Let the price gouging begin….

It’s been bad with gear for awhile. Now it’s everyday toys. People just buy out the shelves at target Walmart etc knowing there are shortages just to try and make a profit
It's now becoming a way of life for many people. Buy at a discount and anticipate the shortage, and sell at a premium. The mindset of supply and demand. And taking advantage of the demand. You can't fault people for doing this, but it takes advantage of people's desires for whatever they want when items are in short supply.

Sorry if a little off topic but...

If you don't shop at Costco, you should. I went through what you are 6 years ago.

Took a bit but I learned.

I spend about $60 a week, and eat (IMHO) like a king. Takes exactly 20 mins freshly prepared daily. 20 min for meat on grill and 6-7 min steamed veggies.

Since you say you are vegetarian, it's only about 10 min from washing it to eating it if you steam.

View attachment 88951

My current apartment doesn’t have a porch or anything to grill on, so I’ve got to get one of those table-top grills like a Foreman or something. For the next 2-3 months I’m pretty much going to be sticking with grilled chicken and veggies as I whip my ass into shape again. I stopped caring as much about my overall health while things were going down the drain, after 3 years of eating GREAT and being the healthiest I’ve ever been. And since Costco is right down the street from my job, I’ll most definitely be doing a lot of shopping there. The more I can stock up and not go to the grocery store, the better!

Congrats on the new apartment, and my condolences on the divorce. Sorry things didn't work out for you.

IIRC, it cost me close to $6-7.5K to furnish my apartment, what with furniture, decor, incidentals, moving expenses, you name it. The kitchen alone what with flatware, silverware, utensils, micro, other stuff cost a boatload.

I was taking care of my elderly Mom for a couple decades following my Dad's passing, and the relationship was tenuous at best. I really needed my own space. Since August 2016, I've lived by myself, and needed to rethink my previous habits of spending, in order to make ends meet. Although I work part-time now, my income is sufficient for my needs. I don't think there's ever been a time when I'd worry about not having enough money for rent or food.

Eventually, Mom sold the family home and moved into the same apartment complex where I live. My feelings were that Mom still needs someone to look after her occasionally, and someone from the immediate family she can depend on for computer, phone, or technical advice.

In order to live within my means, some items I've need to simplify and find more cost-effective ways of accomplishing my goals. The acoustic guitar or effects and amps I used to own made way for the Fractal units, and I've downsized a lot of gear over the years to include the 1-in-1-out rule.

Any gifts I might purchase for myself usually include sharing something with others, when my abilities allow. After I learned to cook for Mom and myself when my Dad passed, I typically would provide home-cooked meals or canned goods to friends, or occasionally ask friends in for a meal. Doing so staved off isolation and boosted my spirits. When Covid hit March of 2020, asking folks in stopped; so I've needed to visit with friends virtually via Zoom each week. I still enjoy prepping a meal for folks who are homebound, or elderly, or disadvantaged.

My immediate neighbor next door has mobility issues and uses a walker most times. Although he isn't the ideal kind of neighbor, he's still a decent guy and enjoys receiving food or desserts. He also enjoys hearing my guitar practice occasionally. I guess that's what helps maintain our friendship; me respecting his limitations and helping out when I can, and him, not ragging on me for my guitar clams, which are more plentiful than quahogs in New England on restaurant menus. :)

That’s quite the uplifting post, man. You’re spreading a lot of positivity and help around in your life that’ll pay itself back in spades!

And yeah, I easily dropped $7K on furnishing the new apartment. It was actually at the recommendation of my therapist; not to blow a ton of money, but to get the place fully furnished ASAP so it did not feel like I was starting over, just changing lanes. He nailed it out of the park on that one and I’m just thankful we had a house to sell because without those funds to start life on my own, I would have been screwed.

I’m fortunate to have a great job that pays me well, not quite as much as I should get considering the amount of time and stress that goes into it, but considering I have zero formal training in my field, I can’t really complain. Especially now that I’m single. I paid my rent for the next 6 months and set aside a down payment for a house next year, so I have a few months to essentially do what I want, financially. That’s a first in my life, for sure.

It’s the little purchases that always screwed me up. $20 here, $30 there. Uber Eats has gotten WAY too much of my money! Especially now that I’m living alone for the first time in 15 years.

I just gotta remember, one month of Uber Eats is an FM3!

Sorry if a little off topic but...

If you don't shop at Costco, you should. I went through what you are 6 years ago.

Took a bit but I learned.

I spend about $60 a week, and eat (IMHO) like a king. Takes exactly 20 mins freshly prepared daily. 20 min for meat on grill and 6-7 min steamed veggies.

Since you say you are vegetarian, it's only about 10 min from washing it to eating it if you steam.

View attachment 88951

I second this. I also get the time crunch and post work-day exhaustion. I just find
a way to power through that because

a) it is healthier
b) financially sustainable
c) rewarding
d) ecologically responsible
e) sets a good example for my son

Oh, and I just bought a Bamboo steamer I am eager to try out. I have grown to love cooking. Next to
music it is my favourite hobby/activity, and I am always looking for ways to up my skills. I think we
spend about $300/month for a household of 2 that includes a ravenous 15 year old man child. :)

I do my best to cook in large portions and then freeze/repurpose leftovers.

I second this. I also get the time crunch and post work-day exhaustion. I just find
a way to power through that because

a) it is healthier
b) financially sustainable
c) rewarding
d) ecologically responsible
e) sets a good example for my son

Oh, and I just bought a Bamboo steamer I am eager to try out. I have grown to love cooking. Next to
music it is my favourite hobby/activity, and I am always looking for ways to up my skills. I think we
spend about $300/month for a household of 2 that includes a ravenous 15 year old man child. :)

I used to love cooking, but after doing it in restaurants for 20+ years and being the only cook at home, I’m a bit burnt out on it. Pun intended. But you’re spot on about the benefits. The other problem is that I’m in Ft. Lauderdale and we have SO MUCH AMAZING food down here that it’s absurd. The more authentic it is, the cheaper it generally is. I got some Mexican food last week and ate for 2 days off of a meal that cost me $7.50!

I used to love cooking, but after doing it in restaurants for 20+ years and being the only cook at home, I’m a bit burnt out on it. Pun intended. But you’re spot on about the benefits. The other problem is that I’m in Ft. Lauderdale and we have SO MUCH AMAZING food down here that it’s absurd. The more authentic it is, the cheaper it generally is. I got some Mexican food last week and ate for 2 days off of a meal that cost me $7.50!

Hello Neighbor, sort of. I am in Jupiter.

Yeah, not a lot of temptation here. Pretty much a food desert, so if I don't
do it then it ain't getting done. :)

I don't envy all that temptation, Rev. A friend in Portland, OR says she spends $1500
a month on food there. Meanwhile, I sustain a household on that.

That’s quite the uplifting post, man. You’re spreading a lot of positivity and help around in your life that’ll pay itself back in spades!

And yeah, I easily dropped $7K on furnishing the new apartment. It was actually at the recommendation of my therapist; not to blow a ton of money, but to get the place fully furnished ASAP so it did not feel like I was starting over, just changing lanes. He nailed it out of the park on that one and I’m just thankful we had a house to sell because without those funds to start life on my own, I would have been screwed.

I’m fortunate to have a great job that pays me well, not quite as much as I should get considering the amount of time and stress that goes into it, but considering I have zero formal training in my field, I can’t really complain. Especially now that I’m single. I paid my rent for the next 6 months and set aside a down payment for a house next year, so I have a few months to essentially do what I want, financially. That’s a first in my life, for sure.
Good things are looking better for you, Rev,

I also have a support network of folks I rely on regards counsel or practical advice. Although sometimes the counsel from folks works for the short-term, and sometimes it goes south, I typically rely on God for the long-term. While it doesn't seem like there's a lot of hope somedays, I can alway rely on God when times get tough. He's always been there, and it's helped me realize that despite what the news media says, there are better times ahead.

Regards my job, it's basically brick & mortar retail health & wellness sales. Because of the pandemic, we've seen substantial growth in our business, and new jobs are plentiful. There's really not a lot of technical work at all, mostly sales register and store maintenance. But it helps pay the bills and keeps things solvent.

What type of work do you do? Paying your first 6 months rent must be a weight off your shoulders...

Last edited:
I believe that's your biggest money-saver when it comes to grocery costs. Too bad we can't freeze fruit from the roadside stands for eating during winter, instead of buying fruit at the stores.

Hello Neighbor, sort of. I am in Jupiter.

Oh right on! We'll have to meet up at a show sometime!

Yeah, not a lot of temptation here. Pretty much a food desert, so if I don't
do it then it ain't getting done. :)

I don't envy all that temptation, Rev. A friend in Portland, OR says she spends $1500
a month on food there. Meanwhile, I sustain a household on that.

I'm not even going to tell you what I've spent on Uber Eats in the last 2.5 months. :D Now that I've settled into my place and I'm putting my life on some kind of track, I'm going to do my best to go back to just the weekends. (PS. I just ordered a pizza)

Good things are looking better for you, Rev,

I also have a support network of folks I rely on regards counsel or practical advice. Although sometimes the counsel from folks works for the short-term, and sometimes it goes south, I typically rely on God for the long-term. While it doesn't seem like there's a lot of hope somedays, I can alway rely on God when times get tough. He's always been there, and it's helped me realize that despite what the news media says, there are better times ahead.

Regards my job, it's basically brick & mortar retail health & wellness sales. Because of the pandemic, we've seen substantial growth in our business, and new jobs are plentiful. There's really not a lot of technical work at all, mostly sales register and store maintenance. But it helps pay the bills and keeps things solvent.

What type of work do you do? Paying your first 6 months rent must be a weight off your shoulders...

I'm a Chief Engineer at a large commercial campus; basically anything that falls under property management and specifically, the repairs/construction of anything on the property. I make decent money doing that, especially considering I have no formal education in it and the job title generally requires quite a bit of experience, I just found an amazing group of people that recognized my work ethic and gave me a shot. They all played a huge role in the last couple months. The money to pay my rent up front came from selling my house, though. I don't make THAT kind of money. :D I just wanted to simplify my life a little bit for a few months and not have to worry about it. I still put what my rent would be in savings to make sure I don't blow it on more guitars!

That just doesn't make sense to me. I hope whoever bought it feels it was worth it to have it without the wait for that price. I hope they are also okay with paying nearly double for it and having no warrantee.

It's really not even worth trying to understand, brother. For some people, money is not a concern, only the end goal. And really, there could be a legit reason for it as well; maybe the dude is a session/touring guitarist and had a rig stuck in transit and this was his best option to make something work for him. While unlikely, ya never know.

It doesn't make sense to you because you probably don't have the same necessity as the buyer, you have a different view of its value for the money, or you are not living in a country without distributor, or in a country where it takes more than one year to arrive to the distributor.

That just doesn't make sense to me. I hope whoever bought it feels it was worth it to have it without the wait for that price. I hope they are also okay with paying nearly double for it and having no warrantee.

Seriously, at that price, not buying an AFxIII and floor controller is a real head scratcher (as noted earlier in the thread). I mean, how much wait time are we even talking about for an FM9 purchase if some people already have received their FM9's? A few weeks maybe? (Admittedly, I don't know the current average expected wait time.)

But then again, if you can afford the inflated price without depriving yourself and family other necessities or racking up needless debt, who are we to judge? ;)

Back
Top Bottom