Ares is over ...

Did you just make that up?
Haven't see anything like that from Fractal.

If you have a source for that info, please link to it, otherwise it's just FUD for the sake of nothing but a new ignore-list entry.

Apologies for the harsh, but it is what it is.
he made it up , AX2 had MIMIC G3 and then Quantum, a change of version does not mean a change of hardware

I almost wish we hadn't heard about Cygnus. The wait is driving me crazy. Although, I absolutely love my AF3. It's hard to imagine what better will sound like.

I find this fascinating. The current firmware sounds incredible, both in a recording environment and cranked to gig volume. The gentleman who singlehandedly did that says not only can it be better, but that he’s already pulled it off. Who am I to argue....

This is a great time to be a guitar player, having grown up from the late 50's and starting guitar in the mid seventies, with all the amps and music I've listen to, and having now a little black box with processors in it, WOW Just getting better .I love technology (most the time ) :)

I have been getting ready for the summer shows and trying to get my tones dialed in. My question is whether this new rollout will change what I have done or should I keep pushing ahead? I don't want to waste time and have to repeat this in March or April? Anyone else in this situation? I very much appreciate the upgrade, but hope the change doesn't put me back at square one?? Thoughts?

Curious, does the new Cygnus use any more/less horsepower? Will it change anything for cpu use?

my guess is likely more , usually when things are improved and change a whole OS it has more detail , perhaps this has been in the works a while and why fas was saying the drive pitch stuff was using up more CPU than he was willing to give up
just useless speculation but maybe he had to reserve cpu

my guess is likely more , usually when things are improved and change a whole OS it has more detail , perhaps this has been in the works a while and why fas was saying the drive pitch stuff was using up more CPU than he was willing to give up
just useless speculation but maybe he had to reserve cpu
Well it's a double edge sword, I've seen new developers release new versions that are leaner while having improvements.
My biggest fear is pulling more cpu from a system that doesn't have any to give. I mean I'll still gladly do the update, cause of Cliffs comments, but I'm figuring it'll all stay the same, just wanted to hear it

I have been getting ready for the summer shows and trying to get my tones dialed in. My question is whether this new rollout will change what I have done or should I keep pushing ahead? I don't want to waste time and have to repeat this in March or April? Anyone else in this situation? I very much appreciate the upgrade, but hope the change doesn't put me back at square one?? Thoughts?
I have never had to make significant changes after a new firmware update, no matter how much of a change it is. Mostly B,M,T,P and sometimes depth and sag. But, I only use a few presets so the amount of time to adjust is pretty low. If you use a preset for every song then it will naturally take more effort.

Omg. Really looking forward to the new Cygnus animal..
tenor.gif

I have never had to make significant changes after a new firmware update, no matter how much of a change it is. Mostly B,M,T,P and sometimes depth and sag. But, I only use a few presets so the amount of time to adjust is pretty low. If you use a preset for every song then it will naturally take more effort.
The amount of tweaking is directly proportional to the complexity of your presets.

One of my biggest gripes with the II was weighing if I needed the new 'toys' vs updating some 200 presets whenever Cliff had an epiphany.

Every major update for me required redoing every preset, and I never touched anything other than gains, EQ and volume.

I stopped at pre quantum 17.05 or something and just reloaded the fw and backups when we gigged or rehearsal.

There were always a couple whom said they didn't have to make adjustments, but the majority of us do.

This was another reason I moved back to using 4CM with a tube head.

-----Edit-----

Just want to add that I do still fully enjoy the modeling, but reserve that for home / after hours use.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom