Headrush FRFR 112's in stereo

I have a Headrush 108. At first I thought it sounded great but after playing with another guitarist with a Katana 50 it sounded too boxy in comparison, even after equing.
That Katana aint no joke for solid-state, agree on the Headrush cab, sold mine for the Laney 2x12

They sound like garbage to me. Why would you buy a high end digital system and listen to it with these? It's like having a Dumble head and a Marshall MG cab. If you want small a quiet good quality studio monitors are the way to go.

I was using the FRFR12s in stereo with my axefx3. They sounded decent for the price. Then I built two celestion spec cabs for the f12-x200. Man there is no comparison. I only use the headrush for backing tracks and drum machine now. Best upgrade I've made.

I was using the FRFR12s in stereo with my axefx3. They sounded decent for the price. Then I built two celestion spec cabs for the f12-x200. Man there is no comparison. I only use the headrush for backing tracks and drum machine now. Best upgrade I've made.
My point.

Honestly tho...it didn't cost much more to build the loaded cabs and buy a cheap stereo amp. Maybe 100 usd. Wish I would have done that instead of buying the headrush cabs. However, owning both I was able to A/B them...
Sounds cool. I’ld like to try it.

It's going to be hard to get rid of these Headrush 112s... shipping costs would be $$$
Put them on craigslist or marketplace... someone will buy them. I decided to keep mine to play backing tracks and to take camping. They compliment my yamaha hs50m monitors great. I just prefer to play thru the f12-x200 vs monitors/headrush.

Put them on craigslist or marketplace... someone will buy them. I decided to keep mine to play backing tracks and to take camping. They compliment my yamaha hs50m monitors great. I just prefer to play thru the f12-x200 vs monitors/headrush.
Good idea. I have them on poles and they sound great to me, because I've never had FRFR or fractal amp modeling. I use them in stereo with 2 JBL Mark II I got when I was trying out the FM3 not knowing what I was getting into (full Fractal addiction). I know those aren't as good of monitor as the Yamaha.

Getting the FRFRs and playing at louder levels made feedback noticeable with the FM3 when using a tube driver cranked up on a clean amp (3 knob on clean Marshall or Mesa Lonestar like when Andy Timmons tone chasing) I get crazy feedback if I am not turned a certain way with my guitar's bridge pickup selected. It's not microphonic, it's with any of my guitars (and I can't talk into it). Coil splitting and bridge with the neck pickup is quiet with no feedback. This is not cool feedback, it's an annoying loud hum, it is frustrating at any kind of usable volume. Is there something else I can do besides find the place in the room to stand? Thanks and take care everyone!
I've got my near field monitors directly in front of me. I got the headrush FRFR12s hanging from the ceiling 6ft left/right from center to my sides. My celestion f12-x200 cabs are on the floor directly below the headrush on each side. My guitar only comes thru the celestions. I did however use this same setup minus the celestions to play thru. I had zero feedback issues even at high volume.

Getting the FRFRs and playing at louder levels made feedback noticeable with the FM3 when using a tube driver cranked up on a clean amp (3 knob on clean Marshall or Mesa Lonestar like when Andy Timmons tone chasing) I get crazy feedback if I am not turned a certain way with my guitar's bridge pickup selected. It's not microphonic, it's with any of my guitars (and I can't talk into it). Coil splitting and bridge with the neck pickup is quiet with no feedback. This is not cool feedback, it's an annoying loud hum, it is frustrating at any kind of usable volume. Is there something else I can do besides find the place in the room to stand? Thanks and take care everyone!
You’re hijacking the thread; this should be a separate question for a different thread.

Feedback and hum are very different things. Which is it? Or is it both? Create a new thread and clarify in your question.

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/..._and_levels#Tweeter_squeal_from_FRFR_speakers

Last edited:
I've got my near field monitors directly in front of me. I got the headrush FRFR12s hanging from the ceiling 6ft left/right from center to my sides. My celestion f12-x200 cabs are on the floor directly below the headrush on each side. My guitar only comes thru the celestions. I did however use this same setup minus the celestions to play thru. I had zero feedback issues even at high volume.
Thanks. Too many new things at once for pedal-tube amp guy. I get 6 feet back from the Headrushes and it stops. Duh. Sorry for being off-topic, just wondered if someone knew off the top of their head, and thank you.

Thanks. Too many new things at once for pedal-tube amp guy. I get 6 feet back from the Headrushes and it stops. Duh. Sorry for being off-topic, just wondered if someone knew off the top of their head, and thank you.
It's all good. Happy to help. I read somewhere when using FRFRs you need the distance because it's got two separate drivers. Studio monitors are near field so it's not an issue. This is my understanding anyway and seems to work.

Amazing how money makes you like things.
I take all paid YouTube reviews with a grain of salt. I prefer the ones where it's just some random dude that bought a product and is demoing it. Always seems more genuine to me. You can usually tell a company is just trying to push product when multiple videos start showing up across different channels all at once. It's really starting to get ridiculous imo

^^Yup. I am getting more than jaded, and am honestly pretty burnt out
on the whole guitar scene on Youtube/social media.

Back
Top Bottom