Tip of the hat to FracTool

Hi all,

Just thought I'd give a big shout out to @AlGrenadine for his wonderful Fractool.

With all the Cygnus updates, one of the tedious chores is loading a preset, looking at the amp setting, trying to remember them, then resetting the amp, then settign the (authentic) controls back to what they were.... Well...
  1. Backup your presets,
  2. Open Fractool and Choose the 'Amp Resetter' tab,
  3. Select the parameters you want to keep the same settings,
  4. Enter the presets, or preset range you want to reset the amps in,
  5. Hit apply.
DONE!

Holy ship batman! - could it be easier?

If anyone has a list of the parameters to leave alone, please share it - that's the only thing I'm not sure of.

Thanks Al... great work.
Pauly
Open the Fractool app and select the "Amp Resetter" tab,

Where can I find the "" Amp Resetter "tab,"?
Thanks for the help.

Hi all,

Just thought I'd give a big shout out to @AlGrenadine for his wonderful Fractool.

With all the Cygnus updates, one of the tedious chores is loading a preset, looking at the amp setting, trying to remember them, then resetting the amp, then settign the (authentic) controls back to what they were.... Well...
  1. Backup your presets,
  2. Open Fractool and Choose the 'Amp Resetter' tab,
  3. Select the parameters you want to keep the same settings,
  4. Enter the presets, or preset range you want to reset the amps in,
  5. Hit apply.
DONE!

Holy ship batman! - could it be easier?

If anyone has a list of the parameters to leave alone, please share it - that's the only thing I'm not sure of.

Thanks Al... great work.
Pauly
I wasn't sure I was going to bother, but with your cheat sheet right here in front of me, how can I not!? :cool:

Hey @AlGrenadine - can we use FracTool with latest Cygnus beta 12 yet? Just checking quickly...hope so, will try next 48 hours!

Guys, if you try this FracTool amp reset with Live Gold, you really need to freeze certain parameters in audition to everything on the ideal amp page, else you'll loose some of the tweaks I made when you reset.

As always, back up everything before you attempt this. If it goes wrong you can always roll back to saved banks and restore it under prior firmware.

As I recall, FracTool lets you "freeze" various parameters with the amp block when you use the "amp reset" function. You can't freeze them all because Cygnus changes some things like Cathode resistance in new models.

I would freeze:

Speaker comp (usually zero in my presets)... but you may want to play with the new algortihm.

Speaker Impedance Cab type (about 30% of the time I do not use the defaults) and also freeze all the associated things on that page, such Low/Hi resonances, Qs etc.

Input EQ - this is the low cut going into amp and critical to preserve to making sure the reset version isn't too bassy

Amp boost amount (db)

Saturation drive amount... although finding some of these values these need to be updated in Cygnus by me/some changed a good bit in Cygnus

Variac for any Van Halen style/amp presets

(last amp page) Input dynamics - I use this for some amps to add some touch sensitivity

Output compression - usually just a little present on all the clean amp scenes

sorry, typing this on my iPhone.

Last edited:
Thanks for that Austin. I’ll try to give that a go over the weekend if I get time.
Pauly

If you try this with Live Gold, you need to freeze certain parameters in audition to everything on the ideal amp page, make sure you freeze:

speaker comp (usually zero)

Speaker Impedance Cab type (about 30% of the time I do not use the defaults) and also freeze all the associated Low/Hi resonances on that page
Input EQ - this is the low cut going into amp and critical

amp boost amount (db)

Saturation drive amount... although these need to be updated in Cygnus by me/some changed a good bit

Variac for Van Halen presets

Input dynamics

Output compression - usually just a little present on clean scenes

FracTool saved my bacon when I updated from Axe Fx II mkII to XL+.

Just importing my presets directly resulted in everything being 12dB quieter.

Loading thru FracTool was perfect.

Made a donation and I'm constantly advocating for people to use it (and make a donation)!

I don't use it very often, but it's a very good tool to have.

Thanks Al!

Hey @AlGrenadine - can we use FracTool with latest Cygnus beta 12 yet? Just checking quickly...hope so, will try next 48 hours!

Guys, if you try this FracTool amp reset with Live Gold, you really need to freeze certain parameters in audition to everything on the ideal amp page, else you'll loose some of the tweaks I made when you reset.

As always, back up everything before you attempt this. If it goes wrong you can always roll back to saved banks and restore it under prior firmware.

As I recall, FracTool lets you "freeze" various parameters with the amp block when you use the "amp reset" function. You can't freeze them all because Cygnus changes some things like Cathode resistance in new models.

I would freeze:

Speaker comp (usually zero in my presets)... but you may want to play with the new algortihm.

