Best budget FRFR for FM3

ShweatyMaf

Hello everyone!

I am currently looking into purchasing an FM3 and an FRFR speaker for home and small gig use. I mainly play at home and at a few friends houses but would like to play some small bars/venues soon. Full disclosure, I am extremely new to the high end modeling world so all of this is very new to me.

I have been looking into the Headrush 112 but I have seen some people recommend the QSC CP12 as well. I would like to spend under $500 if possible but would maybe consider spending a little bit more.

I know that these things can be personal preference but are there and pros to choosing the CP12 over the Headrush or viceversa?

If anyone can let me know which one they would prefer that would be awesome. I am also open to any other brands that are as good or better in this price range. I am only looking into purchasing one speaker at this time but possibly a second one down the road.

Thank you!

Hello everyone!

I am currently looking into purchasing an FM3 and an FRFR speaker for home and small gig use. I mainly play at home and at a few friends houses but would like to play some small bars/venues soon. Full disclosure, I am extremely new to the high end modeling world so all of this is very new to me.

I have been looking into the Headrush 112 but I have seen some people recommend the QSC CP12 as well. I would like to spend under $500 if possible but would maybe consider spending a little bit more.

I know that these things can be personal preference but are there and pros to choosing the CP12 over the Headrush or viceversa?

If anyone can let me know which one they would prefer that would be awesome. I am also open to any other brands that are as good or better in this price range. I am only looking into purchasing one speaker at this time but possibly a second one down the road.

Thank you!
I spent close to the same amount for the FRFR as I did for the FM3.
Speakers are critical to getting great tones. Its not a place I would ever skimp on…

As said here, be careful…speaker is fundamental to not get muddy tones, etc…out of those two I would go with an active QSC like the K12.2 or even K10.2 (has more resources and EQ options).

I think that the point being made is the best value in the price range and I'm sure the Headrush ticks all the boxes in what ShweatyMaf is looking for - you don't have to spend mega bucks to get a good result and the Headrest out performed a cabinet I spent double the $$$$ on.
As players we may be more inspired by the leading brands but in reality the general audience wouldn't have a clue.

I also think you will be happy with the 112. With the 12” speaker you will be able to turn it up at a gig without having to change anything on your presets. (Except maybe dial out some low end)

OP, I have a used a few PA speakers, and the Yamaha DXR12 is a lot better than the cheaper ones. Less boxy sounding, and less extreme highs and lows.

A pair of Headrush 108 are reasonable sounding and can get loud enough for small gigs or personal monitors. They’re pretty portable too. I’d recommend two of them over the 112. Having a pair means you can do stereo which is a good thing when you want to fill a room.
I second this, but make sure to get speaker poles to elevate the speaker to head level/ off the ground. A common complaint of the 108 is a boomy low end, but it's much better when raised off the ground.

A pair of Headrush 108 are reasonable sounding and can get loud enough for small gigs or personal monitors. They’re pretty portable too. I’d recommend two of them over the 112. Having a pair means you can do stereo which is a good thing when you want to fill a room.
+1 regards the FRFR108s.

I've got a stereo pair atop speaker stands L/R my workstation...the modulation effects shine through with stereo...good value for the money, flat response, accepts XLR inputs for FM3 or Axe FX...expandable with XLR/¼" connection to satellite speakers...

I like the Headrush 108's as well, I use them for rehearsals but they would be fine for gigging as well, very loud if necessary. I also recommend Celestions' F12-X200's but you' have to buy cabinets for them or build one yourself (they have a .pdf out there with a plan for the build). There are other inexpensive cabinet options out there as well from companies like Seismic Audio and others on Reverb (search for empty cabinets). The Celestions in stereo are fuller and can be louder than the Headrush speakers but I love the portability of the Headrush speakers.

I second this, but make sure to get speaker poles to elevate the speaker to head level/ off the ground. A common complaint of the 108 is a boomy low end, but it's much better when raised off the ground.
A common complaint of speakers on the floor is boominess, it’s not specific to the 108s. Uncouple the speaker from the floor and the sound should improve, they don’t need to be at head level.

I spent close to the same amount for the FRFR as I did for the FM3.
Speakers are critical to getting great tones. Its not a place I would ever skimp on…
The more budget option was just to see how I like the Fractal world since I have never owned a high end modeler before and then plan to upgrade down the road. I would be spending more money overall if I did this so I do see the point of just spending a little more from the start and getting a better speaker. Also that way I could get the "best" sound possible out of the FM3 even though the Headrush is supposed to be a great unit for the money.

I have seen a ton of people recommend the OSC K12.2 so it seems like that would be a safe option even though it's more expensive. But more money spend generally means a better tone/sound and if I'm already spending that much on the FM3 then what is another $500 to get something that I know I would not regret.

Thank you for your input.

OP, I have a used a few PA speakers, and the Yamaha DXR12 is a lot better than the cheaper ones. Less boxy sounding, and less extreme highs and lows.

The upper part of my price range would be the Yamaha DXR12 ($799 on Sweetwater) and the QSC K12.2 ($849 on Sweetwater).

Do you know if the QSC would be worth getting over the Yamaha for only $50 more? Seeing as how you own the Yamaha you may prefer that speaker since you have used it personally but thought I would ask for the heck of it.

The more budget option was just to see how I like the Fractal world since I have never owned a high end modeler before and then plan to upgrade down the road. I would be spending more money overall if I did this so I do see the point of just spending a little more from the start and getting a better speaker. Also that way I could get the "best" sound possible out of the FM3 even though the Headrush is supposed to be a great unit for the money.

I have seen a ton of people recommend the OSC K12.2 so it seems like that would be a safe option even though it's more expensive. But more money spend generally means a better tone/sound and if I'm already spending that much on the FM3 then what is another $500 to get something that I know I would not regret.

Thank you for your input.
To get your toes wet just invest in good headphones. They have great bang for the buck compared to speakers and you can use them for years, even when you have a set of good monitors and/or FRFR speakers. Plus they work great when practicing quietly.

if your gonna spend $799 hunt down a used CLR, otherwise the headrush is good for the $, you just need to be selective with IR and low/hi cuts
What is the full name of the CLR that I should be looking into? Sorry, I am super new at this stuff!

The upper part of my price range would be the Yamaha DXR12 ($799 on Sweetwater) and the QSC K12.2 ($849 on Sweetwater).

Do you know if the QSC would be worth getting over the Yamaha for only $50 more? Seeing as how you own the Yamaha you may prefer that speaker since you have used it personally but thought I would ask for the heck of it.

The K12\K10's are crazy loud! I have used them for a few gigs. A lot of guys like them, but the high end can be really ice picky for your ears. You will find a few threads on how using some some tape over the tweeter to mellow it out.

Back
Top Bottom