TC MIMIQ?

Pinkycramps

Experienced
I was watching the Doug Doppler/John Petrucci live podcast with Cooper Carter, Uncle Ben, Doug West, Sterling Ball and some other guys. During a discussion about JP's rig John talked about the TC MIMIQ pedal and what a great tool it is.

He uses it split out to two seperate Boogie amps, that both run back the the AXE III for FX via the loops. I am wondering about using it in front of the AXE into a dual amp rig. I think it would probably get wired into two separate inputs 1+2.

Does anyone use it, and if so, do you use it this way? Is there anything in the AXE that replicates this the same way, or is this pedal really that much better at creating that doubled guitar effect? I have tried (unsuccessfully) to create a double tracked guitar sound live, and I thinking about giving this pedal a shot.

Ha ha Watched it as well. Just came here from Reverb scoping out prices. I as well have tried all kinds of tricks in the AFX to build a wider sound.

I've used it a fair bit. I've used it in an effects loop both after a single cab block to simulate double tracking with identical settings, and before 2 cab blocks to put different sounds left and right. Because of the way it does envelope triggering, there's no way to accomplish the same thing in the axe fx. It is a pretty good double tracking emulator, the best effect of its kind. However, it doesn't sound as good as true double tracked guitars, and you do occasionally get noticeable artifacts. For live use, you may be happy with the results though.

Is there anything in the AXE that replicates this the same way, or is this pedal really that much better at creating that doubled guitar effect?

It's going to be one or two or more delay lines running in parallel to the dry with super short delay times, plus something that nudges the delay times back and forth slightly while you play, an LFO or envelope or something. Delay time would be somewhere between 0 and 20 ms probably, you'd have to experiment with where you like it to sit depending on what sound you want. Try just running a delay block in parallel set at 5ms or so, 100% mix 0% feedback, then attach an LFO modifier to delay time that only nudges the time a few milliseconds either direction...

It's going to be one or two or more delay lines running in parallel to the dry with super short delay times, plus something that nudges the delay times back and forth slightly while you play, an LFO or envelope or something. Delay time would be somewhere between 0 and 20 ms probably, you'd have to experiment with where you like it to sit depending on what sound you want. Try just running a delay block in parallel set at 5ms or so, 100% mix 0% feedback, then attach an LFO modifier to delay time that only nudges the time a few milliseconds either direction...
This is pretty much my thoughts for years to simulate double tracking.

However I had in mind some way to somehow randomly nudge the delay times within those specified short delay parameters.

I’ve yet to work on this till now ☹️

the new pitch block in beta 12.08 and the chromatic delay types set to no shift or no detune, add a few different delay times to the voices sounded better than the youtube demos of the mimiq, at least to me. If you add detune you get a chorus like effect that sounds different than the pedal. I'm sure it can be done with a little experimenting and patience.

For a bigger, wider sound you can always use the Enhancer block. It's not the same as the Mimiq, or Helix's Double Take, but I LOVE it for a wide, stereo sound. It doesn't quite do that "multiple guitar" sound, but it's pretty good. I suspect with the advances in the pitch block, there might very well be a Mimiq-like block in the works. Put it in the wish list; couldn't hurt :)

Anyone know what the mimiq is doing? It sounds like each voice has a variable ms delay with the tightness control and an eq or filter for each voice, also a level control for each voice. I don't really hear pitch variation or if it does it's a very small amount but I'm just guessing.

I was watching the Doug Doppler/John Petrucci live podcast with Cooper Carter, Uncle Ben, Doug West, Sterling Ball and some other guys. During a discussion about JP's rig John talked about the TC MIMIQ pedal and what a great tool it is.

He uses it split out to two seperate Boogie amps, that both run back the the AXE III for FX via the loops. I am wondering about using it in front of the AXE into a dual amp rig. I think it would probably get wired into two separate inputs 1+2.

Does anyone use it, and if so, do you use it this way? Is there anything in the AXE that replicates this the same way, or is this pedal really that much better at creating that doubled guitar effect? I have tried (unsuccessfully) to create a double tracked guitar sound live, and I thinking about giving this pedal a shot.
I dont know if you need to go that extreme to get what you want. I had one set up a while back. It was in an effects loop using out3 and in3 right at the end of the chain. I had the dubs switch set to 1, the tighness knob to about 11 o'clock, the effects set to 3 o'clock, and the dry set the same. It sounded amazing. I got to try it out on the board during rehearsal, but never got to play it live since we dont run stereo. I tried more extreme settings such as setting dubs to 2 and 3, but thought the effect was just too much.

I also tried the Classic Enhancer block on the AXE3. I though that sounded pretty good as well. The benefit of the Mimiq is that it randomly varies the delay and pitch change constantly to give a more human feel.

Anyone know what the mimiq is doing? It sounds like each voice has a variable ms delay with the tightness control and an eq or filter for each voice, also a level control for each voice. I don't really hear pitch variation or if it does it's a very small amount but I'm just guessing.
It splits your signal and then adds a randomly variable pitch and delay to the copy to give the impression that there is another guitarist doubling what you are playing. The effects are slight but enough to be perceptible.

If anyone wants to buy mine send me a PM. I have one that I used in my acoustic rig for a while to fatten it up, but I would up just running stereo and removed it from my pedal board.

One thing it does is it varies the attack envelope, so the dynamics between the voices differ a bit. There is some eq filtering of the attack phase of the note as well. The most important thing it does however, is it changes the delay time at the onset of a note. For the duration of a note however, it leaves the delay time intact. The trick is to correctly detect the onset of a note. A lot of that has to do with where you put it in your signal chain. When it gets that right, it sounds great. When it gets that wrong, it's very noticeable.

Listening to youtube videos isn't the best example but I hear the delay and eq filtering. If there's pitch variation going on its very subtle because the slightest amount makes more a chorus sound than a double tracked sound.

I bought one and honestly didn't like the results..... I did everything that I think should of given the best results, ie; running each output into its own unique amp block etc, but at anything other than minimum settings it just sounded like a bad chorus-y type sound, and just didn't really come close to what I get when I actually really double take my recordings. Perhaps my playing it just so bad that its outside the range of randomization the pedal applies LOL ?

I was really thinking I was going to love it and it would be an always on part of my rig, but I really couldn't return it quick enough. Just did not do remotely what I expected, and that was sound like two guitars playing at once, opposed to a kind of weird delayed/chorus type sound.

I think the real issue is that when you really double track, or have two guitars, you not only have pitch variation, but you also can be late, on time, or EARLY, and as the pedal can't see the future, it can't be early, so its only able to vary how slightly delayed in timing the additional "player" is, no logically its not going to sound the same as real double tracked+ parts.

I know some people really like it, and maybe for certain styles it works well, but just sharing my experience with it and that I didn't like what it did at all

I also tried the Classic Enhancer block on the AXE3. I though that sounded pretty good as well. The benefit of the Mimiq is that it randomly varies the delay and pitch change constantly to give a more human feel.

It might be a good random delay, but its always going to be a delay, either on time, or varying amounts of late timing, but never a fraction ahead of the beat, which is what real human feel results in, slightly early, slightly late.

It might be a good random delay, but its always going to be a delay, either on time, or varying amounts of late timing, but never a fraction ahead of the beat, which is what real human feel results in, slightly early, slightly late.
Of course, if you delay the non effected signal then you can have the effected signal ahead. But the latency would have to small not to be noticable and irritating.

Back
Top Bottom