TC MIMIQ?

Of course, if you delay the non effected signal then you can have the effected signal ahead. But the latency would have to small not to be noticable and irritating.

Kind of mind blowing when you think about it..... 100% delay the "real-time" signal, then the processed signal with minimal actual delay would be before the beat... technically in the "future" if you do all your playing in the delayed "past"LOL

I guess if you can get away from the need to do real-time, it would be simple to do a really good double track effect as a plug-in on existing audio parts, and no doubt this is why some double tracking plug-ins sounded so much more authentic to me than the Mimiq.... they didn't have to deal with real-time playing

Could you possibly add a bandpass filter and PEQ block before the effected delay row with an adsr or lfo controller attached to the filter and PEQ's Q and Frequency (a slight nudge in the upper midrange of the PEQ for pick attack) to simulate differing pick attacks. Even take it step further and add in a null filter with input gain being randomly modulated to get the difference in dynamics.

Could you possibly add a bandpass filter and PEQ block before the effected delay row with an adsr or lfo controller attached to the filter and PEQ's Q and Frequency (a slight nudge in the upper midrange of the PEQ for pick attack) to simulate differing pick attacks. Even take it step further and add in a null filter with input gain being randomly modulated to get the difference in dynamics.

I tried something like that when I first got the Mimiq in an attempt to mimic it. I combined an envelope with a random LFO to get some variation in the attack dynamics. It sort of worked, but not very well. Trying to apply an effect to only the attack is pretty difficult in the AxeFX.

Anyway, as I mentioned above, it's the way the delay time is modulated that is the key with the Mimiq. AFAIK, there's no way to do the same thing in the AxeFX. To be done properly, it requires trigger events, but the AxeFX only has continuous modulation sources. That's not to say a passable doubling effect can't be done in the AxeFX, but, AFAIK, faithfully emulating a Mimiq can't be done in an AxeFX. There was a wish thread recently about controlling the stepping of the sequencer. Something like that might help.

Last edited:
The best way I've found to get the ultra wideness thing going is to use the Pitch Block with a Detuner going +8ct hard panned to one side and -8ct hard panned to the other side with the dry in the middle.

Does anybody make a pedal that does that? I'd kill for a pedal that did exactly this with these 3 knobs:
1. Depth, which would control +[value]ct and -[value]ct on each side equally
2. Mix
3. Level
...with stereo outputs, and maybe a switch that lets you pick between "+, -, or Both" if you go Mono.

@Admin M@ and I emulated this easily on the Axe. I'll find the block and post it.

Please do. Hey... you are the guy that got me going down this path ha ha, so any advice would be fantastic!
Why do you suppose JP prefers the pedal? Is it because it's out front and he only uses the AXE in the loop? That seems to make sense to me.
I have tried the enhancer block, delays and other methods but have never come close to what I am after, and what I have gotten is exactly what lqdsnddist describes.

The best way I've found to get the ultra wideness thing going is to use the Pitch Block with a Detuner going +8ct hard panned to one side and -8ct hard panned to the other side with the dry in the middle.
Have you tried the Stereoizer type of the Enhancer block? For me it works better... But I used a similar approach before that (+/-9ct).

Yep. It would have to see into the future to be ahead.

Or you can swap the delayed and non-delayed channels to avoid any extra latency. (See link in post #7.)

Anyway, as I mentioned above, it's the way the delay time is modulated that is the key with the Mimiq. AFAIK, there's no way to do the same thing in the AxeFX. To be done properly, it requires trigger events, but the AxeFX only has continuous modulation sources.

I guess I'll just post the link again. https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/various-presets-tricks.135770/#post-1620271

Very clever! In fact, I gave that a like back then. But, I was never able to get it to work without clicking. Regardless of whether it works or not, kudos on a really smart idea!

It should be possible to reduce the clicking, but I haven't worked on the preset since then. Basically the MTD level modifier setup (the 4 peaks when overlaid) would have to change a bit (additional modifiers, maybe vol/pan or filter blocks for bypass purposes) so delay levels can't jump up and down quickly when it's going between two non-adjacent values on the graph.

I remember especially liking your idea of modulating a mix of 4 delays, instead of trying to modulate a delay time. But, yes the clicking then becomes a challenge. What's really needed is a miniblep on the transitions. But as I mentioned above, the Mimiq isn't without its own artifacts.

I remember especially liking your idea of modulating a mix of 4 delays, instead of trying to modulate a delay time. But, yes the clicking then becomes a challenge. What's really needed is a miniblep on the transitions. But as I mentioned above, the Mimiq isn't without its own artifacts.
The last update that I got from them a while back helped a lot with the artifacts. I am sure there are still some present. I am trying to talk the band into running stereo since we have a nice Behringer X32 board. If so I may start using it again.

I have a Mimiq, don’t like it as much as my H3000SE doubling program, which was a fixed 6ms on one side and a modulating delay on the other between 0-18ms. The H3000 has a random step wave lfo, I think that’s the right name, which would hold a value for a time and then step to another. There were crossfade settings and some other parameters that made it sound closer to double tracking than the Mimiq.

I think that’s the closet we might get to a true doubling effect: multiple delays within a few milliseconds, crossfaded between them and which only change when muted, and a very short fixed delay on the other side. That way you can be ahead or behind, just like with real doubling. And if the delay times are stepping to new values while muted, you wouldn’t get the chorus sounding effect. Does that make sense? If so, it should not be so hard to do in the Axe, right?

I think that’s the closet we might get to a true doubling effect: multiple delays within a few milliseconds, crossfaded between them and which only change when muted, and a very short fixed delay on the other side. That way you can be ahead or behind, just like with real doubling. And if the delay times are stepping to new values while muted, you wouldn’t get the chorus sounding effect. Does that make sense? If so, it should not be so hard to do in the Axe, right?

Timing the muting and time changes might be tricky. Maybe not impossible, but easier to just use as many separate taps as needed in one or more delay/MTD blocks.

Back
Top Bottom