lol.

Longshot here, but hear me out:

8 identical presets (using 8 just for the heck of it; could be 3 or 7 or 14). Each preset uses per-preset foot switches. You could program FS1 in each preset to go to the preset you desire for the given part of the song, and that preset would have a per preset FS1 that would go to the next 'part' of the song (really another preset). With the FM3, you could set up FS1 as one song, FS2 as another, and FS3 as a third. It'd be a sort of reverse/meta scene configuration using presets as scenes. Of course, without global blocks, it'd potentially be a nightmare if you needed to make changes to the tones in the same block in 8 presets...

There might be other methods of accomplishing this (or something similar) using layout links...

As an example, you can't go from scene 1 to 3 to 2 to 7 with one footswitch but as I explained above, if you put your scenes in the order you need, it can be done with a single footswitch. This works on the FM3, FM9 and well as both of the FC's. Just use the Scene Manager in Edit to arrange your scenes.

In addition, set switch #1 like this (just reverse the numbers in the other preset) while switch #3 advances your pre-ordered scenes effectively giving you 16 scenes. Very simple really. There's so much flexibility here already.
Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 9.57.31 AM.png

As an example, you can't go from scene 1 to 3 to 2 to 7 with one footswitch
Actually, you can:

(Let's assume preset starts on scene 1)

FS1 Tap: Toggle scenes between 1 and 3, FS1 Hold: Toggle between scenes 2 and 7 :D

Start on scene 1, tap to go to scene 3, hold to go to scene 2, hold to go to scene 7, tap to go to scene 1, etc...

You can always reduce the hold time to make it more akin to a tap, but don't go too low :)

The FM3 has so many clever little tricks...

Back
Top Bottom