Multiple Presets For Multiple Guitars?? Yes or No?

la szum

Axe-Master
Is anyone out there in Fractal-land using multiple presets that are essentially the same, albeit with some
tweaks, to accommodate the different tonal characteristics of different guitars? I am feeling like this is going
to become a necessity for me over time. My PRS 245 tuned to drop C# simply doesn't sound the same as
my Charvel DK24 tuned to standard on the same presets. Sure I can make them work, and have. Just wondering
if guitar-centric presetting is a thing others are doing---or do you just do a quick Amp Block tweak of the BMT
to accomodate a guitar swap in the moment?

I haven’t gone down that rabbit hole yet with the FM3, but I do have a bunch of performances in my Kemper that are guitar specific. However, I don’t have duplicates that are simply tweaked for the different guitars. I have more modern stuff going on for some guitars, and vintage stuff for others.

Filter or PEQ. Channel A for Strat, Channel B for Les Paul.
Or Same idea but Bypassed for Les Paul on for Strat.
AustinBuddy uses the Filter in many of his presets & scene 1-4 is for LesPaul & 5-8 for Strats.

Hadn't thought of using Scenes or Channels for different guitars. Thanks. :)

I personally prefer to create presets for particular tones but not for different guitars. By selecting a different guitar, I'm wanting the character of the guitar, whether it's the pickups, tuning or scale, to come through. Granted, there are cases where output differences create an issue that needs to be addressed, but nothing that a different scene or Filter block (Null, increase Level) can't fix without affecting the tone.

Yeah, because I don't approach it like I would if I only had 1 amp to play from and the guitars sound best when they're played through a preset that was dialed in with that guitar. That said, I do sometimes layer two different guitars using the same preset and it just enough/not too much of a difference to work out realy well in a recording.

I deleted all the factory presets after checking them out, I think I'm up to around 175 or so presets of my own, but that includes Austin Buddy's bass pack. The presets I atually use are only like 2-3 regularly, but when I record and make a new one for a song, I just keep it in there because more is more.

I quickly re-dial a preset for the guitar I pick up. My three most commonly used tools are probably:

1. OUT LEVEL of the input block.
2. Pre EQ in the amp block, esp. Definition.
3. Post EQ in the amp block.

I use my vintage style strat for stratty style tones so of course build those patches using my strat.

The patches I've built with my strat don't sound good with my humbucker guitars (sg) and vise versa.

Last edited:
Yes. I call them my Kitchen Sink presets and they are the basis for all of my song specific tones. Basically the same amps and effects with minor tweaks to suit the instrument. That way all of my layouts are consistent. That said, you have to find what works for you. We all have different workflows. Good luck!

Yup. That's what I am aiming for. I want the guitar's character to shine, and not
make everything sound the same, which, apparently, I excel at. ;)
This, in theory.
But actually, I most often don't like my strat tones through a rig dialed for humbuckers, and vice versa.
Strats are tricky. On a good day, there's nothing like em, but you gotta set up for it, or they're obnoxious, esp bridge or middle pickups by theselves.
Which clearly means I'm Doing It Wrong, but apparently I can't help it.

I personally prefer to create presets for particular tones but not for different guitars. By selecting a different guitar, I'm wanting the character of the guitar, whether it's the pickups, tuning or scale, to come through. Granted, there are cases where output differences create an issue that needs to be addressed, but nothing that a different scene or Filter block (Null, increase Level) can't fix without affecting the tone.
Same here.
Use same presets with different guitars and may sometimes only adjust gain.

I quickly re-dial a preset for the guitar I pick up. My three most commonly used tools are probably:

1. OUT LEVEL of the input block.
2. Pre EQ in the amp block, esp. Definition.
3. Post EQ in the amp block.
Typically, what would you add in the input block? For say a Strat and LP? AB uses a Filter Block. I like your idea.

Nope. I switch guitars because I want things to sound different because I changed the guitar. I have a filter block that'll do stepped boosts if I need more level. I put it near the end of my signal chain.

This, in theory.
But actually, I most often don't like my strat tones through a rig dialed for humbuckers, and vice versa.
Strats are tricky. On a good day, there's nothing like em, but you gotta set up for it, or they're obnoxious, esp bridge or middle pickups by theselves.
Which clearly means I'm Doing It Wrong, but apparently I can't help it.
Love hate with strats. Nothing sounds like them for sure. I hate the location of the pickup selector switch. Tend to hit it sometimes. Love the neck sound but hate the volume drop as opposed to the bridge pickup. Oh well. Lol.

Nope. I switch guitars because I want things to sound different because I changed the guitar. I have a filter block that'll do stepped boosts if I need more level. I put it near the end of my signal chain.

Do you have ANY presets/tones you only use with a specific guitar? Just curious. :)

Back
Top Bottom