Lexicon PCM70: Pan & Circular Delays + TC1210 Chorus

Ok but the block cant be loaded in the megatap or ten tap delay
I had an epiphany. The Pan Delays are simple enough that the mono tape type in the regular delay block could handle it. I've attached the block here. It should work and sound just the same.

EDIT: See OP.

Last edited:
I had an epiphany. The Pan Delays are simple enough that the mono tape type in the regular delay block could handle it. I've attached the block here. It should work and sound just the same.
Thank you very much.. Too kind.. I ll try as soon as possible

I've been looking for these kinds of delays for years and here they are. Just got out of my third surgery in two weeks so I'm not quite set to try them out yet, but when I feel up to it, they are my first priority.

Come to think of it, I think the mere thought of having these delays will hasten the healing process.
Maybe my doctor will prescribe a dose of FM3?

Cheers,

Mats N

Last edited:
I've been looking for these kinds of delays for years and here they are. Just got of of my third surgery in two weeks so I'm not quite set to try them out yet, but when I feel up to it, they are my first priority.

Come to think of it, I think the mere thought of having these delays will hasten the healing process.
Maybe my doctor will prescribe a dose of FM3?

Cheers,

Mats N
Hey man, hope your medical stuff settles down, hope you're ok. Wishing you the best!

First and foremost, a huge thanks to MrB, who has sent me a plethora of clips, and also has taken the time to measure his PCM70 with a pulse generator. He supplied me with more high quality clips and numbers than I could ever dream of. Shout out to Michael Nielsen and @2112 too.

Ok, here are the details:
  • The PCM70 is quite a wonky unit. There is a big difference between the left/right outputs, and it changes with preset configurations and panning of the voices. The outputs have a +-1.5 dB margin of error according to the service manual (which is a lot). From measuring 4 units, it's always the right channel that is lower in volume. Listening carefully to soundboard recordings of Lukather, his units appear to have this "issue" as well. I suspect it's partly due to tolerances, and also the summing circuit at outputs that enable mono operation from one jack. Anyway, I've matched this behaviour to 0.01 dB accuracy across both presets.
  • The diffusion in the Axe-Fx sounds quite different to the Lexicon. The diffusion parameter in the PCM70 is not a mix control, but a time control. The diffusion in the PCM70 causes the actual delay times to drift. I figured out a neat way to capture this.
The presets have been converted to multitap delay blocks. Put them in your "Documents\Fractal Audio\Axe-Edit III\blocks" folder. They are meant to be used in parallel to the dry signal patch. Attached is also the pan delay for the regular delay block.

Bonus: TC1210 for the multitap delay block, use in series.

Can you show a screen shot on what it looks like in axe edit? Thank you

I've got to hand it to you that core tone is one of my favorites. You really dialed the VH4 and those cabs in perfectly. All I did was shunt the compressor, back the gain down to 6.5 & bypassed the delays.
Ah really cool! I was pretty new to the Axe at the time and hadn't used that preset since this thread, still sounds killer! :)

Are you trying to convert the blocks to another unit than the Axe-Fx III? I'd recommend using Fractool then.
No im using axe fx 3. Just thought it would be easier if you showed a picture on what it looks like in axe edit instead of answering a bunch of questions.

Back
Top Bottom