Is there a way to hear the raw audio going computer -> usb -> fm3 -> headphones?

wwl3

I live in an apartment, so I use the headphones a lot when I record. So I'm listening to the other parts that I've already recorded as I play, but it seems like the other parts get processed differently by the fm3 depending on what preset I'm using. In some cases I can't hear the bass at all. Is there a way to hear the computer audio in my headphones through the fm3, but unprocessed by the fm3? Just straight raw, unchanged by the fm3 preset? Thanks

I live in an apartment, so I use the headphones a lot when I record. So I'm listening to the other parts that I've already recorded as I play, but it seems like the other parts get processed differently by the fm3 depending on what preset I'm using. In some cases I can't hear the bass at all. Is there a way to hear the computer audio in my headphones through the fm3, but unprocessed by the fm3? Just straight raw, unchanged by the fm3 preset? Thanks
Just set the FM3 as the computer's output device.

@Rex I am using USB. The fm3 is set as the computer's output device. I dont recall doing any setup for USB but it's been a while. I may have copied one of the outputs to also go to the headphone output, if that would have done it? @chris is there a setting that I can change to put this back on default so that I dont hear the computer processed by the fm3 preset?

Last edited:
The headphone output is permanently connected to Output 1. Whatever goes to Output 1 also goes to the headphones.

Do all presets behave this way, or just one?

The headphone output is permanently connected to Output 1. Whatever goes to Output 1 also goes to the headphones.

Do all presets behave this way, or just one?

All of them change the computer audio. On some of them I can hear bass, on others I cant. Each preset changes the audio in different ways

All of them change the computer audio. On some of them I can hear bass, on others I cant. Each preset changes the audio in different ways
Make sure you're using usb channels 1/2 for output in your DAW, not channels 3/4. If you use usb channels 1/2, the computer output will be unprocessed and will be routed the FM3 headphones and output 1.

Make sure you're using usb channels 1/2 for output in your DAW, not channels 3/4. If you use usb channels 1/2, the computer output will be unprocessed and will be routed the FM3 headphones and output 1.

I'm getting something through usb 1/2, the EQ is just different through the FM3 than on the computer. If I go to setup > I/O > USB and crank the USB 1/2 db up to +20 db I can baaarely hear the bass track when I have it playing solo. But the other tracks, guitar for example, are way louder. When I listen through computer speakers the guitar and bass are the same volume. I think the preset I'm on is EQing the bass down. Is there a setting for the computer/usb audio through the FM3 to not be EQ'd etc by the preset? Just give it to me raw

Is there a setting for the computer/usb audio through the FM3 to not be EQ'd etc by the preset? Just give it to me raw
by default, computer audio via USB is just added to the Out 1 signal, not EQ'd or affected by the preset, as long as USB 1/2 are selected for the Computer Output.

if changing Presets on the FM3 are actually changing the computer playback, then something is not set correctly.

can you show a screen shot of the computer setup showing the FM3 USB selected?

i'm not at the gear now, but there's a Input 1 menu item in Setup that can choose Analog, USB, etc. make sure that's NOT set to USB because that makes USB go through the preset grid.

please show us some screen shots of the USB setup in your DAW or computer audio, as well as the Setup > Audio page (should be viewable in FM3-Edit).

I'm getting something through usb 1/2, the EQ is just different through the FM3 than on the computer. If I go to setup > I/O > USB and crank the USB 1/2 db up to +20 db I can baaarely hear the bass track when I have it playing solo. But the other tracks, guitar for example, are way louder. When I listen through computer speakers the guitar and bass are the same volume. I think the preset I'm on is EQing the bass down. Is there a setting for the computer/usb audio through the FM3 to not be EQ'd etc by the preset? Just give it to me raw
In that case, yes, the problem is you're not sending the audio to the correct usb channels. All your tracks should go to usb channels 1/2, not just the guitar track. In other words, in your DAW, you need to set the output for each track to usb 1/2.

can you show a screen shot of the computer setup showing the FM3 USB selected?

please show us some screen shots of the USB setup in your DAW or computer audio, as well as the Setup > Audio page (should be viewable in FM3-Edit).
I have the windows output set to Speakers (FM3 Device). I dont see a way to specify if that goes to usb 1/2 or 3/4? I'm also setting the Master output of my daw to go to FM3 Device.