Speaker Impedance Cab type (about 30% of the time I do not use the defaults) and also freeze all the associated things on that page, such Low/Hi resonances, Qs etc.

Input EQ - this is the low cut going into amp and critical to preserve to making sure the reset version isn't too bassy

Amp boost amount (db)

Saturation drive amount... although finding some of these values these need to be updated in Cygnus by me/some changed a good bit in Cygnus

Variac for any Van Halen style/amp presets

(last amp page) Input dynamics - I use this for some amps to add some touch sensitivity

Output compression - usually just a little present on all the clean amp scenes

Yes you can use it
The only thing iz it will produce a preset with internal version aimed for beta4 so idk if the axefx will produce a different sound than if the internal preset version would have been beta 12.
I'll release a beta12 compatible version later if Cliff doesn't release the beast :)

Last edited:
Yes you can use it
The only thing iz it will produce a preset with internal version aimed for beta4 so idk if the axefx will produce a different sound than if the internal preset version would have been beta 12.
I'll release a beta12 compatible version later if Cliff doesn't release the beast :)
Just tried it and some presets got darker than expected. Gonna a wait a bit and just do manual amp resets for now.

Hi again @austinbuddy

FYI, I just converted your gold and bass packs using the following parameters - quite happy overall... none of the darkness you describe so that's why I'm sharing what I chose not to change. If anyone else does it please let us know.
Thanks
Pauly

Bass
Boost
Boost level
bp mode
Bright sw
Bypass
Depth
Drive
Dynamics
EQ
EQ1
EQ2
EQ3
EQ4
EQ5
EQ6
EQ7
EQ8
M.Vol
Mid
Overdrive
Pres
Sat
Sat drive
Spk comp
Spk compliance
Spkr impedence
Treble
Variac

Just tried it and some presets got darker than expected. Gonna a wait a bit and just do manual amp resets for now.

Hi @AlGrenadine

I just had a thought while I was converting the @austinbuddy presets... I needed to up the level in the bass presets by 6db, so I did it for AMp1 and AMP2 using the Batch setter in Fractool.
While I was doing that, I mustnt have been paying attention as I went from left to right, chose the function (increase by), then the Block (Amp1), then parameter, then 'apply to presets' and Apply.
Great.. I watched it start working and noticed...OH SHIT!... the 'Function had reset to 'Set' (rather than increase by)... so yowie.... I had to restore the backup and do it over again, and making sure I chose the parameters in an order that made sense... IE;
Block->Parameter-> Function.... That way, it doesn't reset the function (when you choose block)

So... I have a request that may save me in the future when I forget :)

On the 'Batch Setter' page, could you please change the order of settings to Block, Parameter, Function?

Thanks
Pauly

Yes you can use it

Hi @AlGrenadine

I just had a thought while I was converting the @austinbuddy presets... I needed to up the level in the bass presets by 6db, so I did it for AMp1 and AMP2 using the Batch setter in Fractool.
While I was doing that, I mustnt have been paying attention as I went from left to right, chose the function (increase by), then the Block (Amp1), then parameter, then 'apply to presets' and Apply.
Great.. I watched it start working and noticed...OH SHIT!... the 'Function had reset to 'Set' (rather than increase by)... so yowie.... I had to restore the backup and do it over again, and making sure I chose the parameters in an order that made sense... IE;
Block->Parameter-> Function.... That way, it doesn't reset the function (when you choose block)

So... I have a request that may save me in the future when I forget :)

On the 'Batch Setter' page, could you please change the order of settings to Block, Parameter, Function?

Thanks
Pauly
No, it's old code and a little move breaks everything...

Yes you can use it

Hi Al!
Did you notice that the amp compare function also will not work correct with the beta anymore. It seems that the neg feedback parameter internally got replaced or renamed in Cygnus and Fractool can not write it back to the place/name that Cygnus loads it from.
Cheers
Bernd

Hi Al!
Did you notice that the amp compare function also will not work correct with the beta anymore. It seems that the neg feedback parameter internally got replaced or renamed in Cygnus and Fractool can not write it back to the place/name that Cygnus loads it from.
Cheers
Bernd
Hi Bernd,
Thanks for pointing this out :)
I think it's strange MV got moved, it must be something else
Maybe it's caused by the internal preset version not being set to latest, so the axefx corrects some parameters on load

Amp resetter is definitelly god sent. Thanks AI!

Just a question: I'm unable to find "High Treble" in the list of parameters to keep untouched. I vaguely remember this parameter could have had another name in the past but I'm not sure. Is it there, somewhere?

Back
Top Bottom