Talkbox Options?

badmagick

Inspired
Hey all...
In my old rig I used a talk box that ran inline with the speaker out of my mesa power amp then to the speaker. It was an old school setup that fit my needs well. I am now full frfr with the ax8 and would like to use a talk box for songs like Kickstart My Heart and Rocky Mountain Way among others. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Tim

Yeah dude thanks! I think that will do it. The banshee 2 looks pretty cool. A couple extras that could be useful. A buddy of mine actually had one a while back. I can’t believe I didn’t think of it. Thanks again

They are pretty cool. I had the first version. As I recall depending how you hooked it up you could kill your amp and just use the talk box? The amp that was built in was ok but would have been nice to have more control over its tone. The II looks pretty sweet way more ways to incorporate it into your rig. On a side note it's really important to have good teeth using one of those. LOL If you don't you'll see what I mean!

There is also the formant block you could try and dial in for what you need. There is a good patch from user Moke on his site. He has an audio clip example.
https://www.custompresets.com/store/p22/'Aerosmith'_-_'Sweet_Emotion'_-_For_Humbucker_Pickups_(Axe-Fx_ll).html
Even better....https://www.custompresets.com/store/p233/_'Bon_Jovi'_-_'Livin'_on_a_Prayer'_-_For_Humbucker_Pickups_(AX8).html

The Banshee will give you more control. The 'Formant' block is cool, but you can't form words.

I’ve been eyeing up a lot of moke’s stuff for a while. It’s all pretty wicked. It’s the word forming I really need in this case. I can honestly live without it but my band mates are bitchin about it so much lately and I just want to shut em up...;)

Hey all...
In my old rig I used a talk box that ran inline with the speaker out of my mesa power amp then to the speaker. It was an old school setup that fit my needs well. I am now full frfr with the ax8 and would like to use a talk box for songs like Kickstart My Heart and Rocky Mountain Way among others. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Tim
Get yourself a portable power amp, feed it into your talk box, and rip!

upload_2018-12-28_0-32-42.jpeg
44-magnum.jpg

Haven't really looked around to see if there is one but a mouth controlled expression pedal thingy would be kind of cool to ad realism to the whole formant thing. And the internet strikes again.
http://tecontrol.se/products
Not the same thing. A breath controller doesn't know about the shape of your mouth, which is what talk boxes are all about. It just knows how hard you're blowing into it (though that one monitors a few other things as well).

I use the Banshee II, I've owned a Heil before as well but I didn't like needing a second amp/pedal to run it. The Banshee II is nice as it's built in and I find the tone to be great. I haven't been able to figure out the Frampton type "quack" he gets as compared to every other user I hear, but Man In The Box and Livin On a Prayer sound perfect. When I use it it's run always engaged, in the loop of my AX8, and added to the signal by the scene. So I can have 1 scene no talkbox, 1 scene 50/50 talkbox and "dry", and 1 scene 100% talkbox. Perfect for parts of those above 2 songs. I have 2 Alto TS310's both with 2 inputs, so I can run the AX8 to one and the microphone to the other. Or instead I could run the AX8 to both in stereo, and the mic in the 2nd channel of each as well.

I have the Heil and I may have a little power amp type thing kicking around just to try it. But I like the idea of incorporating it with scenes. Actually, the Banshee II attracted me because it looks like you can run it with and without the guitar signal passing through. But if you use it in the fx loop with scenes as you mentioned, looks like I can get away with the original Banshee and save a few bucks!

I have the Heil and I may have a little power amp type thing kicking around just to try it. But I like the idea of incorporating it with scenes. Actually, the Banshee II attracted me because it looks like you can run it with and without the guitar signal passing through. But if you use it in the fx loop with scenes as you mentioned, looks like I can get away with the original Banshee and save a few bucks!
Yeah when I bought the Banshee II, I was using an amp instead of the AX8 so having the wet/dry mix was nice, but definitely for this setup the II is overkill. With the mix control of the loop in the AX8 you can make any ratio you want. Depending on your tastes you could probably make some pretty crazy sounds layering a talkbox with the synth block, multi-delay,...

The MXR Talkbox is the best talkbox I’ve used. Built-in amp, easy to setup, always attracts attention.

I wonder why nobody ever came up with alternatives to sending the teeth-shattering amp signal through a speaker-mic combo to measure the resonance characteristics of the oral cavity. I mean, with todays technology available wouldn't it be possible to use a low-power test signal sender/receiver placed in your mouth angle to create something like a real-time IR and feed it into an EQ model ?

Haven't been able to try one personally yet, but the Boss Vocoder VO-1 looks like a convenient option and one isn't required to suck on a hose.
This demo at about 4:30 sounds pretty convincing.

If the OP wants to follow that route, then the TC Synth Talkbox is also another option. I primarily now use it for its vocal features.

Back
Top Bottom