Done deal. Thank you

I have a pair of the HR112's, I really like them but honestly have not had the chance to use them much in the last year, when I was shopping for them I had a AX8 some people in the forum threads that I was watching said the 12" were a bit too basey/boomy I did find myself dialing my sound a bit tighter from practicing at home with headphones but I guess that's expected when not using reference monitors. BTW have not tried them yet with my FM3 as my rehearsal studio is full of TP and paper towels, hopefully can get some room and time in the spring. my JCM800 and 1960's cabs are no longer used. Here is a pic of my old rig w/em...
IMG_8075.jpg

Placed my order. I ended up going with the 112s, I'm sure the 108 would have been just fine but I didn't want to get them and wished I would have ordered the 112s. I'm excited to get going on this whole project thanks again guys I'm sure I'm going to have more questions in the future.

Last edited:
I use 2 FRFR 112 headrush cabs in stereo and they sound fantastic. Great for home and playing live. I would imagine the 108's sound just as good. Enjoy!

Placed my order. I ended up going with the 112s, I'm sure the 108 would have been just fine but I didn't want to get them and wished I would have ordered the 112s. I'm excited to get going on this whole project thanks again guys I'm sure I'm going to have more questions in the future.

Well how are they?!

They are more than enough volume wise but I think I'm going to return them, they're a little boomy on the bass and they just have a nasally sound to them like a blanket is over the speaker. A little frustrated but I'm still new to the FM3 so I'm trying to decide what I am going to do.

I have a headrush 108 speaker. When I go from my Kali studio monitors to the 108, I’m not impressed. Like Gbsmusic says, they are too bassy, boxy dull or whatever.

I've been doing research half the night and I really think I'm going to just get the Yamaha HS8s if they're good enough for the Fractal office they have to sound pretty incredible! It does stink that I am going to eat the shipping cost to return the Headrush but I want to be happy.. Always like hearing other opinions though.

I have a pair of the HR112's, I really like them but honestly have not had the chance to use them much in the last year, when I was shopping for them I had a AX8 some people in the forum threads that I was watching said the 12" were a bit too basey/boomy I did find myself dialing my sound a bit tighter from practicing at home with headphones but I guess that's expected when not using reference monitors. BTW have not tried them yet with my FM3 as my rehearsal studio is full of TP and paper towels, hopefully can get some room and time in the spring. my JCM800 and 1960's cabs are no longer used. Here is a pic of my old rig w/em...
View attachment 77344
OT, but what's that laptop stand?

Elevate them off the floor and they will sound "better". But I've already had the Alesis powered speakers (which were offshoots of the Altos which rolled into Headrushland) and I wouldn't give them a second thought. I say this hypocritically as I play my modeling gear through Mustang GT100 and love every poverty drenched minute of it because it sounds so good. The Headrush stuff is cheap but not cheap or functional in any other way that appeals to me.

I have a headrush 108 speaker. When I go from my Kali studio monitors to the 108, I’m not impressed. Like Gbsmusic says, they are too bassy, boxy dull or whatever.
I have a pair of 108s and to me, they blow nearly everything else away (I sold a Line 6 l3m and EV ZLX12 after hearing the 108s). They are quite flat and I do not have any bass-y issues.

@gbsmusic, make sure the contour switch on those headrushes are off. Mine are too boomy with it on. I also have mine elevated about 1 foot off the ground. Mine are also xlr connected with the volume at about 5 on the speakers, output on the fm3 is at about 3:00. Volume to taste for your situation and set up.

Elevate them off the floor and they will sound "better". But I've already had the Alesis powered speakers (which were offshoots of the Altos which rolled into Headrushland) and I wouldn't give them a second thought. I say this hypocritically as I play my modeling gear through Mustang GT100 and love every poverty drenched minute of it because it sounds so good. The Headrush stuff is cheap but not cheap or functional in any other way that appeals to me.
I have two of those Alesis 12s, cost me $400 for the pair new, which was tough to beat, probably not available now.
I have them on stands, not included in that cost.
IMO they're not terrible, but they are a peaky in some high frequencies, and they're unpleasantly uneven as you move around the room.
In general, I don't trust them, but I def can enjoy myself.