Input 1 of audio setup is Analog. Does anything else out here jump out at you as being incorrect?
audiosettings.jpg

windowsouput.jpg dont mind that Activate Windows thing :grimacing::sweatsmile:
daw.jpg

In that case, yes, the problem is you're not sending the audio to the correct usb channels. All your tracks should go to usb channels 1/2, not just the guitar track. In other words, in your DAW, you need to set the output for each track to usb 1/2.
Hmm, all my tracks go to Master, and then I'm selecting for Master to go to Speakers (FM3 Device) so I'm not doing anything differently on a per track basis. There's also nowhere for me to select if it's going to usb 1/2 vs usb 3/4, it's just FM3

I have the windows output set to Speakers (FM3 Device). I dont see a way to specify if that goes to usb 1/2 or 3/4? I'm also setting the Master output of my daw to go to FM3 Device.

Input 1 of audio setup is Analog. Does anything else out here jump out at you as being incorrect?
View attachment 87324

View attachment 87325 dont mind that Activate Windows thing :grimacing::sweatsmile:
View attachment 87326

Hmm, all my tracks go to Master, and then I'm selecting for Master to go to Speakers (FM3 Device) so I'm not doing anything differently on a per track basis. There's also nowhere for me to select if it's going to usb 1/2 vs usb 3/4, it's just FM3
thanks for those pics.

the FM3 looks setup correctly. but in the DAW, there usually is an area for more in-depth settings where you can choose exactly what USB channels to use.

there is a possibility that for "Speakers (FM3 Device)" in those in-depth settings, USB 3/4 are chosen. so on the track view that you show, you're selecting the right thing, but underlying that, the wrong thing is chosen.

that's really the only other thing i can think of. USB 1/2 goes directly to Out 1 of the FM3, and not through the preset Grid. using USB 3/4 would be the only thing that causes that with your current FM3 settings.

i don't know Sonar, but in other DAWs, it's in DAW Preferences, Audio, or something like that. Studio One for example has a Grid that you click and choose from the available USB, and Cubase has a list of all USB channels, etc.

try and find that in Sonor and see if it's set to 3/4 by mistake.

I can't see your track output assignments, but incorrect assignments would explain what you're hearing. If different tracks sound different, then it stands to reason they are being routed differently. Check your audio preferences for the available usb channels. And make sure you're not monitoring input. At this point, you're asking Sonar questions, not FM3 questions :), and Sonar has been obsolete for many years, so it may not be easy to find someone who currently uses it who can help you with specific instructions.

At least in Pro Tools, there's a "setup" column in which you select the "playback engine". I have two sources... so if I want the FM3 I select it there... as well as selecting it as the output on each track. If you have another playback engine... like a digital I/O or something... disconnect it.

Not sure if you're Mac or Windows... but Windows doesn't handle multiple output devices at once very well. I know there's a way around it but I haven't gotten around to sorting that out.

Sean Meredith-Jones

@chris @GlennO Thanks for the help narrowing down the issue. Unfortunately I'm not seeing any settings in Sonar that would specify usb 1/2. My issue isnt only from Sonar though. If I play a youtube video through the FM3 I have the same problem where some frequencies are softer or louder than others, the same as in Sonar. Is there maybe a windows setting? Also if it matters, I never hear delay/reverb on the computer audio, it's only changing the volume levels of different frequencies, if that makes a difference to what could be causing it. Anyway, thanks for your time

@chris @GlennO Thanks for the help narrowing down the issue. Unfortunately I'm not seeing any settings in Sonar that would specify usb 1/2. My issue isnt only from Sonar though. If I play a youtube video through the FM3 I have the same problem where some frequencies are softer or louder than others, the same as in Sonar. Is there maybe a windows setting? Also if it matters, I never hear delay/reverb on the computer audio, it's only changing the volume levels of different frequencies, if that makes a difference to what could be causing it. Anyway, thanks for your time
Check your Global Graphic EQ in Setup > Audio.

hmm. so this is a bit confusing from what i've read.

it seems that different presets affect the computer signal differently, yet things like delays and reverbs that are in the preset aren't added to the computer signal.

i don't know how the computer signal could run "partially" through a preset. so i have to think the computer audio isn't actually running through any part of the preset at all.

if USB 3/4 were selected for the computer send, then it would definitely run through the entire preset, with the current FM3 Setup settings, including delays etc whatever is in the preset.

since delays aren't being added, i have to think that USB 3/4 are not selected.

i think we have to hone in on exactly how your computer audio is being affected.

are you absolutely positive that different presets change the computer audio playback? i've never heard of that happening as described.

what happens if you pull up a completely blank preset? does computer audio play at all? if it does, that means computer audio is not being sent through the preset at all in any case. if we can get a solid answer on that, we can stop worrying about USB 3/4 or anything Preset related.

Back
Top Bottom