FM3 Firmware Version 5.00 beta 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's enough difference between the two units in terms of amp block parameters, setup, I/O, etc., that would make the two units sound different regardless if each had identical FW, let alone using two different FWs. But yeah, I've heard a lot of great things about the new CNFB, but a few concerning reports. I don't ever use any Marshalls, so this wouldn't affect me, but it seems to be mostly Marshall players that are noticing the less desirable aspects of the CNFB modeling.
Compared my tones between axe fx 3 and FM3 with similar firmware revisions, considering the controls I do use, before and could get them close enough to the point of no discernible difference.

Doing this enough (with Cygnus also before fm3 got it -- substantial difference for me between ares and Cygnus, and it mapped well in these comparisons) I'm fairly confident the perceived difference in this case has to do with the new power amp tech.

But it may not be difficult to get my tones where I want them anyway. Cygnus was probably a bigger change where it counts for what I care about. Prepared to tweak a bit though (unless taste changes, which it may).

May take some time before we fm3 users get the new tech on the device. I believe many will be happy with that update though and results.

Last edited:
Cliff “this is more accurate”

Random yokels “tHiS sOuNdS dIfFeReNt It Is BrOkEn”
Broken? Who says it's broken?

Something can be more accurate but still less to one's taste.

But there sure also have beem cases where a mistake is made and "random yokels" spot it, helping the process.

Don't know if there's reason to think so in this case.

Well, I might as well chime in too! I've tried all the firmware up dates, all the presets, all the old and new features and still for the life of me cannot figure out why I don't play better! Dammit Cliff...you promised...well maybe you didn't...6.0 maybe??
Dynamics tab, feedback or gain output compression.. that works for me :p

Dynamics tab, feedback or gain output compression.. that works for me :p
I might try Output 1 & 2 on zero...seriously though I read some of the complaints on this forum (and I understand "wishes" and maybe pointing out "bugs") and think to myself "I wish had could find time to dig deep enough to have all these complaints". I paid around $1400 for mine a while back and it never said "this thing walks on water!"

Well, I might as well chime in too! I've tried all the firmware up dates, all the presets, all the old and new features and still for the life of me cannot figure out why I don't play better! Dammit Cliff...you promised...well maybe you didn't...6.0 maybe??
You apparently aren't playing with enough gain, delay, and reverb. Turn those all up to 10 and you'll basically be a rock god.

Broken? Who says it's broken?

Something can be more accurate but still less to one's taste.

But there sure also have beem cases where a mistake is made and "random yokels" spot it, helping the process.

Don't know if there's reason to think so in this case.
You know I’m also a random yokel 😂. Mostly reminiscing on when Cygnus first launched and too many were too vocal about how everything “sounded worse”

Found a bug that crashes the system:

load this preset. On the unit, click knob B (layout) and go to the amp and hit edit. Page over to the amp "FAS Buttery" and click "enter." Then hit the Page >> button. The screen goes black, a loud pop happens, and the unit crashes. It's done it 4 times in a row, so it's definitely able to be replicated.

EDIT: You don't have to hit "enter" once on the FAS Buttery since it loads as you land on it using the page button. If you hit Page >> from that amp, the unit will crash.

EDIT 2: Even if I remove the amp block, save it, and then reinsert it and, once again, hit the Page >> once i'm landed on the FAS Buttery, it crashes.

EDIT 3: Just ran into another issue where a preset using 68% DSP gives me the warning message and mutes the signal, yet another preset over 80% works just fine. I think I give up for tonight...

Attachments

• Meat FM3 Test.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Found a bug that crashes the system:

load this preset. On the unit, click knob B (layout) and go to the amp and hit edit. Page over to the amp "FAS Buttery" and click "enter." Then hit the Page >> button. The screen goes black, a loud pop happens, and the unit crashes. It's done it 4 times in a row, so it's definitely able to be replicated.

EDIT: You don't have to hit "enter" once on the FAS Buttery since it loads as you land on it using the page button. If you hit Page >> from that amp, the unit will crash.

EDIT 2: Even if I remove the amp block, save it, and then reinsert it and, once again, hit the Page >> once i'm landed on the FAS Buttery, it crashes.

EDIT 3: Just ran into another issue where a preset using 68% DSP gives me the warning message and mutes the signal, yet another preset over 80% works just fine. I think I give up for tonight...

No thanks!!! :)

Weird behaviour on the editor happened twice yesterday. Changed cab in cab block and after hitting enter, the block disappeared from the grid, all the other blocks were there but where the cab block was, only remained a hole 😧, no shunts.
I thought a Missclicked something and accidentally removed it from the grid so I continued.
Happened again while changing drive level on the amp block.
Someone else experienced this?

Last night I was editing a preset I had from firmware version 4, I added an out 2 and in 2 block at the end of the chain to be able to use external looper, everything was fine but suddenly the drive block sounded terrible, I tried another preset with out 2 and in 2 blocks and the same thing the drive block sounded terrible, I restarted the Fm3 and everything went back to normal, has anyone had a similar problem?

Hi I got halfway through this thread tonight. Saw WHERE the plex delay updates were and went downstairs and tried out this plus the new Maxon and “super hi res mode” in reverb. I know what the problem with this is—— after listening through my Yamaha hs5’s. THE FRACTAL FM-3 is MISSING A ZERO AT THE END OF ITS PRICE!

And yes be sure if it cost $10k you’d hear no complaints over the dumble-of-effects unit/box.... FM3.

Last night I was editing a preset I had from firmware version 4, I added an out 2 and in 2 block at the end of the chain to be able to use external looper, everything was fine but suddenly the drive block sounded terrible, I tried another preset with out 2 and in 2 blocks and the same thing the drive block sounded terrible, I restarted the Fm3 and everything went back to normal, has anyone had a similar problem?
It’s called a beta release. B E T A _ R E L E A S E.

Perhaps this is part of the problem for us on the outside, not understanding your work flow. And not that you owe us an explanation of that, by the way. It's none of our business.
But when you say we really had to do "everything else" first, it's confusing for us morons, who don't understand why you "had to."
In other words, I would trade this entire update and everything in it for an improved Virtual Capo. The amp improvements, the block improvements, the UI improvements, all of it, etc. Because my audiences can't tell the difference. But they can tell when the Virtual Capo doesn't work well. Or at least they can tell something is wrong, even if they don't know what it is.
So we ask ourselves, is it that Virtual Capo improvements are impossible to do, or that other things just had priority (had to do "everything else")? Again, you don't have to answer that question. But it is something at least some of us are wondering. And it can be difficult to understand why it is more important to improve a block 3 or 4 percent when a major feature for live gigging is not usable.
I think these are legitimate thoughts to have on a forum that don't deserve other forum members telling them to "buy something else."
Bro, you crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom