Closed Changing Amp Models without changing any of the parameters

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are lots of parameters that would be really incorrect or inappropriate to keep depending on the amp architecture.

Or are you referring to just the "basic" controls like Bass, Mid, Treble, etc?

I think if you use "ideal" mode in the Global settings then those will be retained.

Edit:

F18A21DC-8FAF-4FD2-9FAE-3EE0EB452F83.jpeg

I hoped for this feature for ages now: being able to set your parameters as you like and then just change amp models without resetting any of the parameters to truly compare the amp models.
That won’t give you a true comparison. Settings that give you a great tone on one amp could give you a muddy mess on another amp.

+1 ! a "settings hold" switch for blocks... when changing algorithm, switch "on" holds input EQ, master volume, level, tonestack, power amp, and output EQ settings.

Effects blocks switch "on" holds level, mix, time, size, feedback, depth, rate.

SmartSelect_20200425-150038_Chrome.jpg

Seems to me that this might create more confusion than convenience.

It just applies to within the same block, changing amp types, or changing effect model. One button that holds the knobs at their settings when you go to browse other models. One amp to the next, keeping those settings across model type would be less audible change than it makes now when it snaps all the settings to the model default and makes your ears bleed because you forgot to turn the level back down.

Also one chorus model to the next, or phaser model, or reverb...one algorithm to the next with the same settings would just allow you to audition the differences between models, holding your preferred mix/time/size/depth settings. Would be super helpful saving a lot of time auditioning sounds to be able to hold knob positions while browsing model types, to compare models now takes loading up all the channels of the block, and an endless amount of knobbing going back and forth across channels to load, set, duplicate, compare, load, reset, compare. You could do all the comparing and auditioning you want in just one channel with a "settings hold" switch, without having to do any knobing at all.

I don’t get how this would work, or really what the point would be....

if your using a Fender model with the “Magic 6” setting (and the MV to 10) and then you changed to a Mesa recto model would you expect it to sound remotely the same, or good, with everything set to 6’s ?

would anyone in real life try to dial in two totally different amps with the same settings ?

isnt the beauty of accurate amp modeling that amps that get more powertube distortion can have a higher MV and amps that get their tone from the preamp don’t sound good with the MV cranked, because that is how they really sound and react ?

Too much difference between algo’s and parameters for this to work. Keeping MV and level fixed won’t guarantee consistent levels. Depth at a certain value will have very different (weird) results when switching Flanger types. And so on and on.

1. People that would use it wouldn't be going back and forth comparing a recto to a fender with the same settings, that's nonsensical.

2. There is not that much audible difference between algorithms, 2 pole vs 4 pole, room vs hall vs cave, for the mix/level/time knobs or the depth/rate/mix knobs held across model changes to cause problems. unless of course the block already had problems, and certain settings caused a crash, in which case saying it "can't be done" is...another discussion...

3. The same MV and level across amp types already has drastically differing output levels, inconsistent with power rating. USA Lead power amp at 85 watts is much louder than 100 recto. The purpose of this switch, holding MV and level across model types is just to maintain a user's preferred MV sweet spot, which on most all amps is the bottom third of the knob. Someone using this switch would be auditioning different model types with the same settings, that's the point of holding the settings while switching model type.

he purpose of this switch, holding MV and level across model types is just to maintain a user's preferred MV sweet spot, which on most all amps is the bottom third of the knob.

The visual position of MV in the model has no relation with the MV setting on the real amp whatsoever.

1. People that would use it wouldn't be going back and forth comparing a recto to a fender with the same settings, that's nonsensical.
I think you underestimate people...
2. There is not that much audible difference between algorithms, 2 pole vs 4 pole, room vs hall vs cave, for the mix/level/time knobs or the depth/rate/mix knobs to cause problems. unless of course the block already had problems, and certain settings caused a crash, in which case saying it "can't be done" is...another discussion...
This wish is about the Amp block, not other blocks.
3. The same MV and level across amp types already has drastically differing output levels, inconsistent with power rating. USA Lead power amp at 85 watts is much louder than 100 recto. The purpose of this switch, holding MV and level across model types is just to maintain a user's preferred MV sweet spot, which on most all amps is the bottom third of the knob. Someone using this switch would be auditioning different model types with the same settings, that's the point of holding the settings while switching model type.
Again, I think you're giving too much credit on how people would use something like this.

Also, your comment on the MV is completely off base, IMO. The position is very dependent on the amp model in question.

I think you underestimate people...

What other people do with it isn't relevant to the discussion about what it's for. It's a switch that holds the knobs where they're set. A switch that enables, "do not load default knob values on model change".

This wish is about the Amp block, not other blocks

I added to the wish, because it's relevant to all block types, when you're dealing with workflows that require high amounts of repetition, duplication, comparison tasks.

Again, I think you're giving too much credit on how people would use something like this.

Other people's capacity for personal responsibility isn't a concern of mine, because I'm an adult.

Also, your comment on the MV is completely off base, IMO. The position is very dependent on the amp model in question.

Across all amp types, if my preferred MV setting is 1.5, and most amps default to at least 3, allot of them 5, I want the amps to stay at MV 1.5 while I browse them.

I thought you had me on ignore Unix dude, are you bored in quarantine

This is exactly what the amp compare function does in FracTool ;)
Is there any way to either...
  1. Make a small library where user named 'presets' of pre-checked parameters can be stored, that can be selected when amp resetting. Maybe even a few pre-setup presets as a starting place, Fender, Plexi, MV-Marshall, Vox, Boogie, etc...?
  2. And/Or.... Arrange the parameter list with (check-able) 'Tab' categories in the same order as in the editor, with all of the same (check-able) parameters within that tab as sub-categories? That way the user could easily select the entire 'Tab' (Ideal, Authentic, Power amp, GEQ, etc..., with one click.

Last edited:
As mentioned, this would be a great feature when going through Friedmans or Marshalls or what have you. It would especially be cool if the feature could be turned on or off.

Is there any way to either...
  1. Make a small library where user named 'presets' of pre-checked parameters can be stored, that can be selected when amp resetting. Maybe even a few pre-setup presets as a starting place, Fender, Plexi, MV-Marshall, Vox, Boogie, etc...?
  2. And/Or.... Arrange the parameter list with (check-able) 'Tab' categories in the same order as in the editor, with all of the same (check-able) parameters within that tab as sub-categories? That way the user could easily select the entire 'Tab' (Ideal, Authentic, Power amp, GEQ, etc..., with one click.
You're talking about amp resetter function, not amp compare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom