Announcing the New FM9 Amp Modeler/FX Processor

Sometimes it does indeed seem like a wish list.
The reason why I'm asking is because I'm looking to upgrade from my Boss Gt 100. I've done plenty of research and narrowed it down to the FM3 w/ FC6, up until I saw the release of the FM9 which fits my bill perfectly.

So I added myself on the wish list.

But, if I'm going to wait a long time, I might choose something else...which I don't want to do. And I completely understand...it's a new product, lots of people are ahead of me, chip shortages etc....I get it.

Bad news is that I "might" buy something else if I feel I'm waiting too long.

Good news, is that my "other" choice might have to be a used Axe FX III. Fractal is what I want.

All joking aside, I'm wondering how many will buy a different product because they got tired of waiting for the FM9.....

dinky

The reason why I'm asking is because I'm looking to upgrade from my Boss Gt 100. I've done plenty of research and narrowed it down to the FM3 w/ FC6, up until I saw the release of the FM9 which fits my bill perfectly.

But, if I'm going to wait a long time, I might choose something else...which I don't want to do. And I completely understand...it's a new product, lots of people are ahead of me, chip shortages etc....I get it.

Good news, is that my "other" choice might have to be a used Axe FX III. Fractal is what I want.

All joking aside, I'm wondering how many will buy a different product because they got tired of waiting for the FM9.....

dinky
Well I will have an xl+ for sale when I get the FM9 ;)

dinky
I will continue to use my Axe Fx 3 until I can buy this. Having owned pretty much every other device including the Neural Quad Cortex. Fractal owns them all nothing comes close worth the wait.

I will continue to use my Axe Fx 3 until I can buy this. Having owned pretty much every other device including the Neural Quad Cortex. Fractal owns them all nothing comes close worth the wait.
The competition all make great products but the profound difference is the accuracy of the amps. You can’t go to a line 6 helix and input your real world amp settings and expect it to sound the same. The Axe FX is just rooted in the real world, that’s why I think it’s the best option.

Hi!

After "analyzing" the "FM9 Preset From Scratch" on G66 Youtube Video, this are my "findings" regarding CPU usage:

FM9

- The CPU increase per blocks seems to be the same as FM3;

- Each reverb block (max settings) increases ~ 2% (4% dual reverbs)

- Adding a extra Amp block with a M-plex increases around ~ 2%

- Using dual amps and dual reverb => + 6%

-------------

My FM3

Minimum reverb CPU (economy, density 4) ~ 11%

Max Reverb CPU (cloud type, ultra quality, density 8) ~ CPU 35%

------------

Conclusions:

1- If I have already a reverb block in my FM3 preset, the SAME preset in the FM9 would have around 9% to 33% more CPU available.

2- Using dual amps and dual reverbs I would have 5% to 29% more CPU available in the FM9.

3- Considering that my actual preset has a cloud type reverb (economy and 8 density) with around 17% CPU usage, so
I would have ~ 11% more available CPU on the FM9 compared to my actual preset when using 2 reverbs on maximum and two amps?

Is that correct?

Thanks!

Have to admit I’m very excited for this but I haven’t owned any new product since the Axe FX II. I’m really concerned about being able to read the scribble slips with my older eyes especially during the day. I already have problems with my Helix in certain situations and I think their strips are bigger? Can anyone comment about the ability to read the strips for older people without the use of a magnifying lens? That would be weird to have to mount some contraption above the unit just to read the print. Maybe I could also mount a cane holder, a denture cleaner and good hearing aid connection while I’m at it. 😉
Honestly I never ever bothered about what was written on slips, strips or stickers. Once the thing is programmed I know what is under my feet for each button and patch I frequently use and that's it.

Based on the user putting the fm3 kitchen sink preset into his fm9 above it seems like the fm9 is def more powerful by far than the fm3 with or without reverb/delay blocks correct?

If the FM9 has 2x the processing power of the FM3 as has been stated, then that seems inconsistent to me...
Thanks for the reply. Maybe I'm wrong. But if there is a dedicated DSP on the FM9 for 2 reverbs (~70%) plus an Amp (~10%?), it seems reasonable assume that it represents almost the same effective CPU of the FM3.

Even if I am correct, It seems a good improvement for me.

The way I am viewing the CPU is:-

FM3 - 2 CPUS = for all audio blocks. CPU usage is reported across both CPUs.

FM9 - 4 CPUs = 1 CPU for Amp and Cab, 1 CPU for Reverbs, 2 CPU for all other blocks. CPU usage is only reporting usage for the 2 general block CPUs.

So if you preset has an amp/cab/reverb only then there will be a big difference in reported CPU usage. If the preset is mainly compressors, pitch, drives, modulation, then they will be showing similar CPU usage. So FM9 has double the CPU capacity, but CPU usage is not being reported in the same way.

Back
Top Bottom