AX8 NAMM - Effects Only

TaylorU

I got to perform with my band yesterday at NAMM and attend. Great show this year and a TON of new gear coming.... One thing I did see was Lindsay Ell a country artist perform and she was using the AX8 for effects only into a Vox AC30. The tone was pretty damn good. I know there are threads on this and I looked at them, but could not get a definitive answer. Anyone use the AX8 for effects only? So basically removing the amp and cab sim but just run effects in parallel... Is there any tone suck going from 1/4" out to amp? Would love to hear anyone's experience with trying it.

I am going to experiment this weekend and try it out. Let y'all know my experience.

Works great. I sold my 1st-run FX8 after I bought an AX8 because I really couldn't hear the difference in that scenario, and AX8 added amp modeling, which is obviously useful for other rig scenarios :). I've not only tested, but gigged my AX8 straight into front end of amps, into fxloop return of tube amps (using amp modeling), into solid-state amp powering guitar cab, and FR direct to PA. Super flexible.

Lindsay is a great player! I got to watch her play up close a few times, up here in Calgary (Canada) where we're both from. Well before she moved to Nashville and went superstar.

Well I gave it a go and ran my AX8 into my Fender Super Sonic (no effects loop). Ran it 1/4 out and I heard a lot of noise. I am guessing the Humbuster cable will help a lot with that. But, I can really tell there is tone suck. It's pretty apparent, to me. Any tips or tricks to eliminate this tone suck or is it just because the AX8 is not designed for unity gain? One more question, does the FX8 HAVE to be hooked up via 4cm? Or can you go traditional 1/4 in and 1/4 out to amp? Thanks!

When I had mine there wasn't any hum or "tone suck" but you do need to be sure levels are maxed on the unit.
I had made copies of my gig presets with "NOAMP" for places with backline. Worked great.

Back
Top Bottom