FM3 Firmware Version 3.03 beta 1

Everyone please just chill. If 3.03B scares you? Then roll back. It’s worked fine for me even for my set coming up this weekend. Heck I’d run a Cygnus beta if i got it the day before with no fear. Since part of 3.03 got us closer to AxeIii i personally would just roll it all into 4.0 and end it there. Cygnus is the future and ares doesn’t need. 3.03 of fractal decides it doesn’t. They are not here to serve us. We are here to be in this wild tone journey with them and be grateful for what they do.

New to the Fractal world and calling on those with experience
I've got a couple of gigs coming up soon and I recently made the leap from Helix to FM3. I had a problem with output 2 sounding like it had a ring modulator on it if any output eq was used. Looking that up on here suggested using 3.03 beta fixes that and sure enough it did.

I know it's a beta release but are Fractal beta releases normally pretty stable? Reading on here suggests 3.03b is stable? First gigs in 18 months and really want them to go well so if theres a risk, maybe I should roll back to the last non beta release?

I've got a couple of gigs coming up soon and I recently made the leap from Helix to FM3. I had a problem with output 2 sounding like it had a ring modulator on it if any output eq was used. Looking that up on here suggested using 3.03 beta fixes that and sure enough it did.

I know it's a beta release but are Fractal beta releases normally pretty stable? Reading on here suggests they are. First gigs in 18 months and really want them to go well so if theres a risk, maybe I should roll back to the last non beta release?
I have had 2 or so freezes and only while using edit and messing around with playing at the same time. Otherwise I’ve used it consistently live every Sunday since it’s been out and unless there’s a Cygnus beta for me to use this weekend I plan to use 3.03b for our even larger night of worship we’re doing this Sunday. I’ll say you should be fine but it’s up to your own personal comfort level

That’s what they did on FX3, so it’s very likely we’ll see the same thing on the FM3.

When? When they’re convinced it’s ready.

Well, they'll eventually release the next firmware version, but the non-beta version of the current Beta 3.03 seems to be what he's asking about and at this point I'd say that won't happen. Instead the Cygnus beta will probably be next.

I know it's a beta release but are Fractal beta releases normally pretty stable? Reading on here suggests 3.03b is stable? First gigs in 18 months and really want them to go well so if theres a risk, maybe I should roll back to the last non beta release?
I also came to Fractal FM3 from Helix. Honestly, much prefer the FM3. Sounds much more “real” for lack of a better term.

I’ve been gigging my FM3 with 3.03 beta since it came out. Probably a dozen gigs now. I usually stay on one preset, so I don’t experience the Scribble strip disappearance issue. It’s been really solid with zero freezes. I wouldn’t hesitate to go beta in your shoes.

Don’t flame me here, but I have to wonder how many leaps forward in tone there can possibly be left. In other words, the fractal modeling is already so realistic, how much better can it get? It this point I’m saying updates must be incremental, granular improvements. And yet, people are saying Cygnus is a huge improvement. I mean, if we are measuring in .00001 increments than a 1% jump is huge I guess 🤣
I’m not complaining, I think it’s great that they keep making additions and improvements. I’m just trying to keep my expectations in check.
FWIW, when I first updated to Cygnus on my Axe III, I didn't really notice a difference. My stance had been that it sounded great when I bought it in 2018, and it sounds great now. Then, when I got my FM3 a week ago, I directly ported over my presets from my FM3 and was immediately smacked in the face by how how different Ares sounds/feels from Cygnus. I had to do some major tweaking to bring my FM3's presets to the same level of life & feel that I was getting on my Axe III. I think I may have not noticed the improvement at first because I'm so biased; I KNOW it's going to sound good every time I turn it on, so I wasn't surprised that - wait for it - it sounded good lol!

This is all to say that even I - someone who doesn't generally notice stuff like this - notice the difference in tone & (more importantly) feel. You're in for a treat. Also, see? No one's flamin' you at all; you inspired lots of good discussion.

The next step in realism is tube failures.
See, you joke, but this was my suggestion a long time ago; to 'gamify' the Axe Fx. Like, There should be a checkbox that you can choose that will slowly degrade the components over time (and you can choose the timescale). For instance, say you (like me) only use the JPIIc+. You check this box and after a few months, you get a popup that tells you a power tube is blown. Then you go in and swap them (even for the same kind) and suddenly your amp comes to life again, just like replacing the tubes. Or, hell; even add "tube age" as a parameter; just like those weird folks that like the sound of dead strings or dying 9V batteries in their fuzz boxes, I'm sure there are people that prefer well-worn tubes.

I guess there's a LOT of directions @FractalAudio could go to make this better; more realistic or - hell, why not? - more fun!

Back
Top Bottom