Mostly I'm just in my basement these days, only used them in a full band context once so far (8 piece horns band w keyboard, no other guitar).
They weren't ideal, or rather, sounded great (Helix days), but in that huge very high-ceiling barn they barely cut it, limiter lights on a lot.
I guess that's a lot to expect from 2 12s.

IMO they're a good cheap option, probably similar to the HR, but if you can afford better, do it.

Fundamentally though, you need to decide whether in your fantasy brain you're in the studio or live, i.e. FRFR vs studio monitors.

Reactions: JTI
I have two of those Alesis 12s, cost me $400 for the pair new, which was tough to beat, probably not available now.
I have them on stands, not included in that cost.
IMO they're not terrible, but they are a peaky in some high frequencies, and they're unpleasantly uneven as you move around the room.
In general, I don't trust them, but I def can enjoy myself.

Mostly I'm just in my basement these days, only used them in a full band context once so far (8 piece horns band w keyboard, no other guitar).
They weren't ideal, or rather, sounded great (Helix days), but in that huge very high-ceiling barn they barely cut it, limiter lights on a lot.
I guess that's a lot to expect from 2 12s.

IMO they're a good cheap option, probably similar to the HR, but if you can afford better, do it.

Fundamentally though, you need to decide whether in your fantasy brain you're in the studio or live, i.e. FRFR vs studio monitors.
I agree with you 100% on the Alesis. Which should theoretically transfer down in purchasing logic that could be applied to the HR stuff. Powered speakers are just a turn off to buy in general. I get why people argue that they in fact aren't; but it's just sooooo much diminishing returns for most that you are best just picking something that is loud enough and gets out of the way enough for you to play your modeling gear through and enjoy the end result.

I agree with you 100% on the Alesis. Which should theoretically transfer down in purchasing logic that could be applied to the HR stuff. Powered speakers are just a turn off to buy in general. I get why people argue that they in fact aren't; but it's just sooooo much diminishing returns for most that you are best just picking something that is loud enough and gets out of the way enough for you to play your modeling gear through and enjoy the end result.
I'd so much love to try a pair of CLRs, but that's a lot to spend, and both delivery and support from Atomic have been, uh, hit or miss, shall we say. Maybe some day.

Reactions: JTI
I'd so much love to try a pair of CLRs, but that's a lot to spend, and both delivery and support from Atomic have been, uh, hit or miss, shall we say. Maybe some day.
I had one when I had my III a few years ago. It was killer. They don't seem to be very available on the used market and the $ is a tough pill to swallow, imo. I would feel better giving Jay my $ for a revised unit at this point but not sure if he will ever end up releasing an updated version.

I had one when I had my III a few years ago. It was killer. They don't seem to be very available on the used market and the $ is a tough pill to swallow, imo. I would feel better giving Jay my $ for a revised unit at this point but not sure if he will ever end up releasing an updated version.
A while ago he was feeling out the waters for some new speaker design he had, but I didn't get the feeling he actually wanted to release it, and I haven't heard anything further. Not sure I would, I generally stay out of his way...

@gbsmusic, make sure the contour switch on those headrushes are off. Mine are too boomy with it on. I also have mine elevated about 1 foot off the ground. Mine are also xlr connected with the volume at about 5 on the speakers, output on the fm3 is at about 3:00. Volume to taste for your situation and set up.
Yes the contour switch was off. I contacted Sweetwater and they are going to cover the return shipping charges which is great. I am now trying to decide HS8s or giving the 108 Headrush a try. I read about the 112 being bassy and boomy but I thought the 112s would be better. You live and learn. Being new to this with so many options does not help much. I do continue to thank you for your opinions and advice.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom